CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Killed Deers Update

adallak

How many deer or other animals we killed  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How many deer or other animals we killed

• >5

Never hit any deers so far but I hit 5 cows I was on a 2 lane highway traffic comming but ways and 5 cows came out from the ditch on side of the road rite in front of me no time to even hit the brakes it totaled the car this was back in 1969 I had a brand new deville and one of the cows I hit actually flew in the air bounced on the hood scared the hell out of us in the front seat because it looked like it comming through the windhield the cow bounced off the roof caved that in the car was a real mess blood guts meat all over the car.When the state cops came they had to shoot some of the cows I didn't get a ticket due to the farmer had a hole in his fence so the cows got out.We were on a hunting trip in northern michigan and I had to drive the car into a local town to get a rental to get home. You should have seen the crowd that gathered around the car when we pulled into a local bar..Lucky no one was hurt there was uncomming traffic and a 2 lane highway so I could not turn to avoid the cows or it was go into a ditch about 70mph or into a head on with another car so I hit the cows darn that brings back some memories about that when you mentioned deers we were on an deer hunting trip.

Jim

Howyadoin,

My '93 STS ate a raccoon while cruising at 65MPH. I saw it wander into the left lane, about 20-30 feet in front of me. I figured I could try to swerve, and possibly lose control, or just get it between the wheels and try my luck. Well, it took out my air dam and fog lights. I had to stop at a rest area a mile or 2 further on to peel off what was left of the air dam. The raccoon could only have been a smear, judging by the fact that it got hit dead-center by the air dam.

There's a strange, sad aspect to this story. My wife was with me in the car and when we stopped at the rest area, she had to use the restroom. I went with her and waited outside the door for her (this was about 1:00 AM). The next morning, we headed on our driving tour of Nova Scotia, without an air dam, foglights or a front license plate.

Two days later, we're in Baddeck, NS. We're getting ready to hit the road and I was flipping channels on the TV. I found a Boston station, and was shocked to hear that the day after we were at the rest stop, a woman was murdered in the restroom by a serial rapist who was working the night shift in the Burger King attached to the restrooms. The murder occurred almost exactly 24 hours after we were there. I shudder to think what could have happened if I hadn't followed her to the restroom.

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

I hit one poor squirrel. Poor little guy was sitting on a sidewalk minding his own business when some dumb guy spooked him and he went roaring into the street right in front of my car. I was doing close to the speed limit of 25 mph.

ABS stinks when it comes to hitting small animals. ABS doesn't allow the wheels to lock up so when the animal gets hit by the wheel, instead of the animal being pushed away from the car, it's guaranteed to get sucked under the wheel and crushed. That's exactly what happened to the poor little squirrel.

When I hit a cat with my '83 Chevy, I was able to lock my wheels and control the skid so the cat got pushed/knocked out of the way and he was bruised and sore no doubt, but he was ok. Funny too because on the return trip down that same street I saw the cat sitting on the curb of the sidewalk and he was looking into the street, must have been wondering how many lives he spent on that episode. I crawled to a stop and watched him thinking. When he saw the '83 Chevy stopped in the street, he must have recognized the car, he ran away like a dog was after him.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I hit a squirrel not too long ago. No damage to the car but the squirrel was a total loss. Poor little guy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

i live in rural area, so my statistics may be worse just for that reason:

in four years there was one deer, two raccoons, some 7 squirells, no cows... do not care of the car but sorry for the poor animals

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I live in rural Maine and am proud to say I have managed to evade 2 wild turkeys, several squirrels, 3 deer, 1 moose, and thankfully several skunks! This was all possible due to great brakes, a superb handling automobile, and just plain lucky reflexes because I went the right way! The moose did manage to crack the passenger door mirror housing! How something that big can appear from nowhere is truly amazing! Well, so far, so good, (knock on Wood!).

the interesting fact is that i lived in NJ (sussex county) for 1.5 years and did not kill anything. same woods, same animals... perhaps the reason is the lower animal/driver rate, not too many cars here in NE PA.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The closest i actually came to hitting a dear, was when i was driving on a rural road, and the deer almost ran into the side of my car....it was scary enough lol

Up in Mahwah, New Jersey there was a doe who bounced down a hill into the center of a two way road and she stood there frozen. A truck was staring at her from one side, and my car was staring at her from the other direction. She was directly in between us and neither of us were moving.

She wouldn't move, totally frozen in her spot. I literally had to get out of my car and slap her on her rump to get her to move she was so freaked out being trapped between two vehicles. She bolted back up the side of the hill and disappeared. No one was hurt.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I haven't killed any animals with the caddy yet. But i have hit a couple squirrels with my Italjet Dragster 180cc scooter (it weighs less than 200 pounds). They seem to be attracted to the noise of it. They will run out into the middle of the street when i go by. Its hard to dodge them when Im going down my street at 65.

Andrew Morris

Dallas, Texas

1998 Black Eldorado:

full custom Borla exhaust

Custom intake

1500 watt Hifonics amp

3 12inch Boston Acoustic G2 subwoofers

I-pod integrated

18 inch Lexani Krystals with Z-rated tires

E&G classics Billet grill

BMW E36 Angel Eye Headlights

Ported SS heads

I saw a deer as I was twisting through some country roads in Tennessee a few years ago. Luckily, I slammed on the 4 wheel disc antilocks, and came screaching to a halt before my passenger even knew what happened. Finally, the dear jumped into a fence, and then over it, and out of my way. Passenger was scared sh&TL@Ss, I was diggin' that grip action from my hi-perf 18" tires, and the disc brakes though. ;)

A little rabbit changed his mind as he darted out in front of me, and it was the wrong change of mind, as I heard a bone crunching thump. Sorry. :(

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

I saw a deer as I was twisting through some country roads in Tennessee a few years ago. Luckily, I slammed on the 4 wheel disc antilocks, and came screaching to a halt before my passenger even knew what happened. Finally, the dear jumped into a fence, and then over it, and out of my way. Passenger was scared sh&TL@Ss, I was diggin' that grip action from my hi-perf 18" tires, and the disc brakes though. ;)

A little rabbit changed his mind as he darted out in front of me, and it was the wrong change of mind, as I heard a bone crunching thump. Sorry. :(

That's the major problem when dealing with animals, some of them just dart so fast out in front of your car, no matter what you drive, you can't stop in time and you hit the poor little ones. :(

Keep in mind that in this part of Nevada, only the towns and interstate are fenced in. The cattle roam about everywhare else, 'cause they really do own it!

No moo-cows yet, but contine to nail these crazy "suicide birds" that flutter up from the road edge. I figure this is just "Darwinisum" sorting out the flock.

On the positive side, they tend to keep the dust down on gravel roads.

relax, just kidding...

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Luckily, I have not hit any deer yet. I came about 2 feet from hitting one at 65 MPH in late 1997 on the second day of owning my brand new 1998 Malibu.

I have hit a Roadrunner, a Rattlesnake, a Possum, a Rabbit, several birds, and a Skunk.

The skunk was actually killed by the car directly in front of me. It was however in one piece until I hit it. I hit it with the right tires of an STS I used to have and it splattered all down the right side of the car. I washed it promptly.

To remove skunk odor effectively and safely from anything, including yourself, your car, your pets.....

Tomato juice and lots of it. It will NOT hurt the paint or any parts of the car but you should make sure that you wash it off thoroughly with mildly warm water during the treatments.

(DO NOT USE, V-8 juice which contains tomato juice but is NOT entirely tomato juice).

I learned this from when I worked in an animal hospital and people called up crying about their dogs harassing a skunk and then getting "skunked". (I used to wonder why the owners were never "skunked", they certainly deserved it more than the poor dog.)

• 9 months later...
sorry, the first poll would be incorrect. some people did not kill any deer, so let include their votes as well...

Why does it say I already voted in this poll when I didn't?

OOPS, I guess I did vote. I thought this was a new poll. Sorry, I need to go take my senile medicine now... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::(

When I was younger I was tooling along at about 50 mph when a bird flew infront of the car and went POOF! in a big cloud of feathers. I thought too myself "oh well, that was too bad," and kept going. When I parked the car I walked infront and looked at the grill of my 1970 Olds F85. The grill area was shaped like the nostrels of some mechanical beast and had scooped-up the bird who was sitting there. I picked the bird up and held him in my hand. While I was looking him over he flew off! That bird must of had an interesting ride on the front of my car. It was cool he survived.

Here's a really weird one. Twelve summers ago I ran over what I thought was a tree branch in the road. It was dark with foggy and misty rain. This branch extended almost all the way across my lane. I was going to go around it but there was oncoming traffic and no shoulder so I just ran it over. As I was just about on top of it my passenger said, "Dude- I think you're gonna flatten a snake." To make a long story short: Yes it was a snake. Python about 5 to 6 feet long. We waited about 1 hr. for a Trooper to drive bye. For those of you familiar with New Jersey this happened on Route 539 about half way between Trenton and L.B.I.

Archived