CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 deville should i get one????

hello right now i have a 99 deville ive had a lot of problems with it but lately its been an ok car, i dont really like my northstar engine cause in the winter it does the nasty noise when its cold... it also leaks and im alwas afraid of the head gasket premiue gas ,,, now for 2000 are there big changes engine wise??? are they very common to have head gasket leaks and kocking noise like the old nothstar??? i also want a chrysler 300 m special aditoin 2003 my friend had an lsh from chrysler and it rann really good what yall think..

hello right now i have a 99 deville ive had a lot of problems with it but lately its been an ok car, i dont really like my northstar engine cause in the winter it does the nasty noise when its cold... it also leaks and im alwas afraid of the head gasket premiue gas ,,, now for 2000 are there big changes engine wise??? are they very common to have head gasket leaks and kocking noise like the old nothstar??? i also want a chrysler 300 m special aditoin 2003 my friend had an lsh from chrysler and it rann really good what yall think..

What kind of oil are you using in the winter, 10W30? I will admit that my engine is noisier in the winter time also till it warms up. It certainly prefers warm weather thats for sure. This engine sounds like I feel in the winter :blink:

We have seen a few 2000s have head gasket problems lately. The engine has a redesigned head bolt, I will let others comment on the exact changes to the bolt, I am not sure if its pitch or size or both. The 2000 has roller cams whereas your 99 and my 96 has rubbing element lifters. That is a lot of the noise we hear in the winter and where WEAR takes place. I think it can be made worse if you don't change the oil on schedule during the winter. A few years back, my son was in the hospital for 30 days, and the temps ranged from 0 to 10 for a couple of weeks when I went to see him at night, and my oil was over due (OLM at 0%) because it was so so cold to change. I think my engine took a beating because of that bone headed move.

Anyway, I think the 2000 is a better engine, I think they MIGHT have gone to COP in 2000 also (coil on plug). I really hope to buy a 2000 STS in green or silver myself. I would check the coolant with a combustion by products tester before I bought it, run the codes and look for leaks from the bottom before I bought it, before I took it on a spirited ride. Good Luck with your search

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Coolant changes are very important to any engine that has aluminum heads, block, intake manifold, water pump, thermostat housing, or radiator, and these days that is all of them. My wife's Pontiac with the V6 HO went too long without a coolant change and it cost us the intake manifold gaskets. The Pontiac dealer didn't have a clue where the coolant was going, and it was getting worse. The mechanic told me afterward that sooner or later it would go down the valley between the cylinders and get in the engine oil and bring down the motor.

Look on the Timesert web site. Their kits are OEM repair for a wide variety of manufacturers and engines, and GM, Ford, Honda and Volkswagen (and thus Porsche) sell their kits as OEM. Their biggest item nowadays is Ford spark plug repair kits. Apparently the masses have yet to understand the advisability of finding and following the torquing specifications when dealing with aluminum threads.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I had an intrepid with the 3.5 and i liked it. i test drove a 2001 3.5 R/T and i thought it was even better. I don't know what the price difference is between a 300M and a deville? but they certainly will ride different. depends what you would like to drive.

The Chrysler 300 M will have a much FIRMER ride and more ROAD NOISE then the DeVille.

If you like a smooth and quite ride... with plenty of power....get the DeVille.

If you want a harsher ride, more road noise and less performance, but with better handling... get the 300M.

Just my opinion.

Posted Image

We have seen a few 2000s have head gasket problems lately. The engine has a redesigned head bolt, I will let others comment on the exact changes to the bolt, I am not sure if its pitch or size or both.

I recall the Guru saying the bolts were significantly changed in 2004. Most likely consequent changes have been made in 2000 ans 2004. We will see in a few years if it have made difference.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived