CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 SEDAN DEVILL

DEBRI

THE OTHER DAY I WAS DRIVING DOWN HILL WHEN MY CAR SHUT DOWN NO WARNING I HAD IT TOW TO A SHOP THE NEXT DAY WHEN I CALLED THEY TOLD ME THE ENGINE WAS GONE COULDNT UNDERSTAND JUST REPLACE THE TRANS AND HAD ALL THE FLUIDS CHANGED INCLUDING THE OIL BUT I MUST NOTE WHEN I GOT THE CAR OUT THE SHOP THE BATTERY WAS DEAD SO THE SHOP REPLACED IT BUT WHEN I WENT BACK TO GET THE CAR FROM THE SHOP THAT TOLD ME THE ENGINE WAS GONE THE BATTERY WAS DEAD IM WONDERING AM I HAVING A ELECTRICAL PROBLEM OR MOTOR PROBLEM I JUST SPENT 4000 REPLACING THE TRANS SO IM NOT TO HAPPY TO SPEND MORE ALSO NOTE THE REASON THE SHOP SAYED THE ENGINE WAS BAD CAUSE IT WOULDNT TURN OVER SO IM WONDERING IF THE BATTERY HAD A DEAD CELL CAUSE THE ALTERNATOR WAS GONE AND ALL THE TIME THE CAR WAS RUNNING OFF THE BATTERY THAT WHY THE CAR SHUT DOWN BUT THE LIGHTS CAME ON THATS WHY I DIDNT THINK ABOUT THAT BUT I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP A POOR BLACK MALE LOL

How reputable is this mechanic? What specifically did they say was wrong? Were any fluids leaking out when the engine stalled and when it was towed? Was the check engine light on?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I seriously doubt that the "engine is gone". My instinct is to say that the shop is trying to take advantage of "a poor black male". I would ask them EXACTLY what is wrong and WHY they say this engine is "gone". When the engine "just shuts down" it lost fuel or ignition. Hardly a reason to condem it unless it had a catostrophic head gasket failure which injested enough coolant to hydrolock it, an almost impossible scenario. Let us know what they say, but do not give them the go ahead to R & R the engine. I smell a rat.

P.S.

Your caps lock button is stuck on and your period button is "gone".

THE OTHER DAY I WAS DRIVING DOWN HILL WHEN MY CAR SHUT DOWN NO WARNING I HAD IT TOW TO A SHOP THE NEXT DAY WHEN I CALLED THEY TOLD ME THE ENGINE WAS GONE COULDNT UNDERSTAND JUST REPLACE THE TRANS AND HAD ALL THE FLUIDS CHANGED INCLUDING THE OIL BUT I MUST NOTE WHEN I GOT THE CAR OUT THE SHOP THE BATTERY WAS DEAD SO THE SHOP REPLACED IT BUT WHEN I WENT BACK TO GET THE CAR FROM THE SHOP THAT TOLD ME THE ENGINE WAS GONE THE BATTERY WAS DEAD IM WONDERING AM I HAVING A ELECTRICAL PROBLEM OR MOTOR PROBLEM I JUST SPENT 4000 REPLACING THE TRANS SO IM NOT TO HAPPY TO SPEND MORE ALSO NOTE THE REASON THE SHOP SAYED THE ENGINE WAS BAD CAUSE IT WOULDNT TURN OVER SO IM WONDERING IF THE BATTERY HAD A DEAD CELL CAUSE THE ALTERNATOR WAS GONE AND ALL THE TIME THE CAR WAS RUNNING OFF THE BATTERY THAT WHY THE CAR SHUT DOWN BUT THE LIGHTS CAME ON THATS WHY I DIDNT THINK ABOUT THAT BUT I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP A POOR BLACK MALE LOL

THEY RESPONDED THAT THE MOTOR HAD 3 CHAINS 2 ONTHE SIDES AND 1 IN THE MIDDLE AND WHAT THEY SEEN SO FAR WAS THAT BOTH CHAINS ON THE SIDE WAS STILL INTACT SO IT MUST BE THE MIDDLE BUT THEY WANT TO CHARGE ME 75 DOLLARS A HOUR WITH A MIN OF 8 HOURS TO BREAK THE ENGINE DOWN BUT IT WAS NO FLUID BUT THE ENGINE CHECK LIGHT WAS ON BUT NO ANTIFREEZE IN THE OIL NO SMOKE AND NO KNOCKING I KNOW IT NEEDED A TUNE UP I WONDERED DID THAT PLAY A PART

How did they know the cam chains were OK without taking off the timing cover??? Sounds like they do not know what they're doing and you should get your car out of there before they rip you off... The timing chains in a Northstar are good for many hundereds of thousands of miles and rarely show any signs of wear.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Can the engine be turned physically or is it bound? While we have another member had a chain problem recently, problems with chains is rare. If the engine can be turned by HAND PHYSICALLY, the starter should turn it also. When you say it would NOT turn over do you mean it would NOT start or would NOT turn?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Can the engine be turned physically or is it bound? While we has another member have a chain problem recently, problems with chains is rare. If the engine can be turned by HAND PHYSICALLY, the starter should turn it also. When you say it would NOT turn over do you mean it would NOT start or would NOT turn?it clicked as if it wanted to start but wouldnt turn over like click click no start

Unless this fellow can convince you he is a knowledgable Northstar technician, I'd like to see your car somewhere else. And soon.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

DEBRI -- get thee to another mechanic ASAP and have them tow your car out of there. I've seen that kind of behavior from time to time; we all have. There is no "chain in the middle" and the cam chains on the front of the engine never give trouble.

I have a lot of things that I do to pick mechanics. If I'm new in the area, I look at chains like Goodyear Service or Sears Auto Center. That's no guarantee, but at least you have somebody to complain to, and these chains try to keep their operations honest and good. You can drive around these and look at the customer cars in their lot. If you see some that seem to have been there for several days or longer, go elsewhere. If you see some that look like your car, and they seem nice and well taken care of, go inside.

When you talk to the manager, look in the office for mechanic certifications on the walls. If all of them are 10+ years old, or if the guy whose name is on them isn't there, politely leave. If the guy won't look you in the eye when he talks to you, leave. If he makes promises sight unseen, leave. If everything seems OK, ask who will work on your car, and chat with him for a few seconds -- don't take a lot of his time. If he seems half-bright and upbeat about life in general, then you may have a place to take your car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Some very good points Jim.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived