CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

shooting a rod to the floor at gas station

DTS_driver

At the bottom of a NEW POST or REPLY you will see ATTACHMENTS and BROWSE, click BROWSE and navigate to where the picture is on your hard drive. Observe the max photo size, it the photo is too big it will not post. Mike

post-3-1113354831_thumb.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth:

I rented a truck years ago that threw a rod at a steady state 45 MPH. The rebuilt engine had, maybe, 300 miles on it. Speculation was that the rod bolts weren't properly torqued. The rental company gave us another truck and I never did find out the whole story.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

bbobynski can this problem happen 11,000 miles after the work has been done? with no sign at all? Both caddy dealers claim there is no link to the work done and to what happen. they said that just to save there asses. I asked them how often does a Northstar engine push a rod, then they come back with how many times does a space shuttle blow up. The area rep. for GM around here told the service manager that GM will pick up half the price which leaves me with $4800 plus tax, for a "certified engine" 3year 36,000 warranty. $5000 is still alot for me, can I take this problem to a small claims court or something? I can e-mail the photos to someone if they are willing to post them, if I can a E-mail address I would appreciate it.

bbobynski can this problem happen 11,000 miles after the work has been done? with no sign at all? Both caddy dealers claim there is no link to the work done and to what happen. they said that just to save there asses. I asked them how often does a Northstar engine push a rod, then they come back with how many times does a space shuttle blow up. The area rep. for GM around here told the service manager that GM will pick up half the price which leaves me with $4800 plus tax, for a "certified engine" 3year 36,000 warranty. $5000 is still alot for me, can I take this problem to a small claims court or something? I can e-mail the photos to someone if they are willing to post them, if I can a E-mail address I would appreciate it.

Of course the dealer will say there is no connection between the work they did and the engine failure....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Why do they have the oil filter and oil filter adaptor laying out, further inspection to see if anything was circulated?

And what is the golden brown deposit in the crank area? Are there any photos of the caps from those pistons, I would go back and look for them and take photos.

These pix are giving me second thoughts on getting some new rings & pistons I guess if it ain't broke leave it alone applies...Maybe I'll try some heavy weight oil any thoughts???20w50

Jim

What is wrong, are you getting high oil consumption? I don't think 20W50 is recommended for this engine, its much too heavy. I wouldn't let this experience disuade you from getting your engine repaired if its burning oil excessively. Its possible that this problem was caused by a cracked piston that was impossible to pick up. It looks like this problem was caused by the piston that is cracked near the pin, and the rod on the other piston cracked as a result. I can't wait to see what Guru thinks..

Hi Scotty

Yes I burn a 1qt. every 625 miles..and I notice black soot deposits on the inside tail pipe tips What is odd I seen another 01 that is burning 1qt every 1000mi and it did not have any black deposits on the tailpipes Go figure

On DTSdrivers car it's possible the cap bolts let go and it jammed it all up it appears more that one piston os gone I see 2 or the piston or rod it self but this is all second quessing until you can really look at the parts up close then do an EDJEWMACATED guess!!!

Jim

We had someone else here Bigfoo I think was using oil also, and during the discussion I think Ian said the rings can get clogged with carbon. I have not seen Ian for quite some time, he is a Caddy mechanic. That sure does seem like a lot of oil to be using. Have you tried Guru's WOT technique? I think its 5 in a row from, 20 to 70 MPH in second gear, I am sure you have tried this... Wait till Guru diagnoses this before you panic about considering new pistons...

These pix are giving me second thoughts on getting some new rings & pistons I guess if it ain't broke leave it alone applies...Maybe I'll try some heavy weight oil any thoughts???20w50

Jim

I hear ya Jim. It would make me think twice also. I think Guru recommends Rotella or Delo 15w40 for the 4.9. Maybe you can use that in the Northstar as well.

Hi Scotty

I have done plenty of WOT in 2nd gear on time I did about 30 in a row slowed down to 40 took it to redline let it engine bank back down to 40 and did it again.No Luck Also I have driven it hard with plenty of WOT's no luck

From what I was told if you have the cold knock and oil comsumption WOT's do not do anything even the deep carbon cleaning does not do the trick from what I was told the fix is new rings and pistons WHo knows for sure??? I have never changed the oil it has always been done at the dealer and since it's been on the oil consumption program I go back every 1000mi and they add 2qts.. So maybe I will try to put the correct oil in it and see if it helps. I'm sure the dealer uses valvoline 10w40 Maybe I'll try some heavier weight Qstate or mobil1 something like that or try a synthetics which I never used before..

Jim

I've seen posts on the other site that some folks have had luck reducing oil consumption by running Pennzoil.  Might be worth a try.  Anyone here running it?  I'm a Valvoline man myself....

I'm using Pennzoil High Mileage on both vehicles, even though the van only has 40-some thousand miles. There was a SLIGHT drip from somewhere on the van engine (like, a spot on the floor once a WEEK), and that's stopped. It also seems to keep the Cadillac's oil pan relatively dry.

I used to be a Valvoline fan until I started reading up at bobistheoilguy.com. Turns out, despite their racing involvement, Valvoline oils have about the worst additive package available (according to the opinions of the long-timers at bobistheoilguy.com). My Nissan truck seemed to clatter more on Valvoline oil, and they said it was because Valvoline didn't have any moly in it. I've since switched to Pennzoil HM, and I'm very happy with it. It quieted the truck down a WHOLE lot. I used to be an "oil is oil" kind of guy -- I would never have believed a brand change would have much such a difference until I saw it myself. No difference in the Dodge or the Caddy, except to say it's really dried up any leaks there were.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks JIMDTS, by the way can you please post a pic of the car. bbobynski the car is at the cadillac dealer along with the engine. I will try to head out to the dealer tomorrow to check out the cylinder bores to see if there are any scratches. Before the engine was torn down the service manager told me that we are hopeing its a wrist pin that came loose or a ring cause GM might cover more of the cost if thats the cause of failure. Im not even quite sure why this engine pushed a rod like that but I really need to find out, I honestly think this problem has something to do with the previous work done to it. I just need to prove that but I dont know how, whos gunna beleve me anyway im only 19, I had a 1994 Concours that i purchased from the same dealer, i drove that one pretty hard and never had a problem with the engine, I traded that in and bought the 00' DTS from the same dealer and 6 months down the road the engine pushes a rod and i really havent drivin this car hard at all, I regret not purchasing the extended-warrenty when I was offered.

Hang in there man, forget that you are 19, go in with all the facts and information you can bring! Take some more photos, post them here let the guru's here educate you and go back ARMED! Mike

Act very nice when you go back! Don't act like you are trying to pin them. Tell them your friend who is a mechanic wants to see the photos to see if he can fix it! Remember Columbo? Act stupid you will get a lot more information.....

Archived