CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How often do you replace your battery?

WarrenJ

I've been astonished to read recently about the number of folk that have posted about battery related problems. Often, they say their battery is 4, 5, or even 6 years old!

AND . . . they have problems. Doh!

What is wrong with these people !?!

I've NEVER owned a battery that was more than three years out of the box.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

First one was original DELCO (lasted nine years). The current battery (DieHard Gold) is six and a half years old and still going strong (just load tested).

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Maybe you are unlucky, in the caddy it lasted 6 years, on my 89 buick it lasted forever. Most batteries are warranted for 60 months(5 yrs).

Its was kinda funny with my Caddy because the started sounded like butt for the last month with that battery, now it sounds brand new, I can feel the car shaking a little.

How often do you replace your battery?

When they go bad, or 5 -6 years, whichever comes first.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I replace them when they go bad. Time varies, but almost never before 3 years.

I don't wait for it to go bad. Maybe that's why I've NEVER been stranded by a dead battery.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I don't wait for it to go bad. Maybe that's why I've never been stranded by a dead battery.

Regards,

Warren

You're lucky you've never been stranded by a defective NEW ONE :lol::lol::lol:

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

I don't wait for it to go bad. Maybe that's why I've NEVER been stranded by a dead battery.

Regards,

Warren

and why you have less money in your pocket. batteries are kind of expensive, especially if you are in college.

My 1993 Deville is on its third battery.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Regards,

Warren

and why you have less money in your pocket. batteries are kind of expensive, especially if you are in college.

I quit school when I was 12.. but I had a battery

I used it to run some of my radio equipment

I never could get a clean enough juice from a supply so I would charge the battery

I think I had a deep cycle or some type because it drained and recharged many times fine

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

I've NEVER owned a battery that was more than three years out of the box.

Agreed. I did not have luck with mine either. The last one lasted 2 years only.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Maybe you are unlucky . . .

No, I am NOT unlucky.

I simply choose not to be stranded if I can do something about it in advance.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Maybe you are unlucky . . .

No, I am NOT unlucky.

I simply choose not to be stranded if I can do something about it in advance.

Regards,

Warren

You already did something about it in advance.

You bought a Cadillac.

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

I can assure you, there is quite enough money in my varied pockets. Batteries are not an inconsequential expense, but I didn't own a Caddy during my college years. Bless you.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I can assure you, there is quite enough money in my varied pockets. Batteries are not an inconsequensial expense, but I didn't own a Caddy during my college years. Bless you.

Regards,

Warren

I always knew you weren't hurting for money

Just a feeling I had :)

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

I'd at least try to let them live until their warranty is up, and they usually give you warning signs.... cadillac's love to pop the trunk and fuel door to let you know that your battery is on its way out.

Its going against the warning signs that screws ya up.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I just changed the original delco battery in the 01 dts It still worked fine I just changed it do to it's age I replaced it with the same delco battery When these batteries get old I found they just quit working one day they are fine then they short out from all the deposits on the bottom of the battery I didn't feel like having to jump the car in the up comming winter months The old battery looked brand new it sits under the rear seat and was very clean The guy at the auto parts told me he was going to put my old battery in his car I told him good luck. I figured at $84 bucks and 15 minutes of my time it's cheap insurance. I imagine it would be a pain in the a-- to jump or change the battery in sub zero weather You need some long battery cables to get at that battery under the rear seat

Jim

I replace them when they go bad as well.... I have never found a reason otherwise to do so.

Its funny you mention never being stranded because you replace your's. I used to have a 1987 chev celebrity(by no means hard on batteries). I had put a brand new battery in it , and about two months later the car would just not start. I charged it, would not hold a charge. So I returned it, and the *smurf***** behind the counter says to me , 'Well if you charge it, it might work', so I told him if he can get it to hold a charge I'll gladly take it back.. Needless to say I walked outta there with a brand new battery. I have lost all faith in new , or used batteries since then, I just hope my car always turns over. I had the same mentality as you, about keeping a good battery so I don't get stranded because I was putting alot of miles on my cars those days......(40,000+ km's a year), but I also keep jumper cables in my car as re assurance.

I have yet to even see the battery compartment in any of the caddy's I've owned, I have heard its under the back seat or something. :)

I imagine it would be a pain in the a-- to jump or change the battery in sub zero weather You need some long battery cables to get at that battery under the rear seat

Jim,

Should you ever need a jump, there is a small black box under the hood on the passenger side that contains a junction block for that purpose.

At least 5yrs, but I imagine were you live has something to do with it (temps) As for it leaving you stranded I would think the power shut off would cut that WAY down. Only times I've been dead in the water was leaving something on, never with the caddy

I imagine it would be a pain in the a-- to jump or change the battery in sub zero weather You need some long battery cables to get at that battery under the rear seat

Jim,

Should you ever need a jump, there is a small black box under the hood on the passenger side that contains a junction block for that purpose.

Thanks Ranger

I didn't know that about the junction box I Hope I never need to use it. I have a set of some very long cables 25ft ones I just never have them handy when you need them

I still remember the last time I need a jump on another cadillac the battery was about 5yrs old worked fine then just quit Lucky it was in the summer time I jumped the car drove to the local auto parts & changed the battery in the parking lot Talk about shade tree maintaince..They even borrowed me the tools to change the battery I changed the battery on this one the dealer wanted $150 labor + the battery at $155 so I saved a couple bucks by doing it myself.

.Jim

Regarding premature replacement, it's one of those personal choices that we all must make, and we can't all replace EVERYTHING before necessary. Some pieces are considered more of a priority than others. WarrenJ, obviously you consider a battery one of the most important pieces of the vehicle, and replace it often. Maybe someone else is pretty anal about brakes, and replaces those every 2 years, regardless. I tend to be the same way about tires -- and replace tires before I probably "have to". Just because we don't happen to prioritize a battery for early replacement doesn't make someone wrong, nor does it indicate that they choose to be stranded. It simply means that it's not one of the items they can or do choose to put at the top of their list.

So to answer the question in your first post, "what's wrong with me", well, I don't have a million dollars to go out and buy new tires every 4 years, a new battery every 3, new brakes every 2, etc. We're a young family with one car payment, and I happen to like Cadillacs, and drive a 1997 model with no car payment. I don't have extra cash to buy batteries all the time, and the extra cash I DO have goes back into spending time with my family. If that's my biggest problem, I'm doing GREAT.

For what it's worth, my Seville is on it's 2nd replacement battery, 3rd total. All have been ACDelco batteries. We got about 4 years out of the first one, about 4 years out of the second, and we'll see how long I get from the 3rd one. None were replaced before they died, and at the same time, we were never stranded because of one. A battery usually shows symptoms of failing before it just outright quits, and once that happens, I replace it immediately.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I replace my batteries when they show signs of failing. When I sold my old Park Avenue in August, the battery was nine years old and it was still starting the car just fine. It HAD to be living on borrowed time though so I kept a set of jumper cables in the trunk...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived