CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

So far so good

JIMDTS

The 07 DTS I have is doing fine. The roads are bad in Michigan. At 35K I needed wheel bearings, tie rod ends and a new rack & pinion. It was all sloppy with a lot of play. She drives like it just came out of the factory. I just spent this morning doing some detail work. I wheeled the car out and put a coat of wax on it. The wheels were looking a little shabby it was time for some Mothers Mag polish they cleaned up great. Next week I'll detail the interior and change the coolant. Just preventative stuff. I have been having a tough time finding dex cool. I guess I will have to pick it up at the dealer.

IMG_5246.jpg

.... I have been having a tough time finding dex cool. I guess I will have to pick it up at the dealer.

WalMart has DEX-COOL, Texaco/Havoline and Prestone brands. Just be sure the Prestone container says DEX-COOL.

Sweet looking ride.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Man that is a lot of work for 35,000 miles.

Hi Everyone

Not really the work was not that much. A couple hr. job. When I checked the front end it was all sloppy. You could grab the wheels and rock them back and forth they had a lot of end play. Stuff wears out. A car with sloppy tie rod end and bearings will never ride great. I have no issues with that. Any car would have problems hitting pot holes is never good for the suspension. After the parts were changed and all aligned up. The car tracks great. No issues my tires are still good but in the near future they will need to be changed. I figure I can squeak out 10 to 15k on them. If I can get 10k I'll be happy. I bet if you put just about any car with 35k on the hoist and check the bearing and tie rods. You will find more bad ones than good ones.

My '92 had 125K and my '97 had 107K. I changed one bearing on the '92 at around 75K. Never changed a tie rod on either. My wife's '96 Bonneville has 160K on it and has the original bearings and tie rods. I think that is really premature Jim.

The 07 DTS I have is doing fine. The roads are bad in Michigan. At 35K I needed wheel bearings, tie rod ends and a new rack & pinion. It was all sloppy with a lot of play. She drives like it just came out of the factory. I just spent this morning doing some detail work. I wheeled the car out and put a coat of wax on it. The wheels were looking a little shabby it was time for some Mothers Mag polish they cleaned up great. Next week I'll detail the interior and change the coolant. Just preventative stuff. I have been having a tough time finding dex cool. I guess I will have to pick it up at the dealer.

IMG_5246.jpg

Very nice looking automobile.

Posted Image

Hey Jim, good to see you, that is a beauty.

I am a little surprised that you could need such parts at 35K myself. Exactly how bad are the roads? Needing bearings at that mileage is shocking

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Ranger

I guess you were lucky with your cars. Keep in mind they were not that bad. But bad enough to be changed. The LF drivers side bearing was sloppy that had the most play. Same with the tie rod. The RF was not that bad. But if you want this stuff to be correct it should be changed as a set. The rack and pinion was starting to leak. It was all wet around the gear. So that is never good. I don't think it was premature. It all depends on driving habits and the roads the car is driven on. Plus my front tiree were not wearing evenly. After I drove the car out of the dealer. I was trying to find a good stretch of road. So I could check the alignment. So far so good. I never did find a good stretch of road. All the roads I drove home on sucked.

Texas Jim

Very Nice looking DTS. I'm not crazy about the color of mine. This time I wanted a light color car. Much easier to keep looking good. And that is great. I think the DTS looks the best in black. I like the white diamond you have. The silver color I have looks very nice at night but during the day time it's not that sharp. I'm surprised to see so many silver cars on the road.

Mike

The roads are very bad. The freeways suck. Plenty of bumps and pot holes. The car really gets a good work out on some roads. When all the suspension is bouncing around stuff is going to wear. On the Cadillac's I owned. I have never went past 50k of suspension parts. Mostly stuff like bearings and tie rods. All were real sloppy at 50k .

remember that less than 1% of all caddy owners come to this site so 1 or 2 reports of failures is therefore an extremely small percent of car owners. the fact that driving on rough roads causes a 2 yr old car with 35k miles to need new front end components is not a big deal. you would just think that a fairly heavy and sturdy car like a dts would be able to absorb the pounding. thats what a suspension does, absorb road shock.

remember that less than 1% of all caddy owners come to this site so 1 or 2 reports of failures is therefore an extremely small percent of car owners. the fact that driving on rough roads causes a 2 yr old car with 35k miles to need new front end components is not a big deal. you would just think that a fairly heavy and sturdy car like a dts would be able to absorb the pounding. thats what a suspension does, absorb road shock.

That's a quote above, but I have somehow lost my controls.

Anyway, I'm not sure that I'd even classify this as premature failure. I'm thinking more along the lines of pro-active maintenance. A "little sloppy" may actually fall into the acceptable limits for wear, but if you want to keep that "like new" feeling, it would be something that you might do. Same thing with the leaking steering gear, who knows how long that wetness needed to accumulate? I'd have cleaned it off with starting fluid and kept an eye on it. But that's just me.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I just had mine in today at 66K as the warranty expires on the 20th. They replaced a leaky strut (it was just slightly damp at the top) and a leaky steering rack that I was unaware was leaking. Then a 4 wheel alignment. Had a 6 1/2 hr wait, but I guess I did OK in the long run. I'd have taken a loaner, but I was not expecting the rack problem and figured I'd get our quicker.

Hi Ranger

You did better than me you went to 66k. Who knows how long your steering rack was wet?

Good you had you car fixed up prior to the warranty expiring. Plenty of stuff lingering around on our cars. You just have to keep an eye out for things that are amiss. When I check my cars out I look in all the obvious places for issues. Sometimes I catch them before it's a bigger problem. It all about preventative maintenance.

I usually keep a close watch on things. He really surprised me when he came back and said that the rack was wet. The service writer said that he wrote it up to check thee front end. I found it interesting that he told me they DO NOT like them to "upsell" warranty work. Good thing he likes me.

Archived