CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Driver Side Mirror Glass

Rich

The driver side view mirror on my 1997 Eldorado seems to have gone bad. The mirror is both heated and has an auto dim feature. The heat function still works fine but I believe the auto dim function has failed, or is failing. On cold days the mirror is fogged, but clears if I turn on the electric heat. Unfortunately, it re fogs up immediately when the heat is turned off. I understand the electrochromic function operates with some kind of liquid in the glass, which has apparently ruptured and caused the permanent fogging. Well, the dealer wants $500 just for the replacement glass. Crazy! Anyway, I just bought a used one on ebay for $60 (free shipping). My question is, how do I replace the glass? Does the existing glass just pop out with a flat head screwdriver and is the replacement item just snapped back in after connecting the wires for the heating element? Has anyone ever had to replace theirs? I'm terrified at the thought of breaking something like the housing and/or glass and then being at the mercy of the dealer for the potential $1,000 repair bill. Any tips would be appreciated.

The glass mirror stays with the mirror backing plate. The mirror backing plate can be removed from the mirror housing.

From the service manual..

Remove the mirror and the plastic backing plate (6).
Pull the assembly out of the mirror housing (3).

Remove the jack screws (1) snapped into the mirror head backing.
Installation Procedure

Snap the jack screws (1) into the new mirror backing plate (2).
Align the jack screws (1) into the power drive unit (4).
Push the mirror assembly in close to the power drive unit (4).

Align the swivel (6) on the power drive unit (4) to the pivot points in the mirror backing plate.
Push in the backing plate until a click is heard.

post-2-0-70514600-1425060052_thumb.jpg

The replacement item I purchased on ebay (used OEM) includes the plastic backing plate. I won't have it in hand for more than a week as I just purchased it today. The instructions above say to remove the mirror and plastic backing plate. How is it removed exactly? Do I pry it out with a flat head screwdriver? Might that not crack the mirror housing against which I would be prying? Is there some specific tool for the application? And the instructions don't say anything about the wires for the heating function which I imagine simply unplug and plug back in.

Relooking at the manual....there is more info for the dimming mirror...no special tool needed.

Remove the mirror and the plastic backing plate by pulling the assembly out of the mirror housing (2).
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Remove the actuator shafts (3) snapped into the mirror head backing.
Installation Procedure

Snap the actuator shafts into the power drive unit.
Connect the electrical connectors.
Rotate the actuator shafts (3) in order to align the ears with the corresponding slots in the back side of the mirror face.
Align the swivel (4) on the power drive unit (5) to the pivot points on the mirror backing plate.
Using the block, perform the following steps:
5.1. Push in the block until a snap is heard.

5.2. Tilt the mirror toward the upper actuator shaft (3).

5.3. Apply pressure on the block until the ratchet sound stops.

5.4. Tilt the mirror toward the outside actuator shaft (3).

5.5. Apply pressure on the block until the ratchet sound stops.

Cycle the mirror for proper operation. If the system is not operating properly, inspect the actuator shaft alignments.

post-2-0-56247600-1425068396_thumb.jpg

I can see myself screwing this up in my driveway and throwing a fit. I called my dealer and asked if they would be wiling to install my used part. They said they would for about $65, but I would have to waive liability if they broke something. The service writer was fairly confident that there wouldn't be a problem, but he did say that he has seen these mirrors break upon removal or installation. Rarely, but it has happened. He said the techs are always nervous when they're replacing these. I'm thinking that these guys have experience having done this procedure whereas I've never done it and if there is some kind of "technique" involved, they might be more inclined to get it right than I. I'll need to think this through while awaiting delivery of the mirror. Thanks Logan.

Forget the dealer's service department.

Take it to the dealer's body shop manager. Those folks deal with mirror glass all day every day.

Or you could do it yourself; it's not as difficult as it sounds.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Everything at my dealer goes through the service writers. Honestly, I've never seen a body shop manager or body shop there. Customers are all funneled to the service department and directed to the service writers.

65 to pop on a mirror. wow.

The key is to apply even pressure across the mirror so that it clicks evenly into place. I have done numerous and have not broken one yet.

The hardest part is lining up the screws on the back into the motors.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I don't think it's a difficult procedure but one that requires some technique in both the removal of the old glass without damaging the housing and associated components, and the installation of the new glass without shattering it. The dealer techs will have had experience in doing this which I have not. It's a gamble either way as not only might I break something if I attempted the repair myself, but so might the dealer personnel for whom I will be waiving liability. I wish I had more confidence in my ability but unfortunately I don't.

I don't think it's a difficult procedure but one that requires some technique in both the removal of the old glass without damaging the housing and associated components, and the installation of the new glass without shattering it. The dealer techs will have had experience in doing this which I have not. It's a gamble either way as not only might I break something if I attempted the repair myself, but so might the dealer personnel for whom I will be waiving liability. I wish I had more confidence in my ability but unfortunately I don't.

You can do it...

Even if you make a mistake and break it, for what the dealer is charging for installation, you can buy another one...

And since you would now know what NOT to do... it should be fairly easy...:)

And you would have the satisfaction of doing it without the dealers help..

Posted Image

Jim, you make a very valid point and have me reconsidering my options. But my concern is not only in damaging the mirror, which I understand I could replace for the cost of the dealer installation gone bad, but damage to the housing, or the backing plate and electric pivot assembly, or some other associated hardware. But you do have me thinking though. And I greatly appreciate your confidence in my ability which is clearly greater than that which I have in myself. Pondering...

The only thing I would add...

The old glass should come out easier then shown in the video.

Use a block of wood to push the new glass in. The auto dimming mirrors have a fluid layer inside....so the block of wood spreads the load across the glass.

Fortunately, a friend of mine (big Cadillac fan) has been using a particular body shop for years and has developed a good relationship there. He was there today and mentioned my mirror issue and they told him that they've done many. They said I can just drive by and they'll take care of it. The owner told my friend that "it takes two minutes". I have already printed the instructions and diagram above and will bring it with me should they want to see them. I don't have the replacement mirror yet bu expect to have it by early next week. I'll let you all know how this turns out. Hopefully, it will turn out well.

Excellent. Biggest thing to keep in mind iif you are getting a used one is to be careful when unplugging the plugs, especially the ones for the heaters, They will be tight. Keep us posted

GM FAN FOREVER

I'll keep the tight wires in mind, as well as the even pressure required to snap the part in place. Hopefully, I'll be present while they're doing it, so I'll need to do my best not to hover and act like a pain in the a__ customer while they're working. I just received the replacement mirror in the mail this morning, but I'll need to wait for my friend's availability to ride over there with me. The two connectors for the heating wires look a bit corroded. Not rusty, just a bit grungy so I'll take some emory cloth to them to clean them up a bit. And the larger plug (auto dim function?) has two wires with two small metal terminals that I can see at the top of the plug. One terminal (black wire) appears to be pushed in a bit deeper into the plug that the other (brown wire). Hopefully, this isn't a problem. The two actuator shafts also appear to be fastened to the backing plate for the mirror. They pivot at their attachment points, There are small springs, very short springs perhaps three coils around, wrapped around the ears of the two actuator shafts. Looks like I have two extra actuator shafts as I wasn't expecting the replacement mirror to have these attached. We'll see how this goes.

http://i.imgur.com/IxSBqYT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BP6rG6E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pu5r36p.jpg

Don't use emery cloth to clean up the contacts - you will destroy the plating and the connection will corrode 10 times as fast. Just unplugging the wires from the mirror and reconnecting them will clean enough corrosion. I did the same repair to my STS last fall. Use needle nose pliers to disconnect the spade terminals from the old mirror and to reconnect the wires to the new mirror. The job literally takes minutes to complete.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I told my self that I wouldn't do any cleaning up of the terminals until someone responded to my last post. Good thing! No emory cloth cleanup. I'm having the repair done next Tuesday, so I'll let you all know how it goes.

Long story short, we drove over there yesterday and the guy wasn't there. So I tried doing it myself with my son this morning. Of course, I can't get the mirror backing plate off the power drive unit. The mirror came off very easily as it immediately detached from its backing plate when I pulled on it. I wasn't expecting that. The adhesive holding these two parts together seems to have dried out and lost its adhesive properties. I'm afraid to be too aggressive in pulling on the backing plate for fear that I might damage or destroy the power drive unit, the housing, or something else. Also, the two electrical connectors are now exposed and somewhat accessible, but they also don't seem to want to release from their points of attachment. I used needle nose pliers to try and pull them free but they're rather firmly attached. I'm confident that I can get the replacement mirror on, but getting the damaged mirror off is what the problem is. I took some photos below. I used some RTV sealant/adhesive to reattach the bad mirror to the backing plate so that I can safely drive the car while I figure this out. Not sure where to go from here.

http://i.imgur.com/qEohlim.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CygZDKX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QOQGe0o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/luyIPXs.jpg

Long story short, we drove over there yesterday and the guy wasn't there. So I tried doing it myself with my son this morning. Of course, I can't get the mirror backing plate off the power drive unit. The mirror came off very easily as it immediately detached from its backing plate when I pulled on it. I wasn't expecting that. The adhesive holding these two parts together seems to have dried out and lost its adhesive properties. I'm afraid to be too aggressive in pulling on the backing plate for fear that I might damage or destroy the power drive unit, the housing, or something else. Also, the two electrical connectors are now exposed and somewhat accessible, but they also don't seem to want to release from their points of attachment. I used needle nose pliers to try and pull them free but they're rather firmly attached. I'm confident that I can get the replacement mirror on, but getting the damaged mirror off is what the problem is. I took some photos below. I used some RTV sealant/adhesive to reattach the bad mirror to the backing plate so that I can safely drive the car while I figure this out. Not sure where to go from here.

http://i.imgur.com/qEohlim.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CygZDKX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QOQGe0o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/luyIPXs.jpg

To get the terminals off... take a screwdriver about the width of the terminal.. put it at the end of the terminal on the spade lug and twist the screwdriver blade back and forth against the end of the terminal... The corners of the screwdriver blade should break the termonal loose so you can pull it off...

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

I finally got together with the guy at the body shop today and he replaced my mirror. He has experience, having replaced many and the old mirrir popped right off. He didn't even need a screwdriver, he just pulled it off. But it took him nearly a half hour to get the replacement on. Nothing like the youtube videos I watched. Alligning the two actuator shafts seemed to be the root of the problem. Anyway, I have a driver side view mirror again. Thanks to all for your advice.

thanks for updating this. It can be a pain lining those up. You cant see, only feel to line them up

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived