CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Starter of a 93 Eldo

cyrez00

Hi guys,

A little while ago i had a post on starting probs with my Caddy.

Unfortunately this post has been lost in the hack the board expirienced.

Anyway, had the same issue again (starter not turning) and decided to take it apart.

After quite a challenge to even get to it (now i know how to do it, it's peanuts) i managed to take it out and take it apart.

Please see the picture attached and let me know if you think this one will ever start to work again ;)

Ah well... cars.......

Marc.

P5272000.preview.jpg

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

There would be some scrap copper value there.

You could pour liquid acrylic over it and have a memorable door stop.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Looks dead to me from all of the fragments. Time for a new one. :(

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

And the surprising part is that apart from the occasional hickup it started absolutely fine until yesterday.

Now the challenge of finding another one in an holiday weekend (it's one over here)

After quite a challenge to even get to it (now i know how to do it, it's peanuts) i managed to take it out and take it apart.

"Peanuts" indeed! How did you acquire the hand grenade you used?? Are they legal over there?

Regards,

Warren ;)

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

"Peanuts" indeed! How did you acquire the hand grenade you used?? Are they legal over there?

Regards,

Warren ;)

wow! put me down for a couple dozen of those! looks like the makings for a couple pair or maracas. maybe i could use one of those to open a jammed door i have....................................................red

Regards,

Warren ;)

Nah, i just gave it to my 5 year old son........

If you are unable to find one send me a PM and maybe I can send you one, either a good rebuilt or a new one, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Rock Auto shows starters for the 1993 Eldorado with the 4.9 liter engine from $44 to $179, depending on whether it is remanufactured or new. Delco new price is $102.79. There is a core charge for remanufactured starters. DeSimone Cadillac has supports this board (see their ad on the Home Page and click it) and they will ship internationally. I've dealt with their parts people for years and find them top-notch. Talk to Paul or email him to arrange shipping.

http://desimonecadillac.com/

(856) 778-1000, ask for Parts

palday#desimonecadillac.com (replace the "#" with an at symbol)

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hi guys,

A little while ago i had a post on starting probs with my Caddy.

Unfortunately this post has been lost in the hack the board expirienced.

Anyway, had the same issue again (starter not turning) and decided to take it apart.

Please see the picture attached and let me know if you think this one will ever start to work again ;)

Ah well... cars.......

Marc.

Hi

If you go for a used one, there should be a lot of them out there. My 91 Deville and my 88 Point. . 6000 were the same. I put new brushes on both of them. However, there was no need for it, they are built like a brick-house.

Thanks for your support guys, really appreciated!

Indeed trying to find a new/used one but the problem is that it will take almost a week for the part to even arrive on this side of the atlantic.

So... trying my luck first around here in the Netherlands tomorrow (was a public holiday here today) and i might get lucky..... if not, i will go to the alternatives, always nice to have them!

let you know.

Marc.

p.s. it's the Northstar engine, that makes it all a little more difficult around here.

Thanks for your support guys, really appreciated!

Indeed trying to find a new/used one but the problem is that it will take almost a week for the part to even arrive on this side of the atlantic.

So... trying my luck first around here in the Netherlands tomorrow (was a public holiday here today) and i might get lucky..... if not, i will go to the alternatives, always nice to have them!

let you know.

Marc.

p.s. it's the Northstar engine, that makes it all a little more difficult around here.

I just returned an AC DELCO starter to Advance... Could ship it to you instead. Ah, it's Northstar. Got confused, sorry. There were 93 Eldo's with 4.9?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Yes apparently there were an odd few. at least that's how i understand it.

In '93, the base or "regular' Eldorado had the 4.9 engine. The Eldorado Touring Coupe which was the 2-door version of the Seville STS, had the Northstar engine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Found a new starter for 120 euro's.

Installed and driving again!!

am a happy boy again.

Thanks for all the support guys!

Nah, i just gave it to my 5 year old son........

Thank heavens your 5 year old is an ocean away from the rest of us!

Happy motoring Cyr.

Regards,

Warren :P

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Just realised i actually never told how this happened in the end.

Talking to the shop the guy looked at it and said the starter wheel did not return to it's 'park' position and kept turning together with the engine.

Thinking afterwards... i've heard a singing noise with a occasional rattle when i was driving. :unsure: because i just came out of the carwash i tought it was just some moisture here and there and i gave it a WOT.. :o shortly after that the sound was gone. (can remember i thought 'problem solved....') :rolleyes:

I guess starters are not designed to go around 5/6000 rpm's for a while...... :lol:

Marc.

p.s. yes i decided to play with the emoticons this time..

Archived