CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

U.S. Air Crash

WarrenJ

When a ferry capsizes in Pakistan hundreds of people die. Yet when a plane crashes in the Hudson River there is not a single loss of life.

This is why prosperity matters: it can save your life! Remember how lucky you are to live in this country.

Not fer nuttin', but dis is just how we do stuff in New Yawk :rolleyes:

Sorry, I just had to say that. The level-headedness of the passengers, the Captain's calm and the extraordinary efforts of the first responders all were just incredible. Imagine: not one single family heard anything but good news after an airliner fell out of the sky. Wowsers!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Did you guys see the pilot's experience?, this is a pilot I want flying me around!

Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger, III is a captain for a major U.S. airline with over 40 years of flying experience. A former U.S. Air Force (USAF) fighter pilot, he has served as an instructor and Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) safety chairman, accident investigator and national technical committee member. He has participated in several USAF and National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) accident investigations. His ALPA safety work led to the development of a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Advisory Circular. Working with National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) scientists, he coauthored a paper on error inducing contexts in aviation. He was instrumental in the development and implementation of the Crew Resource Management (CRM) course used at his airline and has taught the course to hundreds of his colleagues. Sully is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy (B.S.), Purdue University (M.S.) and the University of Northern Colorado (M.A.). He was a speaker on two panels at the High Reliability Organizations (HRO) 2007 International Conference in Deauville, France May 29-31, 2007. He has just been named a Visiting Scholar at the University of California, Berkeley.

How cool is he?

Sullenberger's wife told CNN she spoke to her husband and is reeling from the incident.

"I was stunned. I hadn't been watching the news. I've heard Sully say to people, 'It's rare for an airline pilot to have an incident in their career,' " Lori Sullenberger said.

"When he called me he said, 'There's been an accident.' At first I thought it was something minor, but then he told me the circumstances and my body started shaking and I rushed to get our daughters out of school."

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Mike,

After watching the news reports I thought I'd like to buy this guy a drink. Now I understand things are vastly different. I think we should invite him to our July birthday dinner. My treat.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

His is a nearly unbelievable resume. Too bad He's too good to run for office.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Mike,

After watching the news reports I thought I'd like to buy this guy a drink. Now I understand things are vastly different. I think we should invite him to our July birthday dinner. My treat.

Regards,

Warren

Indeed, all the 155 passangers can celebrate the second birthday. They were incredibly lucky to have that pilot.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Mike,

Regards,

Warren

Indeed, all the 155 passangers can celebrate the second birthday. They were incredibly lucky to have that pilot.

Holy Expletive. YES!!

Posted Image

Buy that pilot a case of champagne!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

. . . every month for as long as he lives!

It will be interesting to see how the passengers honor him. I'm certain they will.

Those folk owe this man for their very lives.

Posted Image

. . . every month for as long as he lives!

It will be interesting to see how the passengers honor him. I'm certain they will.

Those folk owe this man for their very lives.

There are probably thousands of memorable shots available on the web. The passengers (and crew) plus

their extended families should/will all have a framed picture prominently displayed in their homes.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/Jim...t/USAircopy.jpg

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Sully represents the hard working people in the USA who when given the challenge pull thru with extraordinary results. I wonder if he was on the cutting block at usair? - so he started his own business to prepare for his next career. Imagine last week to the CIO of USAIR, this guy was just a number. It's time the CIO's of this country learn to appreciate the people they have working for them here, and quit jerking us around, and sending our jobs oversees.

Sully has been preparing for a new career for a long time and it has nothing to do with the current economy or US Air management. The FAA jerks his ATA ticket at age 60.

Personally, I was always comforted when there was a white-haired crew up in the pointy end of the aircraft.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Not to take anything away from the pilot, he did do an EXCELLENT job, but it does help to have a switch on the plane, that when thrown, closes all openings in the fuselage and converts your plane into a boat!

The Airbus 320 has this switch!

Fantastic forethought of a design which undoubtably cost millions to produce, and has now saved hundreds of lives.

The Airbus website is equally impressive. The plane is built on 4 assembly lines, China, Japan, America, and the Middle East. French design I believe.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Sully has been preparing for a new career for a long time and it has nothing to do with the current economy or US Air management. The FAA jerks his ATA ticket at age 60.

Personally, I was always comforted when there was a white-haired crew up in the pointy end of the aircraft.

That's been changed Jim. I believe they can now go to 65, but the other pilot must be under 55 if I recall correctly.

I've been in a few cockpits when I wanted to jokingly say "You kids know how to drive this thing?", but bit my tongue for fear that they may not have my sense of humor and that would make for a long uncomfortable flight.

I've known several pilots in my life - starting when I was a small child. They are a unique bunch. There's a certain intensity and self-assuredness about them that permeates everything they do - and I think most of them could have handled the situation with the seeming deftness that Sully did - not to take anything away from him because HE is the one that pulled it off this time.

I saw video of the plane coming down shot from a dock on the water - and the plane landed tail-down just as it should have, at the exact correct angle - it truly was a sight to behold!

Wind direction?

This guy was driving a glider. His options were limited.

Put it down on a city street or put it down in the water.

He made the right choice.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

That takes a lot of guts to make such a quick decision to abort landing in NJ, to land in the Hudson River. He had to take manual control over the jet and fly it into a water landing.. I still can't get over it. I saw the video too, it came in with the tail low and the tail hit first..

He knew what the wind was when he left, a VERY short distance and time ago, so he had a general idea, plus he could see the waves (which where minor) and probably steam from the building chimney's. Like Jim said, not that it made a lot of difference. He was just flying by the seat of his pants.

I don't expect he had a choice as to the wind direction. In fact, I don't expect he had ANY choices. Except down. Exercised wonderfully!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I don't expect he had a choice as to the wind direction. In fact, I don't expect he had ANY choices. Except down. Exercised wonderfully!
D

I don't believe that statement is correct. I heard a report where he circled around twice to give everyone a chance to get prepared for the ditching. remember he initially wanted to land at an airport in Tederboro NJ. I'm sure he knew that his best bet for a ditching he would have had to land against the wind in order to be able to keep the front of the plane up. I guess the details will come out soon enough.

I heard a report where he circled around twice to give everyone a chance to get prepared for the ditching.

I can guarantee you that did not happen. At 3000' he had precious little time to do any maneuvering at all. All you have time for is to pucker up and look for a flat spot to crash, and maybe say a prayer. He didn't go to TEB because he couldn't make it.

I heard a report where he circled around twice to give everyone a chance to get prepared for the ditching.

I can guarantee you that did not happen. At 3000' he had precious little time to do any maneuvering at all. All you have time for is to pucker up and look for a flat spot to crash, and maybe say a prayer. He didn't go to TEB because he couldn't make it.

Well, I suppose if someone has a photo of Sulley doing the "pucker up" thing, s/he might have a cover shot for just about any news magazine.

Where wind direction is concerned, I'd guess an experienced pilot simply "feels it." This, mind you, is from a thoroughly grounded person. :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I wonder how much simulator time he has logged to be able to manually fly this aircraft. It was my understanding that the pilot does very little in a routine flight other than take offs and landings, once its on auto pilot thats it. I may be wrong but, I don't think they manually fly these planes much, anyone know the scoop?

Archived