CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Is this worth it???????

Aliright guys this could be it my chance to get a 1999 Cadillac STS wanted one since last year now I think I have the right price what do you guys think?

It's black on black with 68,000 miles on it beutiful exterior and interior both in mint condition. Every option that they come with heated seats sun roof, everything and I just got him down to 11,500 he said he can't do any better. 4 months ago he was asking 14,500 so I can't complain what do you guys think pics below.

post-3-1104881237.jpg

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I just paid $19,500 for my 2002 SLS, with 50,000 miles. So, the '99 STS, for $11,500, hell yes. If you don't buy it, I might. That is a beautiful car. I would have loved to get a black/black Seville. Go for it.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

In March of '05 I paid $15,800 for my '01 with 67k, so $11,500 is a excellent price in my opinion for that vehicle, especially if a '99 is what you want. I would not of paid $14k.

Go for it....

ByStorm

I'd buy it for that. Make sure the coolant has been changed or have it changed soon, 5 years is the limit with Dexcool. BTW make sure there is Dexcool in it. Also make sure the heated seats all work. I looked at a 2003 Black w/shale (which sucked) and the drivers seat heater didn't work. It also had a wet trunk and the shakes at 68 - 76 mph! Now we're talking $30,000 here at a "reputable" dealer, and they look identical to the '99. My '99 rides better too. I also like the massage seats on my '99. If it has "every option" it might not have the massage seats, but the Adaptive Seats, which sense pressure points and adjust something like 10 air bags to compensate.

Nice looking STS!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

One question though, are you sure this is an STS? My '99 has no wood inserts in the steering wheel and the leather covered shifter knob. Though the Black '03 I looked at had the wood inserts and the wood shifter. Maybe it's part of the "Black package" if there is such a thing.

So what are you going to do with your 94 STS. Are you going to sell or use it as a second car. :)

I am planning on delling her. I want to get a truck as a second car.

user posted image

I'd buy it for that. Make sure the coolant has been changed or have it changed soon, 5 years is the limit with Dexcool. BTW make sure there is Dexcool in it. Also make sure the heated seats all work. I looked at a 2003 Black w/shale (which sucked) and the drivers seat heater didn't work. It also had a wet trunk and the shakes at 68 - 76 mph! Now we're talking $30,000 here at a "reputable" dealer, and they look identical to the '99. My '99 rides better too. I also like the massage seats on my '99. If it has "every option" it might not have the massage seats, but the Adaptive Seats, which sense pressure points and adjust something like 10 air bags to compensate.

Nice looking STS!

Yes it does have the massage seats. lol

user posted image

One question though, are you sure this is an STS? My '99 has no wood inserts in the steering wheel and the leather covered shifter knob. Though the Black '03 I looked at had the wood inserts and the wood shifter. Maybe it's part of the "Black package" if there is such a thing.

I thought that the STS's had the wood grain steering wheel and shifter knob but the SLS's had the leather on the stearing wheel and shifter knob??!!!!!!!!!!!

user posted image

Nice looking ride. It appears that "wet" trunks is common with this body style. In addition to coolant I'd make sure that light bar (eye level brake light) in the back works. I bet there a little spendy and I don't know of anyone who repairs the 98-04 models.

Jim

Well I might be takeing it for a test drive tomorrow how can I tell if the trunk leaks? I guess I could take it to the pressure washer and spray it off to find out. LOL

user posted image

JimD Posted on Jan 4 2005, 07:31 PM

Pull the spare tire. If you see water, you have your answer; if you see condensation, be suspicious.

and/or rust/pitting on the spare tire hold down equipment.

As far as wood steering wheels and shifter knobs, I don't know if this is STD on a STS or not. I know for sure, it isn't on a SLS.

Jim

Well I might be takeing it for a test drive tomorrow how can I tell if the trunk leaks? I guess I could take it to the pressure washer and spray it off to find out. LOL Well I might be takeing it for a test drive tomorrow how can I tell if the trunk leaks? I guess I could take it to the pressure washer and spray it off to find out. LOL

In some cases the trunk will get wet only if you drive in the rain.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

cadillac_caddy_sts Posted on Jan 4 2005, 07:22 PM

Well I might be takeing it for a test drive tomorrow how can I tell if the trunk leaks? I guess I could take it to the pressure washer and spray it off to find out. LOL 

There is a couple of ways to take a look.

1. Is to put a 10 to 12 year old, small size adult (or your significant other , LOL, LOL, LOL) in the trunk and close it and have them take a look for leaks. (Aren't kids great)

2. Using the same size/age adult and instaed of using water, hand them a can of compressed air. Outside you shut the trunk a sprinkle baby/talcum powder around the edges and have the occupient inside the trunk blow air around the trunk seal and look form a burst of air.

Also, you can check the archives and maybe someone could tell where the leaks have actually occured and direct your efforts there.

Additionally, the Seville has a trunk style that when it is wet it tends to drip water on the inside.

Jim

I was lucky in a way, since it had been raining here for several days when I looked at the car. One thing in your favor (sorta) is that they don't dry out very quickly. I found the water in both cars UNDER the spare tire. If you have to, remove the spare and check the padding for dampness or odor. In most cases, you can just stick your fingers down alongside the spare and feel if its wet. I don't know how long it takes for the water to migrate down to that point, so any immediate tests, such as with a water hose, would probably be inconclusive.

I have the same blk on blk '99 STS (w/28500 miles) and love it has been/is a fine ride.

Regarding the shifter/steering wheel, looked at my original paper work and the wood comes with option "N30 Wood Trim Package" $595.00 msrp.

A few months back I did the 30K service, mainly because of the Dexcool/5 yrs. thing, my only complaint is the tires (still original) won't balance perfectly, 70 mph range, am planning to replace them all this spring at 30K , hope for/expect a perfectly sooth rire then. Never had a wet trunk .

By the way it KILLS me to see these car's devalued to 11,500 !!!

I'm a little confused. If you've been wanting a 99sts and he's offering to sell for $11,500 then I don't see what the hubbub is over. If he kept the exterior and the interior in that great of shape then chances are high that he kept up on the service as well. Might it come with some minor issues that the owner or dealer can't seem to fix? Possibly and that would certainly explain the asking price. Check the DIC for codes and then you'll have a better idea of what you're getting. For 11,500 I'll take a leaky trunk and coolant that's nearly "expired" any day. If the DIC reads clean or fairly clean then it's really a no brainer.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

For 11,500 I'll take a leaky trunk and coolant that's nearly "expired" any day.  If the DIC reads clean or fairly clean then it's really a no brainer.

And if you consider the car "might be" on Prince Edward Island and therefore the $11,500 would be Canadian dollars!!

That converts to approximately $9,000 - $9,500 US currency depending on market fluctuations.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

For a 1999 with 28000 miles this car is between 6 and 7 years old. I would think one of two things.

1. The car has been sitting a lot, and/or

2. It has more run time on the engine and drive train than the odometer indicates, meaning a lot of idle time due to slow/congested traffic.

As some one mentioned, changing the anti freeze/dexcool is a good idea. While you're doing this, take a good look at the hoses and serpitine belts (don't forget the one that drives the water pump).

I would also take a good hard look at the battery. If it's the original deal, it is probably on it's down hill side.

As someone else said, for the asking price, and if you really like the car, this is a no brainer. I'd take these problems including a leaky trunk anyday.

As far as how fast they devalue, if you're like me and drive used cars, I like it. I picked up my 2001 STS in June of 2003 for 26,000. It has every option (I beleive) except the fake soft top and the gold trim). It was a GM lease return with 35000 miles. Then again, the market was real soft back then.

YOu may want to consider an aftermarket warrenty as repairs can get pricey.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jim

Jim

For 11,500 I'll take a leaky trunk and coolant that's nearly "expired" any day.  If the DIC reads clean or fairly clean then it's really a no brainer.

And if you consider the car "might be" on Prince Edward Island and therefore the $11,500 would be Canadian dollars!!

That converts to approximately $9,000 - $9,500 US currency depending on market fluctuations.

No it's 11,500 American the guy selling is from Boston. He's a reletive of myn visiting here.

user posted image

Archived