CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Completely and Utterly OFF TOPIC

Marika

I'm in Northern New Jersey and I hold NRA Certified basic pistol classes.

One of the reasons why I'm not making a whole lot of money at this is because I've not been able to find a room to rent at a reasonable rate that would be close enough to a pistol range where I could take my students after the class in order for them to qualify on the range.

A VFW post in a neighboring town is willing to rent me a room for $60 for the day on a Saturday. That's a good price if I can get more than 2 students at a time (I'm allowed up to 4) however, I then have to get the students to travel to Belleville New Jersey in order to do their range qualification. On Saturdays and Sundays, the range closes at 5 pm. This means that if I wanted to get the student to do the class time and the qualification on the same day, I would pretty much have to rush through the class time, then rush down the highway to get to the range by no later than 4 pm. This is not practical for every student. I can also get the students to meet me at the range on Sunday, but a lot of them don't want to make the trip up here to Northern New Jersey twice in one weekend so that becomes a hardship as well.

Ideally, I would like to find a range that also has a room I can rent from them, this way I can teach the students in the class and then just shuffle them into the range when they are ready for their qualification. However, if I can find a room to rent that is near a pistol range, that would work as well.

Most of the students that call me are from Central New Jersey and they don't seem to mind making the trip up to Northern New Jersey for the class, but making them do the trip twice in one weekend is insane.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can handle this? Anyone know of a room I could rent that's near a range or know of a range that could rent me a room on Saturdays. Classes might not be on every Saturday, but when classes are held, it will be on a Saturday.

Thanks all!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I'm in Northern New Jersey and I hold NRA Certified basic pistol classes.

One of the reasons why I'm not making a whole lot of money at this is because I've not been able to find a room to rent at a reasonable rate that would be close enough to a pistol range where I could take my students after the class in order for them to qualify on the range.

A VFW post in a neighboring town is willing to rent me a room for $60 for the day on a Saturday. That's a good price if I can get more than 2 students at a time (I'm allowed up to 4) however, I then have to get the students to travel to Belleville New Jersey in order to do their range qualification. On Saturdays and Sundays, the range closes at 5 pm. This means that if I wanted to get the student to do the class time and the qualification on the same day, I would pretty much have to rush through the class time, then rush down the highway to get to the range by no later than 4 pm. This is not practical for every student. I can also get the students to meet me at the range on Sunday, but a lot of them don't want to make the trip up here to Northern New Jersey twice in one weekend so that becomes a hardship as well.

Ideally, I would like to find a range that also has a room I can rent from them, this way I can teach the students in the class and then just shuffle them into the range when they are ready for their qualification. However, if I can find a room to rent that is near a pistol range, that would work as well.

Most of the students that call me are from Central New Jersey and they don't seem to mind making the trip up to Northern New Jersey for the class, but making them do the trip twice in one weekend is insane.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can handle this? Anyone know of a room I could rent that's near a range or know of a range that could rent me a room on Saturdays. Classes might not be on every Saturday, but when classes are held, it will be on a Saturday.

Thanks all!!

Can't you make arrangements with a local inexpensive motel?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Students have to bring their guns, but no ammunition, into the classroom. Just imagine the police watching a motel for "illegal activity" and seeing people going into a motel room carrying gun cases. OHHHHHHH...I can see the headlines now... :lol::lol::blink:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I teach the NRA certified basic pistol course. This includes learning the names for the parts of a semi-automatic and revolver, taking the gun apart, cleaning it, putting it back together, loading, unloading, proper hold, aim, and trigger squeeze. Safe handling and storage of the gun including where to point the gun and how to carry it. The course also includes a discussion on ammunition and learning how to store and use the proper ammunition for your type of gun. There is a written test and a range qualification. The official runtime for the course is 10 hours including 1 hour on the range but 99% of students can complete the course in about 7 hours or less.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/fi...NJ&Type=BPistol

Currently, I train people in their homes but this can be a hassle for the person and for myself for various reasons in addition to the fact that it limits me to one student instead of up to four. Most of the students I get are applying for their concealed weapons permit so they need the NRA course in order to get the CWP but a lot of them are also first time shooters.

Have you looked at local gun shops to see if any have a back room or area that would be appropriate?

Seems like a win-win situation for them.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I've checked with a few gun stores in the area but most of them have their own in-house instructors and they don't want outside competition coming in to take away business from their instructors.

The one range I use in Belleville does not mind my bringing students there to use the range but they close at 5 pm which makes it difficult to reach them in time if a student wants to do their qualification on the same day as their class time.

I recently checked with a town that has a police range which also has a classroom in the same building. The borough manager explained to me that since they renovated the range because of OSHA requirements, it's become too expensive for the town to run the range for their own police department so they are now trying to rent out the range to other police departments. It would not be profitable for them to rent the range to me for a day if my only student count might be anywhere from 1 to 4. I've not contacted other police departments yet but it's something I'm going to continue to do into the future but I don't think I'll be very successful in this area.

N.J. Has CWP?

Under certain circumstances, yes, but it's very tough to get a CWP in New Jersey.

Most of the students I get live in New Jersey but also own secondary homes in FLORIDA or other states and apply for their CWP in Florida or in the states where they own their secondary homes. Certification from the NRA is accepted nationally so a certiicate acquired in New Jersey is good in Florida or any other state in the USA.

Marika,

If I lived closer I'd attend one of your courses with my youngsters. I have quite a bit of experience handling firearms but I feel it would be better in some respects for another expert to teach them.

Good luck!

Jim

Ranger Posted Today, 06:57 PM

As long a Mayor Daley is running the state, uh I mean city, of Chicago, we'll never see CWP in Ill.

Ranger,

From what I've been reading ... I'd say you had it right the first time. It's ironic that here on the west coast the large metropolitian areas can out vote the rest of the state.

Jim

Come to West Virginia and you could just go out in the back yard. :blink::):D:lol:

My wife has a cousin who is certified to teach this, so I realize how difficult it is to work some details out in order to accomodate some people. I wish you good luck.

THE MORE PEOPLE YOU HAVE, THE MORE RULES AND REGULATIONS YOU`LL FIND. I HAVE A CWP IN THE STATE OF WASHINGTON AND MY PERMITT IS HONORED IN THE STATE OF IDAHO. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. THE FAMOUS "GUN SHOWS" THEY WANT TO DO AWAY WITH ON THE NATIONAL NEW PROGRAMS ARE DOING JUST FINE OUT HERE. IN WASHINGTON THEY ARE ALITTLE MORE GUARDED THAN IN LESS POPULATED IDAHO. HERE , THEY WON`T LET YOU TAKE A WEAPON, DISASEMBLED OR NOT INTO THE SHOW TO CHECK TO SEE IF PARTS WILL FIT OR NOT. IN IDAHO, WHO THE HELL CARES. YOU CAN TAKE A FULLY ASSEMBLED WEAPON ON YOUR PERSON IN THE SHOW , NO PROBLEMS. YOU CAN FINE AMAZING STUFF FOR SALE AT THE GUN SHOWS IN IDAHO. IT`S PRETTY COOL. FULL RANGE OF 50 cal. AMMO, 50 cal. RIFLES, AR 15 PARTS, SCOPES, ETC. AMERICA... YOU GOTTA LOVE IT.

THE MORE PEOPLE YOU HAVE, THE MORE RULES AND REGULATIONS YOU`LL FIND. I HAVE A CWP IN THE STATE OF WASHINGTON AND MY PERMITT IS HONORED IN THE STATE OF IDAHO. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. THE FAMOUS "GUN SHOWS" THEY WANT TO DO AWAY WITH ON THE NATIONAL NEW PROGRAMS ARE DOING JUST FINE OUT HERE. IN WASHINGTON THEY ARE ALITTLE MORE GUARDED THAN IN LESS POPULATED IDAHO. HERE , THEY WON`T LET YOU TAKE A WEAPON, DISASEMBLED OR NOT INTO THE SHOW TO CHECK TO SEE IF PARTS WILL FIT OR NOT. IN IDAHO, WHO THE HELL CARES. YOU CAN TAKE A FULLY ASSEMBLED WEAPON ON YOUR PERSON IN THE SHOW , NO PROBLEMS. YOU CAN FINE AMAZING STUFF FOR SALE AT THE GUN SHOWS IN IDAHO. IT`S PRETTY COOL. FULL RANGE OF 50 cal. AMMO, 50 cal. RIFLES, AR 15 PARTS, SCOPES, ETC. AMERICA... YOU GOTTA LOVE IT.

A lot of states are beginning to cross-honor each others CWP's. Mostly the progressive southern states, historically known to be more firearms friendly, are involved in the cross-honoring of each others CWP.

Archived