CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Eldo -90 4,5. Got a strange problem. Engine adapts to any speed and keeps the speed (on flat road) if take my foot of the accelerator. Must use brake to reduce speed. It then adapts to the "new" speed and keeps it. This has nothing to do with cruise control (CC off). It is based only on revs - not speed. If I use CC it will keep the speed on flat road or uphill but no brake downhill so car just speeds away........

At start the engine revs up but soon gets to normal idle at 650-725 rpm.

If I brake to full stop idle gets normal.

What is this? No codes that gives a clue!

If on this same flat road, and say an even 50 mph (or whatever), and then you 'pop' the tranny into neutral, what happens to the rpms (then)? I would start with cleaning the throttle body; maybe carbon slowing the return to idle position. On a flat road with low requirement for engine torque it would take relatively low power to maintain an elevated rpm thus appearing to match engine speed to vehicle speed. Just a guess (and I would look for vacuum leaks as well).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Possibly, the idle speed control motor acting up?

I was thinking the same. Fairly common failure item IIRC.

Definately check the throttle body though. Carbon slows the movement and can hold it open/closed

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Just what is "Throttle body cleaner"? I have only seen it mentioned here but never in Sweden.

It is similar to carburetor cleaner, which is too harsh and can harm intakes that have a coating (for enhanced airflow), sensors and seals. Whatever you use, make sure it says it is safe for intakes.

Chuck

TPS and ISC retracted and extended adjustments are a chore on these cars. If the ISC arm is adjusted too far out it will give you a run on condition. Plus, after all the fun of setting up the ISC, TPS and cleaning the TB, you get do do an idle learn.

Adjusting the ISC is straightforward - there is a procedure in the archives. The ISC adjustment does not drift or get out of adjustment. If the ISC si ratcheting, it is most likely the closed throttle switch contacts in the ISC assembly.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Disassemble? Clean out the egr tubes on the bottom of the intake and throttle blades in the bores of the throttle body.

Depending on severity, Yes, because it is un-metered air (and can/will cause a lean condition); fix it and see if it helps.

Chuck

Archived