CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

compressor cycling pulling RPM down

kwarman

When my compressor cycles it seems as if it is pulling my RPM way down a few hundred RPMs is this a precursor of a bad compressor or could I have a plug in the system. I also have the AC 1347 code appearing. Thanks for your help.

B1347 - Very Low A/C Refrigerant Warning

It seems likely that you are low on Freon. I would have it checked ASAP.

In 2003, my compressor ate its reed valves and I got a new one from the dealer. It had six years on it, the first three in the L.A. area, and I never turned it off.

If indeed you do need a compressor, a new one from the dealer comes with a lifetime warranty, parts and labor. Recently the clutch stuck on mine and I thought that I had a problem. A mechanic tapped it and it is OK, but I asked the dealer about it and was told that they wanted to fix it very badly for free. I told them that it seemed to have stuck just once but I would be right in if it gave any hint of trouble. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, you should consider that before you buy a less expensive compressor elsewhere.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If indeed you do need a compressor, a new one from the dealer comes with a lifetime warranty, parts and labor . . . . If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, you should consider that before you buy a less expensive compressor elsewhere.

That's an interesting insight Jim. I was unaware of the lifetime warranty.

kwarman, your problem sounds unusual though. Shouldn't that DTC prevent compressor clutch engagement? And if the compressor is presenting a mechanical load sufficient to lower the rpms by a few hundred, I'd kinda expect to see the serpentine belt sending up some smoke signals.

It will be interesting to see . . . . good luck.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

isn't there a control or logic , that increases the RPM when the compressor is engaged? maybe there is a malfunction there. I know on my old delta 88, there was a solenoid that engaged when the compressor went on that increased idle speed. also there was a switch that shut the AC off when the throttle hit a certain (high speed) position. I say this because sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

isn't there a control or logic , that increases the RPM when the compressor is engaged?

Yep. The PCM is programmed to increase idle speed simultaneous with compressor clutch engagement.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'm actually thinking multiple problems going on here. Low freon, based on the code, but possibly ISC motor either going bad, sticking, or needing calibration.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

- that was it. so the PCM sends current to the ISC to increase idle? isn't a ticking noise from the ISC after the car is shut off a symptom of the ISC going bad. I know there is a thread on this a short time ago.

- that was it. so the PCM sends current to the ISC to increase idle? isn't a ticking noise from the ISC after the car is shut off a symptom of the ISC going bad. I know there is a thread on this a short time ago.

If it is a '96+ model year, they do not have the idle speed controller motor - they have an isle air control solenoid which isn't near as prone to failure.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hello,

Thanks for everyones help. If my compressor is going south would it possibly start to stick. When I am going down the road at 50mph I can feel the compressor kicking in. How often should the compressor cycle. Could I have a plugged orfice tube or something of the like. Is There any way to get some oil to the compressor besides going through the low side?

Thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for everyones help. If my compressor is going south would it possibly start to stick. When I am going down the road at 50mph I can feel the compressor kicking in. How often should the compressor cycle. Could I have a plugged orfice tube or something of the like. Is There any way to get some oil to the compressor besides going through the low side?

Thanks.

I will say this, before I changed my compressor, I used to feel the compressor engage at highway speeds. Ever since I changed my compressor I have not felt that engagement. Note that my compressor hub bearing burned out and overheated and shorted out the clutch windings and blew the AC COMP fuse... I have a 96. If I were you, I would pull your serp belt off, take off the inspection covers in the wheel well and see if your pulley hub is loose, wobbling, binding or rough.... If you don't get to replace the compressor you can by pass it with a short belt... Here is what my compressor looked like when I destroyed the pulley hub bearing

post-2998-1154644986.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I agree with BBF. You should not feel the compressor cycle. I don't even feel mine at idle. Cycle tiome depend on tempurature and humidity. On a very hot humid day, it may run continously.

Archived