CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mufflers 97 Seville

Hi all. 

This may be a difficult one. Spring is coming soon (we hope) and I will be taking my Caddys out of winter storage.

My Seville is nearly completely oem. I cannot actually think of anything aftermarket on it.

The exhaust is completely original. The mufflers are just starting to rust out at the lowest point. (not loud, just rusty)

If I replace the mufflers I would like to have a little extra tone to show off my NorthStar. 

Not too loud, but just right. Car is mainly highway driven and I like the peace.

Anyone have any ideas of good quality SS mufflers that would fit nicely without major modifications?

My tips would have to be reused I assume as the mufflers are set almost sideways. I have the dual chrome tips on each muffler. 

Thanks all. Happy Motoring

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Hey Rockfangd! I know exactly how you feel, when my previous 2 Eldos started puffing out the rusted holes in the mufflers it really sounded like crap...

I went with the Dynomax Super Turbos, the sport series which were a little shorter and really woke up that Northstar growl at WOT! The nice thing is it a nice subtle, deep rumble at idle but no drone at highway speed. Just a nice balance! Mine weren’t SS, but I believe they make a SS series now. 

I know I posted pics and even a video way back when I did this on the original “Sprucegoose” but would have to search if it’s still there... I bought new SS dual square tips and it looked amazing too!

Good luck on your exhaust upgrade! 

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Is this the thread?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

13 hours ago, sprucegoose said:

Thanks SpruceGoose. I remember you did them. 

I imagine they were just straight muffler and had to be welded to fit the eldo.

I will explore.

Thanks BBF for finding the thread.

I honestly want to know what the difference is between the Eldo and Seville mufflers are. Eldo ones are still available but nothing for the Seville. This has been a issue for a long time with my Seville. Just not a common car lol

GM FAN FOREVER

Yes, I just looked for a model muffler that had inlet and outlets in similar location and with desired diameter pipes. Pretty sure those would still work with the Seville, I remember my 01 SLS being very similar to my Eldos. You just need some short adapter pipes to fit to the existing system and to get the tip position correct. 

Thanks for rounding up that thread BBF! Yes, that was the 2nd Eldo I did that mod to. I had a video of the first one, and I searched for that also.. but it was way back in 2004 I think and is no longer available here. 

I’ve said it before.. I love my CTS but sure miss that snarling Northstar under the hood! That 98 was a sweet ride! 😎

F272B620-A5A2-49CC-B9C3-60D473611910.jpeg

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Here is the 2004 thread 

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

So I guess I will have to wait until I pull the car out of storage. There is one thing that concerns me with the Seville.

The exhaust os so close to the ground compared to the Eldo and Deville. I have actually worried about scraping the back of the mufflers.

Air ride works great, I will be replacing all hangers before use this season though. 

I will try and post a pic of the clearance. 

In comparing the mufflers between the Eldo and the Seville it seems the Seville mufflers are thinner by at least a inch. 

I will compare the ones you used with the originals I currently have and post my results.

I suppose if the length of the new muffler is shorter I could push the body closer toward the back bumper, but I am not looking to make drastic changes

GM FAN FOREVER

Ok so last night I bit the bullet and bought the same mufflers. I am kind of excited. I am sure I can weld them up nice.

I cannot stress enough that the Seville is the lowest to the ground Cadillac I have owned. 

Where did you get the nice chrome tips? I would like to replace them as well.

The oem mufflers are around $500 and I dont much care for them anyway so I guess this is worth a shot.

I will for sure post my progress.

Thank you

GM FAN FOREVER

So I am getting excited. No idea what to expect as I have never modified a NorthStar exhaust.

I bought my 2003 Toyota Tundra last year in need of some exhaust help. I bought everything new from engine back. Completely Oe setup.

Well I was not satisfied. I removed most of the brand new parts and bought a TRD system that has full stainless, cast iron baffles, and 2 beautiful tips that come out left and right behind the rear tires. I had no idea what to expect. It nailed all my expectations and is a factory option. The sound from the exhaust is great, barely legal, and does not drone on long trips

live7myniq-jpg.20879So I am no stranger to changes of exhaust. When I had my ScottsDale I had everything from straight pipes to full tuned systems. Sadly all rust here in NYS

GM FAN FOREVER

Following...........

The only pesky thing is NY plug in "Emission Inspection" and the SES lights!!

Having a issue with a s-10 I bought in Fla. and drove back to NY.

Cat and tank vapor PO codes.

Put a "cheater" on the converter and solved that code! 

Stock rustfree exaust all emission junk in place..

Now to the vapor code................

s-10 8.jpg

Edited by sonjaab

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

You ever have any NY Emiss./SES lights/problems  when you changed/mod the existing exaust?

Edited by sonjaab

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

I have heard this is a possibility in NY myself, but I only think it would be an issue if it were excessively loud ie, glass pack.  My friend has side pipes on an 89 chevy c1500 and we were warned multiple times by parts houses about it, in my opinion his truck is too loud.

13 hours ago, sonjaab said:

You ever have any NY Emiss./SES lights/problems  when you changed/mod the existing exaust?

😶 lol

GM FAN FOREVER

On 3/10/2020 at 8:01 PM, rockfangd said:

Ok so last night I bit the bullet and bought the same mufflers. I am kind of excited. I am sure I can weld them up nice.

I cannot stress enough that the Seville is the lowest to the ground Cadillac I have owned. 

Where did you get the nice chrome tips? I would like to replace them as well.

The oem mufflers are around $500 and I dont much care for them anyway so I guess this is worth a shot.

I will for sure post my progress.

Thank you

Sorry, been away for a while. That’s great to hear!  I’m sure that any qualified exhaust shop will be able to help you fit them up with no problem. 

I had been buying my stainless tips on eBay. Just took a while to sort through all the options, available making sure that you get the correct diameter inlet dia. of course! 

Good luck on your install. Excited to see the results! 👍🏻

6 hours ago, sprucegoose said:

Sorry, been away for a while. That’s great to hear!  I’m sure that any qualified exhaust shop will be able to help you fit them up with no problem. 

I had been buying my stainless tips on eBay. Just took a while to sort through all the options, available making sure that you get the correct diameter inlet dia. of course! 

Good luck on your install. Excited to see the results! 👍🏻

Nobody will touch it but me. I have too many issues lol. 

GM FAN FOREVER

On 3/18/2020 at 8:58 AM, sonjaab said:

Following...........

The only pesky thing is NY plug in "Emission Inspection" and the SES lights!!

Having a issue with a s-10 I bought in Fla. and drove back to NY.

Cat and tank vapor PO codes.

Put a "cheater" on the converter and solved that code! 

Stock rustfree exaust all emission junk in place..

Now to the vapor code................

s-10 8.jpg

Those were great trucks. Cheaters dont exist. It is a repair flange😉.

Evap is likely the vent valve off the canister. 

GM FAN FOREVER

I think these may be the dual SS tips that I ended up buying for my 98 Eldo. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Dual-Exhaust-Tips-2-25-3-5-Cadillac-ETC-DTS-STS-Deville-Eldorado-NEW/271474331346?fits=Year%3A2003|Model%3ASeville|Submodel%3ASLS|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A4.6L|Make%3ACadillac|Trim%3ASLS+Sedan+4-Door|Engine%3A4.6L+281Cu.+In.+V8+GAS+DOHC+Naturally+Aspirated&hash=item3f35218ed2:g:A-MAAOSwCzJdXaCN

I really liked the ones that I bought for my 93, but I remember that company had gone out of business. They were more of a rectangular shaped dual tip, and the inner wall had a perforated look to it. 

Roc........Not sure what he used to defeat the cat codes.  

He called it a "cheater".

Whatever .......it passed the NY emission plug in.

But now it has a 449? code popped up afterwards.

Gotta check all the lines and the 2 "valves" to see if they are working.

I was figuring the rubber hoses may be rotted off or gone just like the rubber 4wd vac. hoses were also.

3 huge skidplates to remove to get at anything under there and inspect again.

There is a good vid on u-tube to test the valves operation.

SES lights dont bug me anyhoo as the gauges tell the story and nice new stickers on the windsheild to

keep officer friendly at bay!

Rust free, cold a/c and runs great for $2000 bucks.

Edited by sonjaab

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

So today I started on the exhaust and There are a few things that are going to be a benefit here.

Currently my ground clearance is 4.5" from lowest part of the car (exhaust) to the ground. That is at normal level ride height.

Also the tailpipe side of the left muffler was crunched. Like 9 out of 10 of this era. I am pretty certain I did it last year backing into a parking space(we all have our days).

With the new mufflers I expect the ground clearance to be at minimum 5.5". As the mufflers will be farther back by 2"

The mufflers are also shorter than the originals. So they will tuck better behind the bumper rather than hanging so low. They will also be farther from the back of the car as the length is shorter.

I have to pick up a few pipe adapters before I can weld them up. But  I am very optimistic. 

In the pics you can see the rust developing on the mufflers and the crunch. Overall excellent for a 23yr old NY vehicle

0327201630_Burst01.jpg

0327201631.jpg

0327201704.jpg

0327201709_HDR.jpg

0327201709a_HDR.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Cool! 👌🏻 Out with the old, in with the new!  That’s good news on all accounts I’d say! 😁

I think you’re going to really like the sound and look when all is complete. Did you find new tips yet or going to salvage the old? Those are a little more restrictive if I remember right. 

I was going to buy new tips but unfortunately with the pandemic all of my spending is done 😥. The longer it goes the worse it will be

I cannot even put my Deville back on the road as the DMV is closed until further notice. 

I am going to polish up the originals the best I can and use them. If I really don't like them I can try something else next year possibly

GM FAN FOREVER

Yup, I hear you there. These are sad, decision changing times right now on so many levels...

Good luck with the rest of the project, & enjoy that N🌟 roar! 😁

Well today I got one side done. 

I hope by this weekend to have the project complete. 

So very picky. I hand buffed and polished the tips. The tips have to be perfectly centered.

It seems I may have gained about 3/4" ground clearance, and they tuck much nicer underneath then the old ones.

I think I am going to drill drain holes at the front of the mufflers like the originals though as I am afraid condensation will stay inside and rot the mufflers.

I have not started it yet so I have no idea what it will sound like. 

0402201601.jpg

0402201601_HDR.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER