CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

head gasket problem

keeldoug

Hello

In April 2004 we leased a 2004 Deville for 4 years...April 20, 2008 we bought the car for $20,000. Prior to buying had the dealer service and trouble shoot for any porblems (OK)...May 20 wife had problems starting, took to dealer and after $54 said "nothing wrong"....JUne 5 see blue smoke and take to dealer...says bad head gasket....6/10 says new gasket does not fit, need to maching engine block....

My Qestion: What kind of life is left in this rebuild engine? we are Senior Citizens and expected to have this Caddy out live us...We would appreciate any help this forum can give us. Including help from Caddy Corporate.

Dealer's blowin' smoke up your a...

Blue smoke?

Could be worn valve guides, valve stem seals, piston rings.

Have a reputable independent perform a leak down test on your motor and that will tell you where

all of your problems are.

What kind of mileage on the car and how often did you change the oil and oil filter?

GM offers at least a 5 year 60,000 warranty on the engine. Cannot really find what exactly it was in 2004.

2006 GM upped that to 5 year 100,000 mile warranty on the engine.

Depending on mileage, good chance the engine is under GM warranty.

Hello

In April 2004 we leased a 2004 Deville for 4 years...April 20, 2008 we bought the car for $20,000. Prior to buying had the dealer service and trouble shoot for any porblems (OK)...May 20 wife had problems starting, took to dealer and after $54 said "nothing wrong"....JUne 5 see blue smoke and take to dealer...says bad head gasket....6/10 says new gasket does not fit, need to maching engine block....

My Qestion: What kind of life is left in this rebuild engine? we are Senior Citizens and expected to have this Caddy out live us...We would appreciate any help this forum can give us. Including help from Caddy Corporate.

If I am reading this correctly,you originally leased this car new in 2004, and when the lease ran out you bought the car outright.

Then, one month after buying the car, it developed a head gasket problem.

Now, the dealers shop has a head off and is telling you that the gasket doesn't fit? And as a result, the block needs to be machined?

In my opinion, at best, the shop is doing a very poor job of communicating just what is wrong. From what you have said, the block probably needs to be "timeserted" which is the repair of weak threads that the cylinder head bolts screw into.

If they are telling you that you are responsible for this repair, then I would get a factory representative involved TOMORROW.

If the dealer balks at getting the factory rep, you need to insist on getting the rep involved.

To answer your question, engine life after repair of the engine block threads by "timeserting", is excellent.

All else being equal, a properly repaired engine should last the life of the car.

Depending on the mileage on the car now, you may be able to get Cadillac to pay for most, if not all of the repair.

Please report back with the present mileage on the vehicle.

Is the dealership saying that the warranty has expired?

There are a lot of good people on this forum that have the knowledge to assist you in this matter.

Take Care,

Britt

Britt

I agree. Very good chance this would be under GM powertrain warranty. Not to be confused with the standard GM 3/36. The Cadillac warranty is better. Just cannot seem to find the details tonight. Powertrain has at least a 5y/60k warranty.

They should replace rather then try to repair the engine.

Contact the local GM zone rep.

My 2004 DTS has a four year/50,000 mile full coverage warranty.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Hello

Hard to imagine that the headgaskets have failed so early. Blue smoke in not indicative of a head gasket failure - it could be oil or a very rich condition. I hate to say this but the dealer may have sold you a repair that you did not need.

I think what the dealer means by machining the engine block is that they need to install the Timeserts. Ask them if they use the drill fixture - if they free-handed the machining process, demand a new engine. Please keep us informed on the results. If the dealer properly repairs the engine, the engine will last several lifetimes - it will be stronger then new.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...
Let us know the outcome of this.

Please post how many miles are on this car, give is the details... something is wrong with this

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived