CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 STS

kurtflaitz

I found a 1999 Cadillac Seville STS for sale for $5,200. I talked the guy down to $4,000. It is owned by an older couple (in early 60's). The guys says it was his wifes car they do not use it anymore. They just took it off the road they have owned it since it had 36k on it. I asked the guy if he has ever had to replace the head gaskets. I told him that I have heard this is a common problem on these cars. He said no we have never had to replace the head gaskets and he said he had never heard of this problem in the car. He said call your local Cadillac dealer and ask them. The car has 107k on it and I want to buy it. He said they have never had any major problems with the car. I want to buy it, but I am looking for a little help here does that sound like a good deal? I, myself, see this as a good deal but I am looking for a little imput. It is a Pennsylvania car so the body is in great condition and the interior is mint. I have been looking and looking and looking for the past three months for a nice STS and I think this might be the one. The guy is very nice and honest. I said it was your wifes car so thats a good thing atleast I am not buying it from a younger kid who treated the car like crap and mashed on the gas all the time. He said well my wife has a lead foot but we have had no real problems with the car and they have also drove it to Arizona in the past. They are on vacation until next Monday I am just waiting to get the car. :D I cannot wait, there is a picture of the car with this post

post-9465-1224998213_thumb.jpg

post-9465-1224998222_thumb.jpg

post-9465-1224998231_thumb.jpg

EVERYTHING depends on the condition of the vehicle. KBB suggests the value of the car is what the seller was asking for it. With the markets in free fall however, I would expect to get a great deal when buying a car right now, especially a high mile used V8.

I would have a automobile inspection service come look at the car and give you a checklist of items that are good or need attention. If you don't have a service like that in your city, ask your local Cadillac dealer if they do pre-purchase inspections. Such an inspection should cost around $100.

If you are stretching to buy the STS for $4K and have NO money left for maintenance and repairs, I would be concerned. It is not a new car, at 10 years old (the 09 models are out now) and over 100K miles. It WILL have some maintenance that needs to be done and it will have repairs that will need to be done.

This model of STS is a great car. It was an evolutionary year after the redesign in 98. The only option added in 99 was massaging seats were available. In 2000 the Northstar was redesigned to allow regular unleaded, and the redline increased slightly, so some may prefer a 2000+ vehicle.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

If you can determine that the coolant was changed regularly, then it is fine. I would run the DTC codes to see what shows up, but for $4000 you are stealing it. If you are really concerned NAPA sells a combustion by-products tester for the coolant to see if there is a head gasket problem

If you decide not to buy it, I want it

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

All I can say is that I loved my '99 STS, and miss it to this day. As BBF says, if the coolant has been changed at least once since the car was new, you are halfway there. Run the codes to see if anything is amiss. If the coolant has been changed once, it is due again. Don't forget to add the sealant tabs! Don't worry about running premium in this car, it will do just fine with regular or mid-grade.

I never have been able to figure out why some steering wheels had the partial wood, and prob the wood shift knob. I'd say this is a late '98 or early '99 trait. Mine had leather on the entire steering wheel and on the shiter knob, it also had massaging seats, but not adaptive seats. Mine didn't have a sunroof either.....I never missed it.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Its seems like a pretty good buy to me. For $4000 your getting a car that will last you a long time. If the maintenance records are good and body and interior are in good shape then you should be good to go. I love my STS and the body style of these cars is truly a work of art! 300 horses mixed with leather and wood grain makes one hell of a pu$$y wagon lol!

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

No matter who ends up getting this car, and I'd say go for it, by all means add the front shock tower brace as soon as you can locate one! It made a world of difference in the ride quality, improved solid feel, and accuracy of the front suspension and steering on mine.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

No matter who ends up getting this car, and I'd say go for it, by all means add the front shock tower brace as soon as you can locate one! It made a world of difference in the ride quality, improved solid feel, and accuracy of the front suspension and steering on mine.

When did this brace become standard on the STS? Is this brace your refering to the bar that runs horizontal and connects to the top of each shock tower under the hood? I think my 94 Deville had this brace but im not sure if my 2000 STS has it. I will check later on when I get home from work, but if I dont have this brace what website can I use to order the part?

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

When did this brace become standard on the STS? Is this brace your refering to the bar that runs horizontal and connects to the top of each shock tower under the hood? I think my 94 Deville had this brace but im not sure if my 2000 STS has it. I will check later on when I get home from work, but if I dont have this brace what website can I use to order the part?

It was standard on the previous generation ('92-'97) Sevilles but was eliminated starting with the '98 model year.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...
I found a 1999 Cadillac Seville STS for sale for $5,200. I talked the guy down to $4,000. It is owned by an older couple (in early 60's). The guys says it was his wifes car they do not use it anymore. They just took it off the road they have owned it since it had 36k on it. I asked the guy if he has ever had to replace the head gaskets. I told him that I have heard this is a common problem on these cars. He said no we have never had to replace the head gaskets and he said he had never heard of this problem in the car. He said call your local Cadillac dealer and ask them. The car has 107k on it and I want to buy it. He said they have never had any major problems with the car. I want to buy it, but I am looking for a little help here does that sound like a good deal? I, myself, see this as a good deal but I am looking for a little imput. It is a Pennsylvania car so the body is in great condition and the interior is mint. I have been looking and looking and looking for the past three months for a nice STS and I think this might be the one. The guy is very nice and honest. I said it was your wifes car so thats a good thing atleast I am not buying it from a younger kid who treated the car like crap and mashed on the gas all the time. He said well my wife has a lead foot but we have had no real problems with the car and they have also drove it to Arizona in the past. They are on vacation until next Monday I am just waiting to get the car. :D I cannot wait, there is a picture of the car with this post

I cannot find the post where you were talking about how you found a navigation system for a 2001 STS in your local junkyard. I am looking at a 2001 STS right now black on black with 105K on it and someone punched the navigation screen and cracked it. I was just curious how much it was for the navigation system at your junkyard. The guy who is selling the car is a wholesaler and said the navi system still works the screen just needs to be replaced.

The guy who is selling the car is a wholesaler and said the navi system still works the screen just needs to be replaced.

Don't just take his word for it, that it works.

Put the NAV disk in it and CHECK IT.

Posted Image

It's been a long time since I posted here, but I did have a '99 STS. It was a great car to drive, but had problems with engine carbon and a water pump leak that disabled one of the computers. I was told that the replacement cost of the computer was about $800, not including the installation, so I traded the car. It also needed a timing chain adjuster replaced. The STS spent more time in the shop than any car I've ever owned, but was an absolute pleasure to drive. I found the solution to the carbon problem right here on caddyinfo, a little process called WOT (wide open throttle). A little WOT and the oil consumption went down, the gas mileage went up and the car ran much better.

I'd have the car checked out by a good mechanic before I'd buy it.

It also needed a timing chain adjuster replaced.

How was a bad chain tensioner diagnosed? Those parts are very durable and will last several vehicle lifetimes.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...
If you can determine that the coolant was changed regularly, then it is fine. I would run the DTC codes to see what shows up, but for $4000 you are stealing it. If you are really concerned NAPA sells a combustion by-products tester for the coolant to see if there is a head gasket problem

If you decide not to buy it, I want it

I found a different STS and didnt buy the one we have were talking about. You said you were interested. I can give you the guys number if you send me a message.

Archived