CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Plugs & Wires

ted tcb

I'm picking up my FPR and Delco plugs this week, and changing them.

My only drivability issue is random tough hot starts if I use less than 94 octane gas.

The car idles fine, never misses a beat.

I haven't picked up wires ... no arcing present, and the wires were expensive, about $140 cdn.

Is there any necessity to changing the wires?

My STS is a 99 with 107000 miles, and I'm only changing the plugs as cheap insurance.

By the way, its too darn cold up here for shade tree mechanics, so I'm using a friend who's

a mechanic this time. See attached pic for winter in central Ontario.

Guess which of these machines gets out most often these days?

post-1542-1140371994.jpg

post-1542-1140372266.jpg

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Thanks, Paul.

I wasn't very clear ... I've purchased the plugs and FPR, which I'm replacing both.

My question is, am I foolish not to also replace the wires?

I only drive about 5k per year with the STS, and the wires are kind of pricey.

Thanks in advance.

post-1542-1140372336.jpg

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

If the engine runs smooth and you do not have engine misses under acceleration, the spark plug wires are likely still OK.

The most likely reason for hard hot/warm starts is excessive fuel, i.e., the FPR. After the spark plugs and FPR are replaced, the hard starting problem should be eliminated.

I would recommend replacing the wires when you can, in the near future, they are due.

Wires in the 100k mile club typically start to leak, while this usually does not cause hard starting, you will normally first notice missing under acceleration, as the wires further weaken you will feel the engine miss while idling. In wet/humid weather it will be more noticeable.

As always check all of your battery connections, they need to clean, bright metal contacts, and tight.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I would agree. If it ain't brole, don't fix it. That said, wires that old may develope a mis after disturbing them. That is why so many, including myself had a misfire after the fuel rail recall. Handle them gingerly, but be prepared.

I replaced the plugs in my '96 about a year and a half ago due to misfiring on acceleration. I did not replace the wires and to this day, the car still runs fine. I even had the fuel recall done and the wires survived. That said, as long as your car is not exhibiting any drivability issues, I'd hold off on the wire replacement for now.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

To echo what the others said, you probably don't need wires now, but you MAY find that you'll need them after handling them during the spark plug job. Personally, I'd put new wires on it at the same time, because you are at the stage where they're starting to wear. My wires were fine at 130-some thousand miles when I had the fuel rail recall done, but the car was missing after that. The little amount of handling that was required during the recall procedure must have damaged one of the wires internally. A new set and all was (and is) well.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 9 months later...

I had problems with my STS 95 Northstar, the engine was missing when idling and acceleration.

I thought it was the FPR, but changed the plugs first....and that was the problem.

After changing the plugs and checking the wires, the engine runs like a dream....no misfires or anything.

So change the plugs first and at the same time check the plugwires.

Roger Martinsen

I only drive about 5k per year with the STS, and the wires are kind of pricey.

Thanks in advance.

You can also buy the wire in a roll and make your own spark plug wires using the original boots. I payed about $40 to make my own set of custom spark plug wires. It's been about 3 years since I made my own wires and so far, they work fine.

Here's what I used:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

IPB Image

You don't need to replace them unless with using a multimeter their resistance is out of spec (15K ohms or something like that) but even awire with good resistance can still have a carbon track, that will need to be replaced.

With my plug/wire change I had to replace just one wire, which you can do threw a GM dealer. Cost me just over 25 US dollars and they ordered it for me.

My sparkplug changing post is here: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...ic=10990&hl

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived