CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

extended warranties

tonyny

Mine from the dealer, GM major guard or whatever its called, will be expiring soon. I added it to the original warranty when I bought the car in 2005. Its an '03 caddy DTS.

Now I guess I'm stuck with warranties from outside GM. Any GOOD ones? Seems to be a lot of scams out there.

Thanks for any info.

"Capital punishment means never having to say, "You again"?

ehh.. wish i could help you. i see the ones that are advertised on television and get phone calls from some auto dialer all the time telling me it's my last chance (each and every time) but have never actually purchased one

now, this isn't going to help you and is completely off topic, but i'm p'd.. recently i bought a 2004 monte carlo ss dale edition and it worked perfectly until about a month after a left the dealer, declining to the extended warranty because i enjoy gettin dirty and intimate with my cars. since then, i have had numerous electrical problems (the part of getting dirty with my car that i consider "smut" - i hate/usually suck at trying to find the culprit behind these) and the heated seat element went out. i haven't gone directly to GM for it, but read in a few places on the internet that the heated seat is either a free warranty repair or they replace the entire seat at a p&l cost of 1000 dollars to the owner.

soooo.. hoping you have better luck than life usually dictates when you DON'T purchase the extended warranty, my advice is find a good one :)

but really, i'd say that whatever you decide on (and don't just take online advice from a happy customer or two..) to make sure and read the fine print and take special note of what's excluded. be sure that things that you wouldn't consider normal wear and tear are not specifically excluded from coverage or made out to be treated as normal wear and tear in the policy. for instance, you should expect to pay for shocks and brakes and not to for head gaskets, rod knocks, or a malfunctioning PCM. fine print allows a company to get out of any specific promises of service and satisfaction their marketing department may make you. good luck

I've had Wynn's Extended Care on my past three cars, and had no issues at all. The last contract was on my Eldo, which was a 5-year/50k mile warranty. I added the "high-tech" option, which covered more or less all the major electrical components. I don't recall the exact price, but it was just shy of $1400. Long story short, it paid out over $3k in repairs. Completely covered was an alternator, a/c compressor, fuel level sensor, two power window motors, water pump, and some other things that now run my mind. No "major repairs", but I got my money's worth! They paid the dealer or shop directly, and never argued any claims. Overall, I was very happy with their service. (I hope they're still around!)

The car had about 40k miles on it when I had the warranty written, and now has about 120k. I've been without a warranty for about three years now, and I'm happy to say that I'm just as comfortable owning this car. I keep up on all maintenance, and take care of minor problems quickly. So far (knocking on wood), this approach has worked! I realize that I'm driving a high performance car that's now over a decade old, but I still have very high confidence in it, even out of warranty.

I must have gotten a dozen "last chance" notices.

Why not put the $2000 in the bank instead, then you'll have it when and IF you need it.

You mean that you -stopped- getting them? I'm still getting "final" notices...................

I was treated very fairly by a company called Warranty Direct. I paid less than $1,300 and they paid out nearly 6K in the 7yrs I had my contract (including Head Gaskets & Timeserts). They've been around a LONG time and paid my dealership directly for the repairs.

Also you might be able to extend your GMPP for another year or even two. Have you talked to the dealer?

I was treated very fairly by a company called Warranty Direct. I paid less than $1,300 and they paid out nearly 6K in the 7yrs I had my contract (including Head Gaskets & Timeserts). They've been around a LONG time and paid my dealership directly for the repairs.

Also you might be able to extend your GMPP for another year or even two. Have you talked to the dealer?

I didn't think I could extend it. I'll ask them. Thanks to all that replied.

Why not put the $2000 in the bank instead, then you'll have it when and IF you need it.

Up to 2-1/2 years ago, I kept getting letters from a shyster warranty company called DM. Their logo looked exactly like the GM logo only "DM"... The cover letter was always the same - "The factory warranty on your 1986 Buick Park Avenue is about to expire..." The car was 20 years old! The factory warranty expired in 1989..... And the best part was the warranty cost was $1800.... the car was only worth $600 at the time.....

I always used to chuckle when I'd pull another one of those envelopes out of the mailbox. Once I sold the car, the letters stopped coming so the shysters must have had access to the DMV records.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I also have a Wynns Extended Service Deluxe Plan on my Caddy which pretty much covers any and everything with a $100 deductible. You can have the repairs done at whatever shop you choose, and you dont have to pay for the repairs and wait for them to reimberse you. So far im happy. My warranty was worked into the purchase price of my car and im so happy I have it. If my headbolts ever pull, its just a $100 repair bill on my end. If my tranny goes, another $100. I have a brochure explaining everything it covers, and its offered in three different levels depending on how much you want to spend. I opted for the top of the line (deluxe) package thats covers just about everything on the car. Wise purchase in my book. These cars have expensive repair bills if you dont know how to do the work yourself.

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

I received 2 of those "last chance" calls today. It started off something like: Here is the information you requested. Well, that was all I heard because I hung up. :rolleyes:

I have no warranty, no issues, no regrets and more money in my pocket.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

You mean that you -stopped- getting them? I'm still getting "final" notices...................

Funny you should ask John. I just got another one today.

Up to 2-1/2 years ago, I kept getting letters from a shyster warranty company called DM. Their logo looked exactly like the GM logo only "DM"... The cover letter was always the same - "The factory warranty on your 1986 Buick Park Avenue is about to expire..." The car was 20 years old! The factory warranty expired in 1989..... And the best part was the warranty cost was $1800.... the car was only worth $600 at the time.....

I always used to chuckle when I'd pull another one of those envelopes out of the mailbox. Once I sold the car, the letters stopped coming so the shysters must have had access to the DMV records.

Funny my wife came to me last night almost in tears because some clown called her on her cell phone saying her warranty was expired! On her car (the '01 STS) the warranty doesn't expire until 2010! When she gave me the phone I asked him where he got this info that the warranty was expired. Before i could tear him a new one he immediately said he would put us on a "do not call" list before I even asked for that! :huh:

I also have a Wynns Extended Service Deluxe Plan on my Caddy which pretty much covers any and everything with a $100 deductible. You can have the repairs done at whatever shop you choose, and you dont have to pay for the repairs and wait for them to reimberse you. So far im happy. My warranty was worked into the purchase price of my car and im so happy I have it. If my headbolts ever pull, its just a $100 repair bill on my end. If my tranny goes, another $100. I have a brochure explaining everything it covers, and its offered in three different levels depending on how much you want to spend. I opted for the top of the line (deluxe) package thats covers just about everything on the car. Wise purchase in my book. These cars have expensive repair bills if you dont know how to do the work yourself.

After reading this I did a Google search on that company and it comes up on Ripoffreport.com among some others. It seems to me most of these outfits are scams with numerous consumer complaints.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/081/RipOff0081965.htm

http://www.complaints.com/directory/2006/march/15/25.htm

I'm going to contact the dealer to see if I can extend my now expired warranty otherwise I'll just set aside some money every month and just hope for the best.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Tony

Mine from the dealer, GM major guard or whatever its called, will be expiring soon. I added it to the original warranty when I bought the car in 2005. Its an '03 caddy DTS.

You can extend your Major Guard Which is the best!

Contact Alan Black of Black Cadillac in Pennsylvania 1-877-472-9550. He will work with you to get some refund on the time you may have left on your existing warranty and give you a good price without sales tax if you do not live in Pennsylvania. He is a good OLD FASHION dealer in western Pennsylvania.

Do not wait to long as their are some requirements that you must meet before you can extend it.

Have your VIN and exact mileage when you call him.

I extended my 1999 until last May when we sold it. The Power train was out of the car twice to fix oil leaks. Several timing case covers a bad motor mount Generator replaced once Steering rack replaced twice Both front struts two Water pumps and on and on.

More than paid for itself

Good Luck

Frank

Before I went to an internet dealer for the GM extension I'd check with the local dealer, I was going to have the repairs done with, for a price. There ARE "gray areas" of coverage that the dealership makes the call on.

If you've got a good relationship with your dealer you might be wise to talk to him first and even ask about the internet price you got to see if he'll match or come close. They ALL pay the same price, nobody get a special deal, and if there's an issue with your warranty in the future you're not happy with, you can always say you told me this would be covered ;)

Before I went to an internet dealer for the GM extension I'd check with the local dealer, I was going to have the repairs done with, for a price. There ARE "gray areas" of coverage that the dealership makes the call on.

If you've got a good relationship with your dealer you might be wise to talk to him first and even ask about the internet price you got to see if he'll match or come close. They ALL pay the same price, nobody get a special deal, and if there's an issue with your warranty in the future you're not happy with, you can always say you told me this would be covered ;)

That is EXACTLY what I went to my local dealer and bought it thru them.

They matched the lowest internet price I could find...and I figure that since I bought it from them...it MAY give me a little better talking point if anything ever needs to be done to it. :D

Posted Image

You can extend your Major Guard Which is the best!

Contact Alan Black of Black Cadillac in Pennsylvania 1-877-472-9550. He will work with you to get some refund on the time you may have left on your existing warranty and give you a good price without sales tax if you do not live in Pennsylvania. He is a good OLD FASHION dealer in western Pennsylvania.

Do not wait to long as their are some requirements that you must meet before you can extend it.

Have your VIN and exact mileage when you call him.

I extended my 1999 until last May when we sold it. The Power train was out of the car twice to fix oil leaks. Several timing case covers a bad motor mount Generator replaced once Steering rack replaced twice Both front struts two Water pumps and on and on.

More than paid for itself

Good Luck

Frank

My major Guard expired in November of last year. Can I still renew it? I wasn't paying attention and thought I still had it! :rolleyes:

I think you must have 3 months or 3K miles left on your existing warranty. By all means talk to your servicing dealer first. I extended the one on my 1999 several times from Alan Black and had my car serviced at 1 of 3 Cadillac dealers in my area even the Buick dealer was pleased to work on the car under warranty.

Most of the Cadillac dealers were more interested in selling a new car instead of going through the process of selling a extended warranty. In fact most dealers were not aware you could purchase a extension.

If I lived closer to Black Cadillac they would be my choice for service simply because of the way the owner treated me on the phone. The process is time consuming and must be done correctly to avoid any lapse in your coverage.

They increase prices around October on GMPP. Also the more mileage you have on the car the higher the price will be. The no sales tax is a advantage of purchasing from a out of state dealer. I have to add that several years ago I nearly got burnt for $3,000 from a company called Warranty Gold that went Bankrupt. Fortunately my credit card company jumped in to save the day!

In closing if you are interested in a new Cadillac NOW is the time to buy. We traded our 1999 SLS and got a great deal on a new 2008 STS. ONE HECK OF A CAR!

Also got some money back on the remainder of the GM Warranty.

Warranty's are a personal choice with lots of variable. It paid for itself several times over on our 1999. The removal of the powertrain twice to fix the oil leaks was about $6000. The water cooled Alternator was about $1500

Good Luck

Frank

I have no warranty, no issues, no regrets and more money in my pocket.

Tick.....tick.....tick.....tick...... ;)

Have never had one on any of the cars that I have owned back to the mid 70's... no regrets.

Warranties are NOT designed to save you money... they are designed to "spread a risk" and this comes at a cost. Warranty companies are in business to make money... They are not giving away maintenance for free.

To decide if one of these "financial instruments" is right for you, you have to ask yourself... Would I find a $4,000 headgasket job financially devastating? (i.e. it would trigger a personal bankruptcy)

If your answer is "It won't break me, but it will p!ss me off big time" Then you will be better off in the long run NOT buying one of these insurance polices.

If you are having trouble making ends meet and do not have a financial cushion in the bank.. Then yes these warranties are for you.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived