CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Post your avg MPG and offer advice to improve fuel economy. I have a 2000 STS and the dash is giving me a 19.8 avg MPG with city driving. I havent had it long enough to do a highway test, but this weekend I will be making a trip out of town and will post the results. I guess I cant complain when the car was advertised as having 17 city and 28 hwy with 300 horses racing down your neck!!

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

Please refer to the avg mpg poll here for data.

I think the best way to optimize mpg is to always drive your Cadillac, so that the fuel is not just wasted on a boring car.

On a serious note:

+ make sure your Cadillac is well maintained

+ fresh and clean air filter

+ tire pressure to the recommended level

+ conservative and steady driving habits

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 2 weeks later...
Driven at 52 mph it averages 48 mpg. Does require premium fuel though.

I am sorry, but I find that very hard to believe. Unless you were coasting down a hill.

Please explain farther or I am calling :bsmeter:

Posted Image

If you guys are going to do this, post the following,

Reset your DIC parameters, miles, MPG, AVG SPEED, and drive it for a week, then post

Average Miles Per Gallon

And

Average Speed

Average speed will allow us to have a reference to disclose HOW the car is being driven (to simply say CITY driving is too VAGUE), given that I live in New York City/Long Island my average speed might be 13 miles per hour, where some elses average might be 30 miles per hour, THAT will make a difference.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Driven at 52 mph it averages 48 mpg. Does require premium fuel though.

I am sorry, but I find that very hard to believe. Unless you were coasting down a hill.

Please explain farther or I am calling :bsmeter:

Sorry, I meant to say the car averages 52 mpg at 48 mph. There are no hills down here on the coastal plain. Probably you need to get a deville touring model with proper tires and lubricants.

Your car has INSTANT and AVERAGE MPG. Instant at times will be high, but to average 52 mpg. Texas Jim is driving a 2006 DTS I am sure he is using proper lubricants, tires and tire pressure. I owned a 92 Seville and I can honestly say, it never came close to 52 mpg flat highways or not. Do us a favor check your MPG the old fashioned way, fill it, record the mileage, drive those 48 miles, fill it, record the mileage, divide the gallons of fuel into the miles you drove.. Something is radically wrong, I have been around this board over 10 years, owned a 91 4.9 and never heard of MPG like that.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Your car has INSTANT and AVERAGE MPG. Instant at times will be high, but to average 52 mpg. Texas Jim is driving a 2006 DTS I am sure he is using proper lubricants, tires and tire pressure. I owned a 92 Seville and I can honestly say, it never came close to 52 mpg flat highways or not. Do us a favor check your MPG the old fashioned way, fill it, record the mileage, drive those 48 miles, fill it, record the mileage, divide the gallons of fuel into the miles you drove.. Something is radically wrong, I have been around this board over 10 years, owned a 91 4.9 and never heard of MPG like that.

I have never owned a Seville so - I have owned several other models. This Deville gets better mileage than a couple of diesels I owned. Also better than one I had with the Northstar engine. No Fleetwood I have ever owned did very well although one with a multi-port injected 350 Chevy engine did pretty well. Also, none would outrun this Deville. I keep it for these reasons although I have had to replace: transmission, distributor, water pump, hubs, heater blower, oil cooler adapter and lines, window motors, head liner, trunk unlock mechanism, power antenna, throttle and cruise control cables and bushings in addition to normal maintenance items such as brakes, wires, plugs, filters etc. It seems to always have some problem. The gentleman who purchased it new had to replace the engine at 91k miles. He was retired from the Lakewood plant so maybe he got an experimental Deville - who knows? He passed away. Anyhow, I get @ 34 mpg at 65 mph on the interstate and 29.5 around town. If I let the cruise control drive the thing on a smooth local road at 52 mph the car will run along at 48 mpg. If I never had to stop or start this would be its average.

If I let the cruise control drive the thing on a smooth local road at 52 mph the car will run along at 48 mpg. If I never had to stop or start this would be its average.

So.. assuming a 20 gal tank and if we had flat roads... and if you ran 52 mph and didn't stop... you could go from New York City to Jacksonville Florida on one tank of gas.

New York City to Jacksonville is 930 miles.

Your 48 mpg x 20 gallons is 960 miles.

Oh well... if you say so.

I know my 2006 DTS will never get that but I am glad that yours does.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I find 52MPG in a 300HP V8 very hard to believe lol! My old 4cyl ford contour only got around 32mpg and it was a 5spd. Hell they sell economy hybrid cars brand new that dont get that kind of mileage!

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

1994 Seville SLS

175,000 miles

Long Term Average MPG ----- 27.5

Highway (average 70 mph) ----30 - 31 MPG

Hint: For higher gas mileage drive on Freeways. 80+% of my driving is on Freeways. Driving in LA traffic for any length of time drops my average mileage to 22 - 24 mpg.

My test run is from Victorville, CA to Las Vegas, NV, 250 miles one way, two 6% grades to 4,600 feet. My best round trip mileage was 32.5 and an average 72 mph.

Many Trips to Phoenix, very flat run. Round trip 30 - 31 mpg at an average mph of 76 mph.

Final Note: The SLS has a lot of low speed torque, in addition it is geared very low. RPM at 70mph is just below 2000 rpm. I use 97 octane gas all the time. Tire pressure 37psi

Vince P

• 2 weeks later...

99 STS. 21 avg MPH; 18 avg MPG. Exclusive town driving in VERY hilly area. About 27 MPG avg on highways, mostly quite hilly and curvy. About 31 MPG on interstate in flatlands.

As good or better mileage (especially in town) than other vehicles I drive--ALL far less powerful, most lighter and all but one (F-150) with 6 cylinders. I do drive quite gently most times, but can't resist punching the STS on occasion and have made some very fast trips on curvy, rural highways.

• 3 weeks later...

1992 Deville ( 4.9).. avg 16.0 in the city... 22 on hwy.. avg 17.0 lately.. BUT... since the recent hurricane, we have been getting REAL gasoline.. no alcohol or botique blends..

avg mileage jumped .5 mpg and hwy cruise went up 3 mpg. !

Hmm... EPA wants us to get better mileage and wants Detroit to make cars that get better mileage? TAKE OUT THE GARBAGE IN THE GAS... :wipetears but I'm old and grumpy.... :angry2:

• 5 months later...

2000 cadillac deville 82k miles.

i get around 14 mpg around the city at 40 mph ( i know it sucks but its worth it)

and around 22 mpg on the highway averaging 80 mph

These are combined averages over a few years of looking. I have got 29MPG with the Eldo best case, optomizing driving conditions. How do I get one of those 50+ MPG caddy's LOL!! And yes, I have too many cars.

99 eldo 24.5 (Nicest to drive)

99 Concorse 21.9 (HO motor, lower gears)

01 Deville 23.2

03 Seville 23.4

94 Fleetwood 21

Filled up my 1999 Deville. Rode to work and back. 120 miles cruise on hwy and 12 miles in city. Averaged 29.2 mpg. City and Hwy combined 50/50 was 24.2

1999 STS

169k miles (Original plugs/wires/coils)

19.8 average MPG per tank

24.4 average MPH (32 mi daily commute combined city/highway)

30-31 mpg instant with cruise set at 44

24-32 mpg instant with cruise set at 67 depending on the head or tailwinds (Kansas - People of the Southwind - it makes a difference!!)

Yes, it's running a little rough, I'll change the plugs this summer...

I recommend:

Using cruise whenever possible, any distance over 1 mile between stops

Long gradual slowdown and braking instead of short, quick braking

Keep the tires aired as specified

Synthetic oil changes on schedule

Use WOT occasionally to keep the plugs clean (we have to have some fun!)

Limit "warmup" and "cooldown" (again, this is Kansas, Black on Black gets hot in 100+deg sun) idle time as much as your spouse will allow... I've watched a few minutes of 0 mpg knock down the average a full MPG.

I averaged 26.4 mpg with my 2002 STS last year on a vacation trip (1240 miles mostly country roads). I just followed the traffic speed (mostly around 60 mph) and used the cruise control.

Ordinary driving (to work 16 miles away from home) and a set cruise speed at about 74 mph I get about 18 to 19 mpg. That usually includes a 125 mph WOT for a mile or so/week ;)

• 1 month later...

my 99 sts usually shows avg around 21 mpg at avg 50 mph. I ALWAYS drive 5 mph over posted speed limit, unless interstate then its 10 over. I could drive my 2000 ls1 trans am and get 27 on the highway but since I have owned this sts about a year the ta just rests at home!!! the ta is faster and gets better mpg but I LOVE MY STS

• 3 weeks later...

94 DeVille 4.9L, 134K miles, 35.4 Av MPH, 26.3 mpg (DIC), 25.3 (fuel pump)

Mostly highway

Best mileage around 55 or 70, slightly less in the 60's

Trips as good as 29+

Found out about the 55 because the rear ball joints are going and I like to be able to stay in MY lane.

New ball joints are on the way. Another fun weekend coming up. :D

If I could afford the CTS-V, I'm guessing I'd get about 2mpg, and 500mpt (miles per tire) B)

• 1 month later...

95 Cadillac DeVille

4.9L V8 OHV

87,000 miles

25.7 Avg MPH

19.0 Avg MPG out of 77.8 Gals Used

I drive 65-90 MPH on the highway in Pittsburgh, PA. I live on a hill and most of our towns are all hills so that definately affects MPG. My last decent car was a 96 GMC Jimmy and it averaged 15 MPG with a 4.3 Vortec. But I can't help but to open the Caddy up. I love the sound of a V8. I really want to put a snorty intake and a good sounding but quiet muffler on her. Any suggestions?

Archived