CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

$1200 to replace sensor??

bgain99

The SES light came on a few weeks ago on 02 deville w/ 94000 mi ; the Cadillac garage told us a sensor in the transmission was stuck in the off position, and to replace it, the transmission would have to be pulled and opened to get to the the sensor, to the tune of $1200 (as near I can remember, it was kinda traumatizing).

We opted for flushing the system as 'sometimes it will dissolve sludge and it will work'--$194 which did not work, light came back on the 3rd time it was started after the flush. The service record states 'found code P0741 and P1860 TCC circuit. Performed trans service and manually used TCC solenoid'.

So, is this a big deal? Everything seems to be working fine except for the ses light.

Could this be from water damage? So far we have replaced the crank sensors after car stalled at 70 mph (thanks guys for helping on that on, garage was stumped); had to replace wheel speed sensor, ABS wiring harness and hub bearing; before that, bad connection at wheel speed sensor; check engine light was on and had open wire at purge solenoid; had AC hose replaced and system recharged;replaced evaporator cannister purge solenoid; had the PCM recall attended to; have had 3 sets of rotors (last set was defective after 9000 miles) and 4 alignments since purchased at 22000 mi. Also had some other work done after wife hit a road alligator...no further comments on that one.

It was a rental car in FL prior to purchase, there was flooding there during that time, but CARFAX was clean. Car was been driven intermittently, all freeway, until 82000 mi, that is when the 94 Concours developed problems with the ABS modulator and was sidelined as the work car..:(

I would leave it alone. If everything is working and there's no pressing reason to get it fixed, let it go and maybe it will clear up. The only thing I would do is make sure all wires are properly connected and the ground is good.

I think he paid for a trans flush. $$$ pissed away.

Anyway...here is the info on the sensor. Yes, $1200 is about right. $35 sensor. Trans has to drop to gain access. That being said...if the engine/trans/craddle is dropped it can be done in about 13 hours.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...67&hl=po741

$1200 is dealer rates.. Most independant tranny shops will under cut that by almost 1/2... Of course the trick there is finding one you trust

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I was quoted $1600 for the ISS speed sensor (in side pan), with side and bottom filters and cover seals. That would have ballooned once they removed the tranny mount and saw it was separated and I would have been hung, at their parts cost for the mount. GM should find a way to permit easy access to the side pan without a major expense, the engine should be easily tiltable from the bottom, not sure if that can happen, but it would be nice.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Two cents beats $1200 all to heck.

Only thing I notice is there may be a little more noise than usual..I have turned the radio up so it is hard to judge..

Thanks for all the help.

Where is "a little more noise than ususal" coming from? Engine? Trandmission?

Is it turning slightly more RPM than it did before the problem?

Posted Image

• 10 months later...

Archived