CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

North Star oil leaks

Mine is as dry as the Mohave.................... so far.

Same here. Not a drop of anything underneath my car. My last northstar in my 95 was also clean at 136,000 miles.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

When I exchanged my engine for a remanufactured one at 116,500 miles there were do drips, but the oil pan was wet. My mechanic said that the O-ring was seeping but it wasn't anything to be concerned about. The dealer never said anything about it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

My 96 leaks badly, it slowed down when I replaced my oil pressure switch. I have to get under and have a look maybe I have a loose oil cooler line or something

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

My '97 has "moderate seepage". That is, a few drips overnight each time its driven. My '01 is completely dry. No moisture even on the pan. I peeked under a '97 STS on a car lot the other day and that sucker was really dry...to the point of having surface rust on some of the bolts under there. I guess a LIGHT film of oil can't hurt. ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

When I bought my 94 Concours it leaked and after almost 100,000 miles later it still leaks. I think mine is leaking around the oil pan. Other than the occasional stink from oil burning off the exhaust pipe and the smoke that comes with the oil burning, I have learned to live with it. It does keep the bottom of the car from rusting though. I may have to fix it some day when it leaks more. Just keep some oil in the trunk and add 1 to 1-1/2 quarts when the low oil message comes on.

Mine is like a few of the post above, no drips, but I have a "moist" bottom.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

My 94 Eldo does.. bad enough that I fear coming to a stop or getting into traffic after driving above 45 mph. Drips onto the crossover and causes serious smoke that leaks inside the car as well.. also quite embarassing. I refuse to pull the engine until something else breaks or I put together around $700 extra in parts that I want to replace while the things out... and yes every o-ring has been replace and new oil filter adapter, oil sensor, switch etc has been replaced and it still leaks, alot.

My 94 Eldo does.. bad enough that I fear coming to a stop or getting into traffic after driving above 45 mph. Drips onto the crossover and causes serious smoke that leaks inside the car as well.. also quite embarassing. I refuse to pull the engine until something else breaks or I put together around $700 extra in parts that I want to replace while the things out... and yes every o-ring has been replace and new oil filter adapter, oil sensor, switch etc has been replaced and it still leaks, alot.

You have the same problem I do. On the left side the oil pan leaks onto the exhaust. Many times I'll be sitting at a light with smoke billowing. The other day I poured in 4 bottles of Bar's Leaks oil stop leak to see if it would help—It did. Now it leaks less but it won't completely seal unless the gasket is replaced. I'm looking to replace the transaxle and when I do the pan gasket will be replaced.

I have a "moist" bottom.

:lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

You have the same problem I do. On the left side the oil pan leaks onto the exhaust. Many times I'll be sitting at a light with smoke billowing. The other day I poured in 4 bottles of Bar's Leaks oil stop leak to see if it would help—It did. Now it leaks less but it won't completely seal unless the gasket is replaced. I'm looking to replace the transaxle and when I do the pan gasket will be replaced.

Hey at least you got 220K out of yours, mines been doing it since 65K. When you say the left side. do you mean when your looking at the car head on or better yet the passenger side? That's where mine seems to come down the most. I've also been wondering about that stop leak stuff, was it enough to calm the smoke down?

Hey at least you got 220K out of yours, mines been doing it since 65K. When you say the left side. do you mean when your looking at the car head on or better yet the passenger side? That's where mine seems to come down the most. I've also been wondering about that stop leak stuff, was it enough to calm the smoke down?

Actually, it seems the whole pan leaks to some degree. But the main leak is on the left side (driver’s side). The Bar’s Leaks ‘Engine Oil Stop Leak’ seems to have worked a bit to calm the leak down—but it still leaks. Also, last year I loosened the pan bolts (except for 3 on the left side which I couldn’t get at) and tried to seal it with a small amount of high temp gasket sealer that is resistant to oil. It worked for the most part except on the driver’s side where I couldn’t lower the pan. So between the gasket sealer and Bar's Leaks it's better but still the pan gasket needs to be replaced.

My 99 is as dry as a bone. Only 80,000 on it right now though. Something could develop I suppose.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

170,000 miles and a drop or two when parked overnight. when used every day for the week, no drops on the third day. top up with about half quart in between oil changes, sometimes, no top up necessary. my oil pan cover is constantly wet but the one or two oil drops on the floor give me no reason to worry as yet. if the car is parked for over a week, oil will drop the first night but no more drips until the next time you drive it.

Archived