CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HELP Overheating at WOT

JBellELDO

Jon

Check your coil pack as mine has more than 1 connection to it on that end and that connection is close to the pack. Check your ground connection to the block from the battery and make sure it is clean and tight., that also goes for both battery connections. Did the rest of the assembly go ok for you?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You asked a question earlier about the battery cables here is a diagram

post-2998-1136746548.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Make sure that you have the positive cables together with the lead lug that goes between them and that you are making a good connection at both the positive and negative terminals at the battery.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Make sure that you have the positive cables together with the lead lug that goes between them and that you are making a good connection at both the positive and negative terminals at the battery.

Lead lug...i did forget to put that in...heres hopin!

BTW, battery checked out OK at Sears...6amp charger is on it now and the needle is just above 50%.

-Jon

Ok starts, I think the timing is off on the right bank...so I'm gonna check it out, any pointers on how to check and set it while the motor is in the car?

-Jon

Didn't you set the static timing per the service manual as part of the engine reassembly????

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

heres the electrical connector....any ideas? Circled (kinda) in red.

IPB Image

IPB Image

My 94 SLS has an identical connector in that area that was never hooked up.

Look into the connector & check if the connections are bright and clean or show some dirt and surface corrosion. If so, then it wasn't hooked up to begin with.

Apparently it is one of those "mystery" connectors that went to some option that the car wasn't equipped with.

If you do find a "buddy" for that connector, please let me know!

I searched for a "buddy" for mine while I had the engine out and never found one.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Ok starts, I think the timing is off on the right bank...so I'm gonna check it out, any pointers on how to check and set it while the motor is in the car?

-Jon

Didn't you set the static timing per the service manual as part of the engine reassembly????

Yes, but i believe it may be off a tooth or two...It backfires and the right exhaust manifold was bright red when after running for only 10 minutes which leads me to believe that the exhaust valves are somewhat open during combustion. Hmmm, this is going to suck though, I am not at all motivated to do this...wonder what Cadillac would charge to set the timing for me...

-Jon

Can you get the front cover off with the carriage in place to adjust the chains or must the carriage be dropped?

Jon,

Northstar piston to valve clearances are very tight, if the timing is off you will damage the valve train. Hopefully this has not happen. Are you sure you connected the spark plug wires to the right spark plugs? This will also cause backfiring.

ok 100% on the timing....spark plugs were very loose in the right bank....ummmm, not too sure on the spark plug wires, maybe someone with a 94 ECT 4.6 could help me out on the wiring....that'd be nice. BTW, if it is the spark plugs or wires, I'm going to severly haze myself for being a supreme D-bag.

Still curious....why the red hot exhaust manifold, I mean, I could see it glowing....that to me doesnt sound good...but I'm no mechanic.

-Jon

Jon,

The red hot manifold was more than likely caused by a raw fuel air mixture combusting in the manifold caused by chris-crossed spark plug wires or a valve train timing issue. Per your post, you ruled out the timing issue (good) and you mentioned that the spark plugs were loose and the wires maybe crossed. The service manual should tell you what wires go to what spark plug.

I'm mechanically retarded...timing was dead on, wires were as wrong as they could possibly be in the right bank...it runs now. I broke the auxillery engine oil cooler, it idles at 3000+ rpms(unconnected vac hoses), leaks a little oil and coolant (loose hoses), doenst have power stearing(didnt have any fluid to refill it). All I can say is I'm done. I spent my whole Christmas Break working on this thing and Friday I have to go back to my Military Academy, which is basically prison with books, so I'm taking the next few days off to relax, ride my motorcycle if the weather permits and enjoy a little thing called life. I'm letting Cadillac handle the rest of my problems...and it kills me to have someone else do work on MY car, but circumstances leave me no other reasonable option so dropped her off with the people who know her best. I gave them a list of all I want looked at and all I want fixed and nothing more, also I told them to pressurize those rear cylinders at TDC to leak test the headgasket(I'm always a little skeptical the fist time I do something). Truth be told, I have a bad feeling...but lets pray I'm wrong. If the headgasket isn't holding, then the car goes...well, I'm not sure...not with me I guess. And if that be the case, hey I learned a lot right? Not many people can say the even changed their oil on their Cadillac, let alone removed the engine and attempted a headgasket and timesert repair, reinstall the motor and have it run! I'm satisfied with myself...I just hope I can be as satisfied with my car.

Thank you all for your help!

-Jon

Jon,

I have been following this thread because of its interesting writing, high action, subject depth and specific lack of recriminations on all sides. What I mean by that, is that you and the various respondents have really pitched in and not been defeated by negative issues or attitudes. There are times when this forum can bogged down in personalities (and I have probably been one of the boggers at one time or another). :rolleyes:

Frankly, I believe a number of readers remain a bit stunned that you took on this scope of work by yourself in such a limited time. :blink: Can you let us know your prior automobile projects for a comparison?

Certainly, one can reflect on "next time I'll..." or "maybe if I would have..." but there are some very fundamental and important things to be said for getting on with a project before the opportunity is lost. ;)

Regardless of the outcome, congratulations and commendations on your outstanding "get 'er done" attitude and plain-spoken assessment of the situation at this point in time.. You will probably remember this experience (just from the vocabulary enrichment) :o

Thank you (and all the various contributers) for an interesting story so far and please let us know how it turned out. :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I have problem starting something, others have problem finishing... One thing I know for sure - if I ever need to timesert a Northstar I'll do it right in the car.

Take it easy, enjoy the remainder of the vacation.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

And if that be the case, hey I learned a lot right?

-Jon

John, thats the attitude I had after I blew up my transmission :ph34r: .....read this thread..it might make u feel a little better...http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3231&hl=transmission

I came to this forum about 3 years ago, in search of advise: My head gaskets had failed and the dealership was trying to make me purchase a new engine, instead of getting my current one fixed (they said there was no cure..only option was to replace the engine). At that point in my life I had NO KNOWLEDGE what-so-ever about cars.....Literally I knew nothing...I couldn't change the oil if you handed me a case of valvoline and a filter!!

Well back then there was only what...about 100 people on the board!? :lol: Anyway there was this "one guy" who seemed to know literally everything about my car...With his help, and the help of others I was able to get the dealership to fix my gaskets, under warranty.

On the way home from the dealership my fuel pump started giving me problems, within weeks it died. I was then faced with the question "what do I do now?"...For a while pondered taking it in to get it fixed, however it was no longer under warranty. So I asked some more questions on the board...The answers I got mesmerized me....especially the ones from the Guru...his knowledge is what really inspired me to work on cars.

To make a long story short, I successfully fixed the fuel pump, and from then on I vowed to fix everything myself...That is until I blew up the trans.....and yes I contemplated tearing open the 4T80e...but after taking a look at svc manual I concluded this was DEFINITELY not a job for me !!!

Anyway after alot of "man im a fckn idiot-ing" I came to accept that although I had damaged my car, the information and lessons I leaned while doing so became a huge asset. Eventually my mis-fortune allowed me to help others, who had similar solenoid problems...and to this day I don't regret the failed attempt what-so-ever.

Hopefully your Eldo will be fine, but even if she's not, as you said, you've learned alot...Good luck...A.J.

A.J.

Time was you enemy on this job. jhall took months to finish his timesert job (although he rebuilt his engine). You are young so you have lots of energy to tackle this type of Herculean project, it reminds me of when I rebuilt a 66 429 before I went back to college at the end of one summer. (valve job, rings, bearings, carb, etc). Let us know how this works out, Mike

Archived