CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oil change today at 12,735 miles

thu

It's been five months and one week (April 5) since my last oil change for my 2003 STS.

With "1%" showing on the Oil Life Monitor, the oil was changed today.

Two quarts were added since last oil change: 1 qt 5W-30 dinosaur oil, 1 qt 5W30 Mobil 1. This means it uses one quart every 6,300 miles.

Last oil change: 6 qts Mobil 1 5W-30, 1qt Mobil 1 10W-30

This oil change was 7 qts Mobil 1 5W-30.

Total miles since last oil change: 12,735

I thought the OLM maxed out at 12,500 miles, but this proves otherwise.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

The new questions are, When does the "Change Oil" message first appear" and "How many times does it remind you?"

I never saw the change oil message!

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

IPB Image

It is gonna take a lot of getting used to, to wait THAT long to change oil. I will probably change it before it says to. Don't have a good reason to :) .... just don't yet trust oil to last that long.

Posted Image

I change when the OLI says 50%. If you do that, you will never have to add oil. And, I use synthetic 5W-30. My original never burnt a drop of oil from day 1 until it had 70,000 miles on it, when service put some bulk oil or some such in it. My new Jasper engine hasn't burnt a drop in the first 2,500 miles (I changed it at 500 miles at Jasper's recommendation).

Of course, I'm picky about my baby, and I plan to drive it until people ask me what it is.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Just had the oil changed in my 2005 SRX for the first time last week. It was at 8% and it had still not displayed the warning message. I probably would have let it keep going for a little while longer, but I have a big road trip coming up this coming week. I thought for sure the message would come up at 10%, or at least that was my understanding. When I bought the SRX the oil life monitor was at 80%, and that was January! Put another 6k on it after the 80% before it got to 8%. So when does the warning come up? 0%? :blink:

Anyway, I got free oil (and tires) for life when I bought the car, and even though the message hadn't come up yet they were willing to do it anyway considering the upcoming trip (about 1400 miles round trip).

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I think Ranger is right, at 10% mine went on.... I forgot to reset it once, after an oil change....

And yeah, every time I started the car, it would give the message, and you'd have to hit the info button to go back to whatever you like in that display....

Changing every 3000, as I do, the indicator generally is between 50% and 60% oil life remaining....

Oddly enough, my 82,000 mile Northstar doesn't burn any either, at least not enough to detect.... one time, after a VERY aggresive trip on I-57 between Champaign and Chicago, I was down 1 quart, but those were 3 digit speeds, being maintained for an hour.... Ranger probably knows where I'm talking about.... that's the only time I've lost any oil...

Jim, I like where your head's at, but I'm afraid people will always know what the car is... the glory of the Eldorado will live forever.... the last of the purebred personal luxury coupes....

I see while I'm writing here, davedog posted that it was down to 8%... well, MINE goes on at 10%, anyway.... maybe the new ones are different....

considered doing a used oil analysis? They can tell you everything from if the engines is running rich to how much longer or how much shorter, the change could be, when my ticks down this time I'm going to get one just to see what it comes up with...well I might anyway, its 20 or 30 bucks if I remember right from blackstone labs.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I ignore the heck out of it and change the oil at 3000 miles.

Keep in mind that most of the time, you're changing the oil way too soon - there is plenty of life left in the oil. Also, when it is cold outside and if most of your trips are short, 3000 miles could be WAY too long of an interval for oil change. I had the "Change Oil" light illuminate on my Fleetwood at 1800 miles once...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

So when does the warning come up? 0%? :blink:

I wondered the same thing. I never saw the message and have been waiting the last four weeks for it to show up. I should have waited one more week for the OLM to show 0% to see the message. So, like Patrick7997, I also wonder if the newer cars wait until 0% before the change oil message shows.

Today's oils and engines are amazing. I have gone from changing oil every 3000 miles (years ago) to almost 13,000 miles. That's four times fewer changes. It's to the point where oil changes are a minor expense. In many cases, it costs less than a tank of gas!

IPB Image

My '02 Seville also did not show a warning, and I took it down to 1%. I was going to let it go down to 0%, but it seemed as though it would never change. I drove the car when it was at 1% for about 1,500 miles, and then just decided to change the oil.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

It is possible that the newer cars don't display the message until the percentage reads 0%. My '96 displays the "CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON" message when the oil life is 10%. I think my '97 is at 36% remaining so it will be awhile before I receive the mesaage.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived