CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Super Low Mile Eldorado

ted tcb

I like to tour through Ebay for my next purchase .. this one caught my

eye, for all the wrong reasons.

This Eldo is advertised as original 11k mileage.

The lumbar controls have the finish flaking off, and the beauty cover

shows signs of the plastic breaking down.

Looks more like 111k, but they're sticking to their story.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2DR-ELDORAD...1QQcmdZViewItem

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

The right front bumper looks misaligned or some of a thing

Possible damage?

Front end damage is nothing to fool with

Of course the bumper may just be loose :lol:

That Chris Rock guy said it best:

"The federal government done put men on the moon. You think they can't make an ElDorado where the bumper don't fall off?"

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

that engine looks strange, rats make home in there? Messy looking. Other than that the car looks great but I would certainly make sure I can see the thing in person and take it for a drive before considering it. I hope they have cooling system maintanance records or proof of engine repairs on it. Also in the description they say its a 93 with a 4.9L engine? Mistake or not those pictures show a northstar and that beauty cover looks strange to me.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I would expect some sort of explanation in the description regarding the alleged low mileage. After all, it's essentially in new condition. Think about it—The owner buys a $42K car, lets it sit most of the time then sells it for a fraction of it’s original cost. Essentially, nothing was gained—value, enjoyment! Seems a bit peculiar to me. But then again, I guess it’s possible the seller is telling the truth. However, I would think that anyone that garages a car does so with an expectation of gaining something like value. So again, why the low mileage?

I wonder if the seat controls still have that protective plastic film still on there and that is what is flaking off? The engine looks like it was cleaned, but the pitting/flaking looks suspicious. Looks like either the engine cleaner they used ate the paint, the engine got really hot, or it was stored in a moist environment? :unsure: Being it's from FL, I wouldn't put flood damage past it either.

What do you want to bet that is not the original engine and that it was from a junk yard....

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

From what I could see on the eBay pages, this is a dealer wholesale outlet or other used car person or department that is trying to find a way to dispose of trades or estate sale cars. He has one other car for sale, an old Chevrolet Caprice convertable with a 400 cid engine. He doesn't seem to have detailed knowledge of the history of the cars; I'm not concerned by the seller's confusing a Northstar with a 4.9 because that is just more of the same of what you see in the rest of the post. I would find a way to visit Panama City, FL to look at the cars myself if I was interested in either of them. If it is possible to make arrangements there for a mechanic inspection, I would do that oo.

He gives a VIN for the Eldorado. I didn't check it with CaddyHistory or CarFAX, but whatever I find out there is moot unless the VIN can be verified on the car. This is the first thing I would check in inspecting the car.

It could be a very good deal if it is what is is presented to be. On the other hand, a car that sits for 13 years of its 14 year life can be counted on to have issues, hidden or otherwise, (head bolts?) before one could use it as a daily driver.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I don't see why they would not have it steam cleaned and put a new cover on there if it was a scam and a trick

Sure is odd

On the 93 N*, the beauty cover is part of the intake manifold, so just replacing the cover isn't really a viable option like on the later motors.

Charles

Charles

Bidding ended at $9100, "Reserve not met." Kelly Blue Book calls the price at $5190 for Excellent Condition from an individual for this car, but the seller put a ridiculous reserve on it so that he would not be obligated to take any reasonable bid. The "winning" bid was by 7666eddie.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

The more I think about it the more I wonder if he just put a new dash in it and the rest of the parts from the scrap bin to try and piece together a junker to sell.

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I'm inclined to agree with Egreen.

I think they've changed out the guage cluster, and spent some time

on body work, rims, tires, and cosmetic clean up.

The engine bay looks like it has 200k on it. The radio controls and lumbar controls

just don't look fresh ... not just the removable coatings which are peeling, but little

grooves and crevices appear to be dull and dusty, ridden hard, put away wet.

Even the power seat controls on the driver's side have wear scuffs around them.

These are observations made on a few ebay pics. I can only guess the level of

dissapointment in person ... I notice there are no underbody or trunk pics.

Looking at that engine, you can only wonder how many green coolant changes

have been missed in the last 13 years ... scary thought for someone who believes

they bid on an almost new Eldo.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I took a closer look at the pictures, and I think it's what they say it is, good and bad. How they got it running at all is anybody's guess. The clincher is the keys -- they haven't made gold keys in years, so those must be the originals -- and there is little wear on the keys. I think it sat in a garage for most of the 13 years. My guess is an estate sale.

The miracle to me is that they got a $4K premium over KBB for this car on eBay. The $5100 price was estimated for "Excellent" condition and the miles as stated. For "Excellent" to really apply, the car would have to be in good shape to get in and drive to California through AZ. Without major service on the cooling system, belts and hoses, ignition, fuel system, transmission fluid, brakes, etc. I wouldn't drive this car out of town after dark. I would love to see the codes on this car.

And looks like he's bidding up his auctions too.. He's 850edwin and the high bidder on the Eldo is 7666eddie.. And 7666eddie is also the high bidder on his ATV and his Pontoon.. And the Chevy Caprice that already closed.. DUH!!!! No brainer there..

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

I recently saw an '82 Eldo Biarritz on E-bay with 9K miles. It really looked original. No wear on anything whatsoever. The first thing I look at is the driver's seat. That's generally a good indication of low miles (unless it was replaced of course). I noticed the '93 ETC referenced in this thread also and certain items looked great- it had an extremely clean drivers seat - no wear at all. But the lumbar controls looked like they were used thousands of times. Obviously, there's always going to be some oxidation on a car just from sitting around. That's why I really want to see (in person) and test drive any used car that I'm interested in.

I recently saw an '82 Eldo Biarritz on E-bay with 9K miles. It really looked original. No wear on anything whatsoever. The first thing I look at is the driver's seat. That's generally a good indication of low miles (unless it was replaced of course). I noticed the '93 ETC referenced in this thread also and certain items looked great- it had an extremely clean drivers seat - no wear at all. But the lumbar controls looked like they were used thousands of times. Obviously, there's always going to be some oxidation on a car just from sitting around. That's why I really want to see (in person) and test drive any used car that I'm interested in.

It all goes back to this.

There's "garaging" a car.

Then there's "forgeting about a car".

This one falls into the later I think. If it was an 11,000 mile cared for car this would have been a great car to grab, but its just been sitting in a garage or barn or as I siad earlier, pieced together to sell.

The Green's Machines

Then, there's the research on the seller done by jndaps. This guy has an eBay score of zero as pointed out early-on by adallak on post #2, and shills his bids as found out by jndaps. Also, he clearly came by these rare "forgetten about" (in EGreen's words) cars by whatever means without knowning much about them, then plays shyster games on eBay fishing for suckers to pay two or three times what they are worth.

I would have a lawyer and two mechanics on hand before I went to see any of this guy's cars. It would take an OHV Caddilac V16, a 1942, or a 1993 Allante to get me to bother to even think about it.

Archived