CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I should have bought a Deville *sigh*

The Fred

When I took my car in to have it looked over there was a Deville in there,

And I noticed that I prefer the Deville styling...

Oops :unsure:

So I'm going to sell the Seville.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

I think I will,

I might even keep my 1990 Seville awhile..

There is something about the way those little Sevilles drive,

If only they could have a northy *sigh*

I think I should sell the automobile I bought and put the money to better use, in real estate, and buy one of these when I don't have to put all of my available cash into it.

And I could always pick up a high mile 97-99 Deville for under a couple grand at the sale I guess

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

When you sell the Sevile and buy Deville make sure there is no Eldorado around. :lol:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

When you sell the Sevile and buy Deville make sure there is no Eldorado around. :lol:

Oh lord I forgot all about the ETC,

Well I am old and I like four doors :unsure:

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Well I am old and I like four doors

I'm old too, and I like two doors because I never get in the wrong one.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I honestly like the looks of the 98 (think they started in 97 and went to 99) body style deville more than the 2000-2005 models.

For one thing they "cheapened" up the sides and didn't bother adding any chrome to the strips on the doors. Instead people buy those ugly crhome fender flares.

There needs to be a little chrome to break up all that car. I can see the Seville w/o chrome, its ment to look speedy, like it will cut through the wind, but the deville is ment for a luxury ride with some get up and go. Has the softer suspension etc etc.

With that said its nice to see they brought back the chrome flares on the fenders and doors with the 2006 DTS.

I suppose it works out good for me :) In a year or so my dad will be getting another cadillac (probibly a 2003 Deville because he really wants to still have a cassette player) and for a small (read way under market value) I get the 98 :)

Then in a few years my brother will get that 2003 and my father will buy a DTS (or STS, or XLR, depends on if he gets the over 60 I want to be 40 again bug :P). I know as soon as both my brother and I are out of the house he is going to use that "freed up" income on a great Cadillac.

Why I posted all that I don't know, but this thread triggered my typing fingers to send all that out there :)

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Fred, this is a hard mistake to make. The Deville and Seville are so different to me. I would love to trade my Deville for a Seville ASAP and may do so.

The reason I want a Seville is because of the cushy ride of the DEVILLE, I had a 91 Seville, and it was a SLOT CAR, and I prefer a car that is tight and handles good. Be careful, while you like the STYLING of the DEVILLE, you may prefer the HANDLING of the SEVILLE.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I Love my DeVille...because it is "Cushy"!

[attachmentid=2637]

Don't get me wrong, if you like that, its fantastic!

I just took my son and his two friends on a 1,200 mile trip from NY to Virginia Beach, and my Deville totally fit the bill! By the end of the trip, and after a few WOT's, they referred to my Deville as The Beast! Its fantastic for long trips!

My preference is tight, flat, and hugging in turns.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Don't anyone get offended, as Ranger said, to each his own.. I am not being critical of the Deville, if anyone has ever driven a 91 Seville with H-rated tires, you know exactly what I mean, and the ride I like...

For long rides, you can't beat the Deville

Don't anyone get offended, as Ranger said, to each his own.. I am not being critical of the Deville, if anyone has ever driven a 91 Seville with H-rated tires, you know exactly what I mean, and the ride I like...

For long rides, you can't beat the Deville

I'm not offended at all Mike. I've had my share of sports type cars, and this was my first luxury car. And now that I've tasted both, the luxury "cushy" ride is now my preferrance. It could be my age showing I guess. When I was younger, I never thought I'd own a 4 door "old man's car". ;)

I like a little play in the wheel and a softer ride..

What kind of Deville are you trading me for my Seville :)

Love the 91 Seville.. use to have one and had a 91 eldo and an 89 eldo and a 90 seville and an 89 deville and some other ones

PS: Have my second 90 Seville right now

PPS: I agree - I love the 97-99 Deville

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

In all honesty the seville and deville handle a lot alike (especially when in 2000 they shared the same platform). The seville is far from a sports car. The differance being in the deville it covers up the fact that you are about to slide out while the seville lets you know so you can correct it :) Deville masks the harsh feel of the road, seville embraces. Its firmer so more confidance in the turns.

The Deville has the real soft cushy feeling, but you angle the turns right it still gets threw....just have to be careful. Striat line performance they are about the same. Honestly my deville doesn't feel to bad compared to some other sedans I've driven.

Now the new STS on the otherhand, that is whole nother topic :)

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I use to be able to drive real well.

I would have practice chases when I was young.

My '79 Deville and me could catch or outrun even small little sports cars in city blocks.. darn could I corner I tell you what.

I really prefer the Deville

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

In all honesty the seville and deville handle a lot alike (especially when in 2000 they shared the same platform). The seville is far from a sports car.

Especially if you're considering an SLS or DeVille Concours. My SLS rides very much like a DeVille, but that owes to the softer S-rated tires and original struts/shocks all around. Save for possibly the CTS-V and XLR, I don't consider any Cadillac a sports car. Any car *could* be hussled around. But a true sports car does it with grip to spare, with communicative steering, and with as little weight as possible (read: Solstice, Miata, S2000, etc).

Fred would do well to at least consider an SLS if he didn't like the STS, but neither will have the room of a DeVille. And as far as contemporary DeVilles go, I don't think it gets much better than a White Diamond 97-99 with thin-stripe whitewall tires.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

In all honesty the seville and deville handle a lot alike (especially when in 2000 they shared the same platform). The seville is far from a sports car. The differance being in the deville it covers up the fact that you are about to slide out while the seville lets you know so you can correct it :) Deville masks the harsh feel of the road, seville embraces. Its firmer so more confidance in the turns.

The Deville has the real soft cushy feeling, but you angle the turns right it still gets threw....just have to be careful. Striat line performance they are about the same. Honestly my deville doesn't feel to bad compared to some other sedans I've driven.

Now the new STS on the otherhand, that is whole nother topic :)

Allow me to correct myself, if I am going to own a SEVILLE it will be an STS, you might be right about the base Seville.

For the record my 91 SEVILLE was amazing, and it would leave my DEVILLE in the dust on turns. Someone once told me that the 91 SEVILLE was built to compete with the BMW's of the world. It was tight and I miss it.

Allow me to correct myself, if I am going to own a SEVILLE it will be an STS, you might be right about the base Seville.

For the record my 91 SEVILLE was amazing, and it would leave my DEVILLE in the dust on turns. Someone once told me that the 91 SEVILLE was built to compete with the BMW's of the world. It was tight and I miss it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

We have a 91 seville STS and really love the way it handles. I love the quick steering, you can turn quick sharp intersections without moving your hands around the wheel. Original exhaust with dual outlets sounds cool without being too loud. I have owned an early GTO.

Slightly firm ride, but never had one of the cushy boats to compare it to.

I consider this car to be Cadillac's version of the early Pontiac GTO. And I've learned about the rear spring being one composition mounted across instead of the regular way, like a Corvette.

It is a California garage kept car so the pearl white looks like new, with 98000 miles.

Bob B

I would also say my 88 Eldorado is amazing in the handling department. Stock form with 14" tires it was not but I was at the junkyard one day and there was a 91 Seville STS sitting out there. I got the idea of making mine into the never made 88 Eldorado ETC so I bought and installed the handling parts which included fast ratio steering rack and rear stabilizer bar. In addition, I install new struts on all four corners and 17" wheels and tires. These changes really makes the car grip around corners. Now when I rent cars, I have to be careful because I'm used to a good handling car.

IPB Image

IPB Image

You bid on Eldo on July 6 and tell us you forgot all abot ETC a week later. You buy STS and want to sell immediately because you saw a Deville the day you bought Seville.... Very funny... Looks like we have got another troll. Or at least someone who behaves like one.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I would also say my 88 Eldorado is amazing in the handling department. Stock form with 14" tires it was not but I was at the junkyard one day and there was a 91 Seville STS sitting out there. I got the idea of making mine into the never made 88 Eldorado ETC so I bought and installed the handling parts which included fast ratio steering rack and rear stabilizer bar. In addition, I install new struts on all four corners and 17" wheels and tires. These changes really makes the car grip around corners. Now when I rent cars, I have to be careful because I'm used to a good handling car.

IPB Image

I'll bet! I think they had it right with this body style, maybe it was balance. Does you car have the composite leaf spring in the rear? Its a beauty.

You bid on Eldo on July 6 and tell us you forgot all abot ETC a week later. You buy STS and want to sell immediately because you saw a Deville the day you bought Seville.... Very funny... Looks like we have got another troll. Or at least someone who behaves like one.

I'm with you adallak!

I like a little play in the wheel and a softer ride..

What kind of Deville are you trading me for my Seville :)

Love the 91 Seville.. use to have one and had a 91 eldo and an 89 eldo and a 90 seville and an 89 deville and some other ones

PS: Have my second 90 Seville right now

PPS: I agree - I love the 97-99 Deville

My Deville is at the bottom of this page, photo one!

88,000 miles

In the last 24 months I did:

New AC Compressor, Condenser, Accumulator

Serp Belt, Idler Wheel, Tensioner

Water Pump Belt and WP Tensioner

New HVAC fan

New Springs front and rear

New Struts front and rear

New Strut mounts in front, new insulators front and rear

New ball joints

New Hub Bearings

New Michelin Symetry tires, rotated and balanced every 7000 miles

Coolant changed at 40,000 miles (at five years)

New stabilizer bar bushings front and rear

New Strut rod bushings

New parking brake release servo motor

New Upper Radiator hose, new by-pass hose, new green hoses

New heater hoses

Replaced Thermostat

New brakes, caliper bushings

New parking brake cables

Changed tranny fluid and filter at 46000

New oil filter adapter orings

New drivers seat spring unit, and plastic wraparound

New seat recliner switch

Replaced all speakers with Cerwin Vega's

Replaced bottom half of air filter housing

Installed dimming compass rear view mirror

Llamar 35% tints

New fuel rail (recall)

New FPR

New vacuum tank feed tubing, new vacuum check valve

New wiper arms

New windshield

Rear beading on top replaced

Plugs and Fuel Filter

New Battery

Its in great shape! I wax it weekly

Car needs, heater pipes, rear brake tubing, brake hoses, fuel level sensor, seat recliner motor (pass),

Yes, my Eldorado has the composite leaf spring with air struts. Underneath the sheetmetal, the Eldorado and Seville is the same. Even the wheelbase is the same length.

My Allante also uses the same leaf setup as my Eldorado however, the '93 Allante rear suspension was modified to make it handle even better. I'll have to crawl under and check what's the difference.

Thanks for your compliments. I painted this myself using royal blue pearl paint. I put a lot of prep work to get it like this. The paint job has held up very well even with it parked outside in S. California sun. My next paint job will be my '93 Allante.

IPB Image

Archived