CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ownership report - second year

stefank

Friends,

this is an ownership report about the second year of owning my '96 SLS.

To make it short, the car performed flawlessly. I drove 45,000 kms (28,000 mls) in that year, the car has now 123,000 kms (76,500 mls) on the clock.

Beside normal wear (brake pads front and rear, tires) there was anly one horn which quit working. I removed it from the car and repaired it (internal contact failure) and it's working fine since.

I had one issue when the car did not start first time. After removing and reinserting the key the problem was gone, but I had the history error code for the theft deterrent system. Obviously the key pellet was not identified. It did not reoccur, so I guess there may have been some dirt in the lock or on the key, who knows.

I drive the car every day, every wheather. My fuel consumption is in the range of 10 l/100km (24 mpg), oil consumption low at 0.5 liters (1 qt) every 5,000 km (3,000 mls). No oil leaks. No coolant leaks.

Maintenance wise, I follow the oil life monitor, which results in oil change intervals of about 11,000 kms ( 7,000 mls). I had changed the coolant in 2004, and plan to do it this year again. Brake fluid is changed annually. I do all maintenance / repair work myself, since I simply don't trust garages (few exceptions).

I use 5-W-30 semi synthetic all year round, because that's what my German owner's manual calls for. That seems to be different from the US versions, no idea why. Perhaps it's b/c there is absolutely no 10-W-30 available here.

This is one of the best cars I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few! I usually don't keep my cars that long, simply b/c I like to change. But I must say that I have no idea what to replace it with. I'd love to have a 2002 on STS (because they've got the drivetrain improvements and HID and navigation etc), but I would have to shell out at least 20,000 EUR (26,000 USD) for a low mileage example. So I think I'll keep the '96 for another year at least. After all, it's still low miles in comparison. And since the Bose sound system isn't giving me the high-pitch-noise any more (see my separate report if interested) I love it even more.

What bothers me most is the darn trunklid which collects water every time it rains. Upon opening the trunk lid the water falls into the trunk, soaking my clothes, the CD-changer and collects in the spare wheel well. Whoever designed that trunk lid base must have been on drugs or live in Arizona where rain is rare.

Enjoy your cars

Stefan

PS And thanks for all the people posting here, offering help and sharing information. This is a great forum and makes owning a Cadillac much more enjoyable, especially in a foreign country!

QUOTE: Whoever designed that trunk lid base must have been on drugs or live in Arizona where rain is rare. :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was thinking of moving to Phoenix, I was told it only rained about 5 times a year!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

QUOTE: Whoever designed that trunk lid base must have been on drugs or live in Arizona where rain is rare. :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was thinking of moving to Phoenix, I was told it only rained about 5 times a year!

I agree you see so many of that body style running around with water in the tail lights.

michael -

Stefan,

Watch that ignition lock cylinder. It could be the first sign of wires inside of it moving to south. If they are half broken you'll get that message "Wait for 3 minutes" intermittently. If they are weak you won't be able to start the car some day.

Your oil consumption is really low. That 0.5 l is actually close to 0.5 qtr. I personally would keep a car, which does not give you much trouble, as long as possible. You never know what you will get with a newer car.

Four 1/4'' strategically located holes in spare tire well fixed that flood proble. LOL

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Mikeeal,

it's not the water/condensation in the taillights (actually very little on my car) which bothers me, it's the water flowing from the trunk lid's lower edge into the trunk upon opening...

Adallak,

of course you're right, 0.5 liters is about half qtr, my mistake.

Thanks for the hint regarding the lock cylinder, I have read about this problem. Searching around I've found a website (silver bullet something) describing how to cheat the whole system in case the lock cylinder fails.

I have already measured the resistance of my key pellet, and bought a resistor of the corresponding value, soldered two wires to it and keep it in the glove box. So in case it really happens I'm prepared. But so far it was just one incident and I hope the lock cylinder will not go bad.

I agree also regarding changing cars, you never know what you will get!

Best

Stafan

I use 5-W-30 semi synthetic all year round, because that's what my German owner's manual calls for. That seems to be different from the US versions, no idea why. Perhaps it's b/c there is absolutely no 10-W-30 available here.

Yeah, unavailability might explain it. :P

Congrats on having such a trouble-free ride. No doubt, your care is a large part of the reason for that.

Yup, there should be a special place in hell reserved for the trunk lid designer.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Mikeeal,

it's not the water/condensation in the taillights (actually very little on my car) which bothers me, it's the water flowing from the trunk lid's lower edge into the trunk upon opening... End quote]

Stefank,

I agree with you 100% about the trunk lid water issue. Everytime I open the trunk during a rain or after one I curse the poor design. I have a hard time understanding how the unusual amount of water running, falling, dripping into the trunk space from the lid could have been over looked during the design phase. I just shake my head everytime items in my trunk get doust. Love the rest of the caddy but the trunk has always been a sore spot for me. Indeed a trunk designed for the desert.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

One trick I have learned about opening the trunk when it's wet is open it about half way and hold it for about ten seconds while the water drains off it, then open it all the way.

One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand..., yeah, what a pain in the vien. That is a real design flaw. It is still a fun car though. I'm thinking a terreanium in the trunk would be cool, self watering. Mushrooms?

The trunk lid on my '96 opens approximately 1/4 of the way when the release button is depressed. The trunk will stay open when raised to the full open position. That minimizes any water intrusion into the trunk. The deck lid on the '97 STS I just bought flys open when I depress the release button. An adjustment of the tension springs will be in order after the engine repairs are complete.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That's what I usually do, open the trunk while holding the lid 1/3 open for some seconds.

This will let the water flow outside the trunk. But sometimes you forget that it has rained two hours ago and then - bingo! My trunklid also flies open, it seems a good idea to adjust the springs so that it will not open completely.

Regis, I love Calvin and Hobbes too!

Stefan

I wonder what can be done with the trunk leak ? I have heard these kinds of things many times before but never have had one. I am please to hear that you're happy with our american made car so very far away.

michael :D

mikeal,

as far as I know the real trunk leaks are mostly experienced by 1998 - on cars. I don't know whether the trunk lid of these models is designed similarly to the older ones, splashing lots of water into the trunk upon opening. As long as I leave my trunk closed it is bone dry.

Stefan

Archived