CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hoping Your Day Was Better Than Mine

WarrenJ

I'd contact Cadillac/GM about it, they may want to look at it or at least here what the problem was, maybe from this they can determine what was wrong and if its a problem, maybe do a recall and indeed prevent this from happening to someone elses baby.

In the end it all goes back to, you really have 8 differant explosions happen in time to propel the vehicle.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

The car already was part of a fuel rail recall to replace nylon fuel rails with stainless steel. However the stainless rail is still fed by a nylon line. I'd certainly let GM & NHTSA both know about it, NHTSA especially.

If you have comprehensive coverage on your car insurance, that will likely cover Blue Book wholesale. Watch out for an adjuster who tries to value your car in the damaged state, not as it was before the fire; I've seen that just about every time.

You will find that most insurance companies are really good when dealing with total loss fires that are clearly not arson.

And no they will not offer, nor should you accept, wholesale value. You should get "fair market" value for this car. This is the fair retail value of this car (or one of very similar mileage and condition) in your area.

Step 1 Document that your car was mint... all of the baby pictures you have will help.

Step 2 Start shopping at local dealerships and online... Find three or four cars that you can defend as being as nice as yours... I've even seen some insurance companies buy a similar car for you from a dealership and "give" the car as settlement for the claim. If there is a car in town for sale that you like, ask if they will do this... This is the purest definition of indemnification...

Step 3 When you meet with your adjuster bring all of your paperwork with you, read your policy and know what it says. Again, most adjusters are pretty good with these claims since they don't involve multiple insurance companies, they don't involve liability and they don't involve the repair industry...

Finally, most Automobile insurance providers wave the deductible for total lost fires, check for this...

With a little luck and some decent timing you should be driving another "Cherry" Eldo within 2 or three weeks with zero cost to you. With a little luck, you might even come out a little ahead.

If you find one you like on e-bay I'm sure you will find no shortage of people on this site who would love to be your eyes and ears...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Ya know, only a few short years ago folk didn't walk about with cellphone cameras on their hips. I'm guessing there's more of my kinda on-the-spot stuff to come . . . . heck, looking back on it, I might even have taken moving video witrh sound!

Anyways, thanks to those folk who "felt my pain," and offered condolences.

BUT, I'll be baaack . . . .

Regards,

Warren :)

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

That's painful to look at....

Glad to hear you're alright.

Good luck in your search for another one....

Baby backfired within 20' of the Stop sign; I thought that odd. When I came to a full stop, I saw smoke and a wisp of flame at the left front corner of the hood.

Instantly, I killed the ignition and popped both the hood and trunk. I got the industrial sized fire extinguisher from the trunk and went at the fire under the hood. The fire was gone at the same time the extinguisher breathed its last. WHEW! Then appeared a little flame deep down in the bowels . . . . and a second fire extinguisher was nowhere to be found.

I was wondering if you had a fire extinguisher. I keep one in my Eldorado just in case. It’s a bit unsettling to hear you not only had a fire extinguisher but a good one at that, yet you were still unable to prevent this horrible situation, especially in light your quick reaction.

My Condolences!

Baby backfired within 20' of the Stop sign; I thought that odd. When I came to a full stop, I saw smoke and a wisp of flame at the left front corner of the hood.

Instantly, I killed the ignition and popped both the hood and trunk. I got the industrial sized fire extinguisher from the trunk and went at the fire under the hood. The fire was gone at the same time the extinguisher breathed its last. WHEW! Then appeared a little flame deep down in the bowels . . . . and a second fire extinguisher was nowhere to be found.

I was wondering if you had a fire extinguisher. I keep one in my Eldorado just in case. It’s a bit unsettling to hear you not only had a fire extinguisher but a good one at that, yet you were still unable to prevent this horrible situation, especially in light your quick reaction.

My Condolences!

Yep, and I don't want to sound bitter, but any number of bystanders might have provided that much needed second fire extinguisher. Instead, they gawked.

Now I'm not suggesting I saw anyone race for the marshmellows, but . . . . it was disappointing just the same.

"Baby II," should there be one, will have at least two macho extinguishers. Lesson well learned. Don't even *think* about one of those pint-sized "household" extinguishers.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

You know Warren, about 3 months ago, the house across the street from me burned to the ground, I will take a photo tomorrow. I was first on the scene, it started in a rear screened in porch, by a cigarette. When I arrived the flames were about 2 to 3 feet high off of a couch. By the time I ran across the street to call fire company, the fire was out of control. If I had a fire extinguisher, I probably could have put it out. I really need to buy one and keep it handy... I dont know how many people actually have them, but after that experience I need to buy one... It took the fire company 32 minutes to arrive and 15 minutes to get water on the fire after that.... needless to say it was a total loss and just sold as VACANT LAND less DEMOLITION! Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If I had a fire extinguisher, I probably could have put it out. I really need to buy one and keep it handy...

Mike,

A few years back my brother "overnighted" at my place.

He took some small joy in relating to others my words to him when I took him to the linen closet and showed him the two most important things in the house. "Here," said I, "are the spare rolls of toilet paper AND THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER!"

Priorities.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I have 4 fire extinguishers in my house; one in my kitchen pantry, and three in my garage. All are big ABC commercial sized ones, no boat sized wimpy ones here. Before selling my truck, I used to always keep one in there. After reading this, I will put one in my trunk.

Who knows how many I have at my business, probably 5 or 6 atleast. I've found good deals on them at auctions in the past. Ever since getting in the fireworks business, fire extinguishers have become a fetish of mine, that, and flashlights. :rolleyes:

I have 4 fire extinguishers in my house; one in my kitchen pantry, and three in my garage. All are big ABC commercial sized ones, no boat sized wimpy ones here. Before selling my truck, I used to always keep one in there. After reading this, I will put one in my trunk.

Who knows how many I have at my business, probably 5 or 6 atleast. I've found good deals on them at auctions in the past. Ever since getting in the fireworks business, fire extinguishers have become a fetish of mine, that, and flashlights. :rolleyes:

Tell me more.

Tell me more.

LOL...what would you like to know? Do you like fireworks?

I've been a fireworks dealer for the last 8 years. I sell them for 3-4 weeks in June/July. It's a "BANG" business. I took a much needed break from them this year, but sold them the previous 7 years straight. I'm currently looking for a building along I-70 where I can sell them both wholesale and retail all year. My current building where they were sold will be up for sale this fall...time to cash out there. It's a fun and lucrative business. I specialize in the big class C 500 gram aerial repeaters (cakes), but carry them all. I have lots of "friends" that come out of the wood work every July. :rolleyes:

R.I.P.

Last time around for this photo . . . .

Regards,

Warren

IPB Image

Aw heck, one more goin' away . . . .

IPB Image

Posted Image

Sorry to see such a beautiful and well maintained car turned to ashes. Hope that you replace her with another beautiful Cadillac.

Several years ago I had a similar situation with my Suburban. It had a small hydroboost brake fluid leak that didn't cause any problems other than a few drops on the driveway each day. One very hot evening, I was towing a heavy travel trailer up the California Grapevine and just as I was reaching the top of the mountain, I saw bright flashing lights. I assumed that it was the cops so I looked in my mirrors only to see that the flashing lights were coming from a trail of burning fuel and oil being deposited on the highway. Anyways, I was quite lucky since a trucker and a good Samaritan pulled right in front of me to help. The trucker started at the fire with his fire extinguisher but it ran out. The good Samaritan saw that the wiring was shorting out because they were still hooked to the batteries so he quickly disconnected the battery cables with his Leatherman. Luckily, in the back of the Suburban I had 5 gallons of drinking water that I quickly retrieved to put out what was ready to burst back into flames. The aftermath was a vehicle with every rubber and plastic part melted including the tires. I didn't have collision insurance on this vehicle so I decided to fix it spending about two weeks replacing all melted parts, but couldn't find a wiring harness so I ended up temporarily fixing the wiring harness to get the vehicle back on the road again. Looking back at the situation, it would have been a mess had there not been the 2 good Samaritans who stopped to help as well as the 5 gallons of drinking water that I was carrying around.

IPB Image

Sorry to see such a beautiful and well maintained car turned to ashes. Hope that you replace her with another beautiful Cadillac.

Several years ago I had a similar situation with my Suburban. .... . The aftermath was a vehicle with every rubber and plastic part melted including the tires. I didn't have collision insurance on this vehicle so I decided to fix it ....

Actually fire insurance is include in the comprehensive part of your policy, not collision. I hope you talked to an adjuster before you fixed the car... you might have been covered. If you had insured the car against theft... fire protection is almost always bundled in...

Live and learn.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

The neighbor across from me came home one day and noticed smoke coming from the house next door. He got my attention and I call the fire dept. He brought his extinguisher and I took mine. The fire was on the deck between the garage and the house. We both had it almost extinguished when the fire dept. got there. We had checked to see if anyone was home but no one answered the doors. Then with the fire out and the trucks still outside the next door neighbors teenage son came sleepy out the front door and did not know what had happened. The fire was caused by a shorted electrical blanket in the dog house on the deck. Damage was minimal because we had good sized extinguishers. I will never forget the smell of melting vinyl siding.

A fire extinguisher is a great thing to have.... and yeah, those little boat ones are useless...

A fire exinguisher sprays a little more than a pound a second, so the 20lb unit gives you about 15-16 seconds of spray.... which, when the adrenaline flows, will seem like a lifetime, but is not a lot of time....

The 20lb units are at Sam's Club pretty cheap....

Keep checking the guage. Also, if you ever use it, it's done, get rid of it, even if the guage shows it still has something left....get a new one.

Also, when you buy it, write the date on it... if it's 2 or 3 years old, probably replace it.

The cheaper ones are not rechargeable. If you're really serious about your fire extinguishers, you can spend more and get rechargeable ones. There are fire extinguisher companies that will come in every year and change out all your fire extinguishers... if you have any kind of business, that is probably a good idea....

The ABC rating is what you are looking for. These are the typical "dry chem" extinguisher...

If this is for a computer room, you may want a Halon type.... something safe for electronics...

The method is PASS... memorize that. It stands for PULL... AIM... SQUEEZE.... SWEEP.

1. Pull the Pin

2. Aim the hozzle at the BASE of the flames, the source.

3. Squeeze the handle. The first squeeze might be pretty hard. After that, it will squeeze pretty easy. Crack it open with both hands if you have to, then use one hand. With adrenaline, it usually is not a problem, but small women, people with arthritis, kids, elderly people, may want to keep that in mind...

4. sweep the nozzle back and forth.

And as we just heard in this post, it may want to re-ignite. Stay alert & vigilant, even if it looks like it's out.

Also, if you're going to fight a fire, position yourself between the FIRE and the DOOR... if it looks bad, run!!! NEVER let the fire get BETWEEN you and the door!!!!

Also, in a building fire, step ONE is to pull the alarm....THEN fight the fire....

Another thing, if you have extinguishers, don't hang your jacket on it, or pile everything in the shop in front of it.... it should be out in the open, and accessible. Ideally, they should be near every door, to re-enforce the Keeping yourself between the fire & the door principle... At home, everybody should know where they are... and if you move it, show everyone the new location.... obviously, emphasis should be placed on kitchens, workshops, garages... have a few around, not just one... they get lonely anyways. Buy a bunch, put 'em all over.... Heh heh, when you NEED it , you'd prefer not to have to run through the whole house to find it.... you want it RIGHT THERE!

I used to work at a paint factory, where fire is an ever-present and very scary possibility..... Occasionally, during fire safety awareness periods, local FD's have training deals, where you can actually put out a little test fire with an extinguisher.... those are VERY worthwhile.... take the day off if you have to, or convince your boss to send people from work on the clock.... very good training... look into that in your area... even a small volunteer department may offer some training. Ours does.

I put out a fire in the paint factory once.... all your training will come back to you instantaneously... and your heart will do some WOT's, to clean out the carbon.... B)

The neighbor across from me came home one day and noticed smoke coming from the house next door. He got my attention and I call the fire dept. He brought his extinguisher and I took mine. The fire was on the deck between the garage and the house. We both had it almost extinguished when the fire dept. got there. We had checked to see if anyone was home but no one answered the doors. Then with the fire out and the trucks still outside the next door neighbors teenage son came sleepy out the front door and did not know what had happened. The fire was caused by a shorted electrical blanket in the dog house on the deck. Damage was minimal because we had good sized extinguishers. I will never forget the smell of melting vinyl siding.

I was shocked how flameable vinyl siding is, it melted off the house like icing...

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I was shocked how flameable vinyl siding is, it melted off the house like icing...

It is very toxic also. I inhaled a little and it gave me a sore throat for a few days. My neighbor inhaled a little also. He is on disability now because of a lung problem, he worked for the gas company, but I still think some of his problems stem from inhaling the siding fumes.

I had smoke inhalation also, and also had a tender throat and lungs for a few days from this fire directly across the street from me (sorry its out of focus, time for a new camera). If I had a fire extinguiser I might have saved it...

post-2998-1157128818.jpg

vinyl siding ? Well just dont ask my dad about this type of thing ! My step mom melted a very large section on the back of the house with the gril. I would think they would require this stuff to be better than what it is.

Michael-

Archived