CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strange Problem

LarryMB

I recently picked up a 99 Deville from a Bank as a repo. My First Caddy and I'm really impressed by it. Best car I have ever owned and its used... Other then a few minor problems this wonderful vehicle has one that perplexes me. For some reason the entire electrical system seems to shut down and reset every 24 hours (approx). When this occurs I can not use the remote to unlock the doos. I have to enter with the key and start the vehicle. When I do this the alarm goes off and I just hit the remote unlock button to shut that off. My trip meter and radio have reset. After that the car is great until the next morning when it all happens again.

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this and what could possibly resolve it?

Thanks,

Larry

Welcome.

That is very strange. Not sure we have ever heard that one before. Pull the DTCs (Diagnostic trouble Codes) by simultaneously pressing and holding the OFF and WARMER buttons til the dash lights up. DTCs will be displayed on the bottom. Write them down and post back or decifer them here http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html.

Are there any aftermarket electrical items on your car such as a remote starter or aftermarket alarm system?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would start with the battery cables. Check for corrosion at the positive connection (including under insulation near the connection point) and proper grounding. Unless the connections are spotless you probably should clean them. I had a problem where the PCM would reset while driving due to corrosion at the positive battery connection.

When this problem arises the car is completely powerless. No dome lights or anything so when I attempted to get codes it did not work. Also battery connections appear to be good.

Only aftermarket part on the car is a Radio the previous owner installed. Have looked at installation on it and it appears ok but also found that person had tried to bypass the parking signal to enable the DVD player to work while driving. Unhooked that since wire but this problem existed prior to that.

Thanks for your help,

Larry

Clean the battery connections especially the positive cable, take it apart by removing the red insulator.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yes my car is completely dead until I start the vehicle. Then the alarm goes off and I have to reset that. I usually just use my Remote "unlock" function to shut it off.

I have checked the battery connections and they are good and clean.

I did pull off the codes this morning after starting the vehicle (wouldn't work until I did) Here is the list it gave me.

PCM

P0603 - Control module long term memory reset

P0741 - TCC system stuck off

P1632 - Theft Deterrent Fuel Disable signal recieved

B1552 - Keep alive memory (KAM) error

B1983 - Device power circuit low

SDM

U1064 - Loss of communication with DIM

U1040 - Loss of Class 2 Communications with ABS

U1255 - Class 2 Communication malfunction (serial Data line malfunction)

B1327 - Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 Volts

Was shocked there were so many but I also dont see it pointing at one general area. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

Was shocked there were so many but I also dont see it pointing at one general area. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

I would begin with a known good or new battery.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Yes my car is completely dead until I start the vehicle. Then the alarm goes off and I have to reset that. I usually just use my Remote "unlock" function to shut it off.

I have checked the battery connections and they are good and clean.

I did pull off the codes this morning after starting the vehicle (wouldn't work until I did) Here is the list it gave me.

PCM

P0603 - Control module long term memory reset

P1632 - Theft Deterrent Fuel Disable signal recieved

B1552 - Keep alive memory (KAM) error

B1983 - Device power circuit low

SDM

U1064 - Loss of communication with DIM

U1040 - Loss of Class 2 Communications with ABS

U1255 - Class 2 Communication malfunction (serial Data line malfunction)

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

Do not worry, the more codes the better. They clearly indicate you have battery- ground- or cable-related problem. As soon as you fix the problem all the codes (or most of them) will be gone.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Was shocked there were so many but I also dont see it pointing at one general area.

Boy, I sure do.

PCM

P0603 - Control module long term memory reset <-- Likely a voltage problem.

P1632 - Theft Deterrent Fuel Disable signal recieved <-- Likely a voltage problem.

B1552 - Keep alive memory (KAM) error <-- Likely a voltage problem.

B1983 - Device power circuit low <-- Likely a voltage problem.

SDM

U1064 - Loss of communication with DIM <-- Likely a voltage problem.

U1040 - Loss of Class 2 Communications with ABS <-- Likely a voltage problem.

U1255 - Class 2 Communication malfunction (serial Data line malfunction) <-- Likely a voltage problem.

B1327 - Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 Volts <-- Likely a voltage problem.

I would certainly start with checking all battery cable connections (even on the engine/starter/ground side) and if that is good, have the battery tested by a retailer.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

B1327 Sounds like you have either a draw on the battery from a foreign device (Radio hookup), or an internal short in the Battery. I believe low voltage is the root cause of all your other codes.

When you get in the car in the morning, what does your voltage read on the dash before you start?

I would begin with a known good or new battery.

I think that is the *only* place to start. You have all the symptoms of a bad battery (low voltage) confusing your computers.

Second best, as JasonA suggested, have a retailer test the battery for you.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 2 weeks later...

Archived