CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What would you do?

Sad to say I just found out my dog has cancer, came as a real kick in the clusters, had him since he was a pup ( 8 years old, still sleeps with me). He hasn't been eating well and I got worried, took him to the vet and they dropped this bomb (you have 4 to 8 weeks) What would you do?

A) nothing

B) drugs to make him feel better, while you still do nothing

C) Radiation (2to5k) may work, may not.

I'm getting a second opinion Wed. but it looks the same already

Joe

I have no idea why the blip comes up for "B"

The system sees "B") as a smilie.

This is hard to tell anyone, a friend of mind last year put her dog through brain surgery and he still was not right after the surgery and still had to be put to sleep. She spend a lot of money.

I think its important to make sure the dog is not uncomfortable and in pain. Its your decision if you want to give him pain meds and let him live the 6 weeks or not put him and you through the probably deteriorating health over the six weeks.

This is a decision only you can make. Radiation is going to cause other problems, knock his strength, loose hair, etc... This is a hard decision, I don't envy you.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I went through this with my cat, Friday. I kept him home, spoiled and pampered him and when the time came, I had him put to sleep and I still have his ashes. Keep in mind that cats are masters at controlling pain, they just don't show it the way other animals do so I would give the dog pain meds and let him enjoy the rest of his time with you. If he only has a few weeks to live, I question why the Veterinarian would even suggest any treatments at all.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

The Vet's just telling me my options (they don't do chemo, the place that does is better than most human hospitals, go figure) Parents are pushing and willing to pay for the chemo but as Mike said that just brings a whole new set of problems. The part that kills me is he gets up runs around tail wags the whole 9 yards but won't eat, if I get him to eat it just comes back 2 hours later. (yes, I'm cooking steak on the grill in 20 degree temps) I'm afraid the dog will starve in a house full of food.

I'll update Wed. Looking like a hellava week

Joe

Try this, cook white rice until it's nice and dry, not lumpy and sticky. Then find the best hamburger meat you can and cook that until it's completely cooked, make sure you drain ALL the grease and mix the meat with the rice and feed that to your dog and see what happens.

Get a second opinion regarding the cancer, I did that with Friday which is probably why I was so sure of my options. Find out exactly what type of cancer the dog has (you didn't mention what type it is) and then do you're research on the Internet to find out what results are expected from treatment and chemo. I did this with Friday and found that breast cancer in cats is very aggressive and even with chemo and surgery the prognosis is very poor so after finding this out, I decided to just give him a comfortable life until he let me know it was time. Cats go into hiding when it's their time to die, I believe dogs do the same thing if they're given the opportunity, just by leaving a closet door open so the dog can go inside.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

That is heartbreaking.... Very sorry to hear that.

My little buddy Fritz passed away Feb 4th, 2005.... He was just a tough as nails Harley-riding Toy Poodle, but he was my buddy... What a champ.

He had numerous problems. With drugs, and a few injections of normosl-r per week, he lasted 6 months, and seemed to have a fairly decent quality of life. He had kidney & heart problems that there were really no solutions for... and he was 16, so, his time was kind of running out anyways...

Not that you should do this, but I chose to just try to keep him comfortable... There was nothing economically feasible to do anyway, and even if money had no meaning, the prognosis was so bad anyway...

My Dad's neighbor's just went through this too, with the greatest little Maltese you ever saw... Besides his vet, this little guy had 2 veterinary cardiologists on the case... Money was really no object with these people, and he was only 8, which is kinda young for a Maltese to have so many problems... but it didn't do any good, sadly...

No one can help you make this decision, sadly. You'll have to do what your gut & heart are telling you...

I can tell you this. After awhile, all Fritz could really eat was a mixture of semi-melted ice cream, with some protien shake powder mixed in, and like a half a pepcid crushed up into the mix... He liked that, and could keep it down. Any sort of food gave him serious problems at both ends... which added to the dehydration, which was also a part of the problem....

If he can eat & drink, that's a huge plus. If he can't, the clock is really running....

Fritz was dehydrated. So, by doing a subcutaneous injection of the Normosol-R a couple times a week, got him hydrated again, which then, he'd get his appetite back a little, and would drink his own water... and seemed to be in good spirits.

I have questioned myself endlessly over the years, about whether I should have put him to sleep sooner... at my vets office, they give a strong painkiller shot, before they give the shot that stops the heart... and he seemed to perk up a lot. Which made me feel kinda bad... So if you're gonna keep him comfy, keep the pain meds flowing...

I'm not a vet, okay, I don't know squat. I just know what I did. He's your dog... you know him. You'll have to decide what his quality of life really is.

I think its important to make sure the dog is not uncomfortable and in pain. Its your decision if you want to give him pain meds and let him live the 6 weeks or not put him and you through the probably deteriorating health over the six weeks.

I've been through this with two brothers, a Mom, and a Dad. I beg you to treat your dog (and yourself) better. Because you can.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Vet came back Wed. with level 5 sublevel B Lymphatic cancer, the worst you can hear. Doc went over chemo and we (me, Mom and Dad) decided to try it. After the first treatment, with in 48hrs, his system was pretty much back to normal(this suprised the Vet) but still getting sick. Has been at the critical care place ($$$) since thursday and Lord willing if he can hold food down I'll get him back today, if he can't I think I'm at the end of the road.

Warren, I haven't been there yet and try not to think about it. I cross bridges one at a time.

On a lighter note, work got me a new toy. Look up Xerox IGen4, this sucker is huge!

I am glad to hear he responded to treatment Joe

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

On a lighter note, work got me a new toy. Look up Xerox IGen4, this sucker is huge!

That thing IS big.

110 pages a minute.

Duty cycle of FOUR MILLION pages a month and holds 80,000 sheets of paper at a time.

I would like to see one of them in action.

I worked at a printing company years and years ago. It was all offset then.

Posted Image

ZOMG! I can't wait for the desktop version. :D

I can't imagine where he came up with the idea, but one day my Dad fried chopped liver and put it Tory's bowl along with milk and Cheerios. No, I'm NOT kidding. From that day forward Tory would eat nothing else. His previously preferred canned dog food would for days go ignored in his bowl while the pooch subsisted on only water until we eventually relented and brought the liver back. Until his last day Tory consumed only liver, milk, Cheerios and water. Well, there WERE those table scraps.

That diet may have shortened his life, but it was his determined choice. Keep cookin' that steak and chop it fine.

When you cross this bridge you will eventually find healing; expect first to travel a distance though...

Regards and best wishes,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I still miss my shephard that passed on about 6 years ago.

He was a good friend and loyal companion.

We had him for 14 years till he got heartworms.

By the time we knew it and got him treatment...it was too late.

We tried everything the vet suggested..gut none of it saved him.

My heart goes out to you.

Stay strong.

Posted Image

Thanks for all the kind words and advice, he started eating a little but that's better than nothing. now it looks like Monday coming home, will keep you posted.

Joe

Joe,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog's cancer. I pray that the treatment works.

About 6 years ago, my wife & I lost Lady to pancreatic problems. My wife and I were devastated. A friend told us to do a search for "Rainbow Bridge". I did the search & that site really helped mitigate the loss.

Since then we got another dog, Heidi. We got her from a shelter. She had been dumped and was seen living in a culvert for a couple of months. Someone put food out for her and was finally able to get her into her car. At the vet, they quit counting ticks after taking 200 + off of her.

She has been the best dog. When I let her out, she never leaves or runs off. She will be sitting on the porch when she is finished.

I think that a dog that has been dumped realizes how lucky they are to find a good home.

I encourage anyone who wants a pet to check out the local shelters and breed specific rescue organizations. They have some wonderful and deserving animals that desperately need a home.

Good Luck with your friend's treatment.

Britt

Britt

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

r

Britt

VERY nice Britt, all mine have always been ASPCA pups. Eddies home and doing pretty well, smart enough to bypass large chucks of dog food because a pill may lurk there, he takes them out of the bowl and puts them on the side! <_< Chemo will run for 10 weeks starting tomorrow, prognosis is guarded but well see

Thanks All, Joe

• 9 months later...

Well, cancer came back with a vengence this past weekend, lost him Monday afternoon around 3:00 had him put to sleep and yes I held him when they did it. Thanksgiving was a bite but I was thankfull he went as far as he did.

Now I have to find out when to get the ashes, THAT will be another tear jerker :(

STS Joe

Best wishes for time healing your wounds.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I am sorry to hear that Joe, don't let this bad feeling ruin all of the good memories you have of him.., you gave him a home and love, Mike

I know the feeling all too well. I'm really sorry for your loss.

It's a little out of place, I suppose . . .

but here goes . . .

Timmy.jpg

Posted Image

Archived