CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The Arena: Dare Greatly

Bruce Nunnally

http://youtu.be/I_fm3O5h9Bg

To strive valiantly is to #DareGreatly.
From Theodore Roosevelt’s “Citizenship in a Republic" speech, 1913.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

reminds me of the famous penalty of leadership http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-the-penalty-of-leadership/

Bruce

I believe the failure in that commercial is to introduce the word 'fail' (in that commercial) whether striving ahead (or not). It gives the Cadillac naysayers a perfect lead (when talking of automobiles): 'see Cadillac missed the mark and they admit it' (and they need only to pick one fault to make their argument (whether a "straw-man" argument or not). I personally 'get-it', as most will, but it does open the conversation to the 'negative' (if one so chooses). JMO (but open to others).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

This could become Cadillac’s “Eminem” moment — a day of reckoning for the brand much like that experienced by Chrysler four years ago.

Cadillac executives are taking a huge risk in the branding campaign that is illustrated in the first TV ads for their new “ Dare Greatly” positioning. They will air Sunday night during The Oscars telecast on ABC, and General Motors GM -1.05% is hoping they score the kind of emotional connection with viewers that was achieved by Chrysler in 2011 when that brand telecast its now-iconic two-minute commercial starring Eminem during the Super Bowl. That ad, titled by insiders “Born Of Fire,” catapulted Chrysler into its new “Imported From Detroit” identity, and the brand has never looked back.

Read more Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/dalebuss/2015/02/16/with-dare-greatly-ads-cadillac-hopes-for-a-born-of-fire-moment/

Bruce

http://youtu.be/I_fm3O5h9Bg

To strive valiantly is to #DareGreatly.

From Theodore Roosevelt’s “Citizenship in a Republic" speech, 1913.

I sure hope they can do a heck of a lot better than that ad.... I watched it, (twice) but saw nothing in it about Cadillac or why you should buy one.

My personal opinion is, it's JUNK, it's boring and it is a useless waste of time and money...

Reckon we will see after it airs... I could be wrong...

Posted Image

The spot's name "Dare Greatly" is taken directly from a long speech Teddy Roosevelt delivered April 23, 1910 at the Sorbonne in Paris.

Read more from Detroit News: http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2015/02/18/cadillac-oscars-commercial/23571527/

To build anticipation, Cadillac has posted a zen-like 5-minute blank white-screen YouTube video for the last week as it prepares redesigned versions of its cadillac.com and social media sites.

(I didn't bother to link that)

The plan calls for a new SRX in 2016, a smaller crossover in early 2017 and a crossover that is bigger than the SRX, but smaller than the full-size Escalade SUV.

After that, Cadillac wants to offer a sedan that is smaller than the ATS, followed by a very large sedan, larger than CT6 by the end of 2020, de Nysschen said in January.

Bruce

I guess it is better than Patrick McCaughney going "deep" on the Lincoln commercials. I agree with the people that said you have to show the cars. You got the CTS V that can go 200mph off the show room floor and the ATS V can go 189 MPH or the Escalade for ultimate Luxury. It just seems like people are getting dumber and need to be stimulated.

If Cadillac has to use that 'Dare to Fail' catch-phase, how about something like this:

Dare to fail, we produced the ATS...................we didn't

Dare to fail, we produced the new CTS...........we didn't

Dare to fail, we continue to produce quality product......(and wait till you see what we have next)

Getting the word out.....................we're working on that

Chuck

#DareGreatly? Cadillac Needs to #DoBetter

Oh, we get it, don’t get us wrong. Battling back against adversity, proving everyone wrong, you can’t judge a car maker unless you actually make cars yourself, etc. It fits with the idea of Cadillac not quite living up to its reputation and making mistakes on the way to (hopefully) becoming the biggest luxury brand in the world.

But this is the look you want for your new campaign? Seriously?

Read more: http://thenewswheel.com/daregreatly-cadillac-needs-to-dobetter/

Bruce

Message to Cadillac enthusiasts and the odd skeptical observer:

Cadillac is embarking upon a bold new journey.

And the Cadillac organization is invigorated. It’s not often that a 112-year-old icon with such a legacy reinvents itself, and it’s awesome for all of us to be part of it.

Of course, those of you who follow our industry know that, over the last few months, we have already begun to disturb the status quo. In the process, we have unavoidably ruffled some feathers: moving part of our operations from Detroit to New York City; placing Cadillac in charge of its own operational destiny; outlining a plan to dramatically expand the product portfolio; creating a consistent nomenclature for our cars. And yes, as far as the car names go, I know it appears as if we are changing one set of “alphabet soup” names for another, but as they say in the classics, there is "method in the madness." Have faith, it will all fall precisely and logically into place over time.

Furthermore, if you’ve been following our new product launches, you will know that the latest generation of Cadillac vehicles are among the very best available on the market today. Not only have we impressed every industry expert, the cars have received award after award.

Cadillac is back. The fact is that Cadillac’s resurgence as an automaker of exceptional prowess and producer of superlative automobiles is well underway, and this is reflected in many of the strong gains achieved around the world last year. Cadillac has never produced better product than is available today—and we have only just begun our product offensive—with a single-minded focus to stun friends and foes alike, with one fascinating new Cadillac after another.

While product fascination provides substance for our ambitions, we must also embark on a philosophical shift to match these ambitions.

To once again become the standard for excellence around the globe, we cannot follow any of the examples set by the luxury market "establishment," nor meekly succumb to preconceived notions about this great brand, or even perceptions about our rivals. We respect each and every one of our competitors, but Cadillac will chart its own course, and we will speak our own truth.

Cadillac is on a mission to shatter the status quo. Cadillac will lead with highly aspirational products packed with advanced technology, superlative craftsmanship and distinctive design. And a brand character that symbolizes quality and respect. We don't aim to be the biggest. We aim to be the best, the highly aspirational domain of the few.

In the words of one of the great American presidents, Theodore Roosevelt: “It is not the critic who counts.” Only those who are willing to accept risk, who have the courage to dare greatly, shape the future.

At Cadillac, we are about shaping our future, and with it, the future of the luxury automobile industry.

The presentation of the ATS-V in Los Angeles late 2014, followed by the CTS-V in Detroit in January this year, was the first salvo directly into what constitutes the very essence of the luxury segment. The next reveal under our bold philosophy of excellence will be in New York City, on the 31st of March. The unveiling of the CT6 Sedan will be the latest, most daring expression of Cadillac’s ambition.

But that’s not where it ends—as I stated, we have only just begun.

Advanced plans are underway to introduce 8 all-new vehicles before the end of the decade. The transformation of Cadillac is happening all around us. And it has been a while since our industry has witnessed change of this magnitude.

The auto industry is a long-cycle business, and we cannot execute all of our plans nor reach all of our goals overnight, but Cadillac is now firmly on course to reclaim its rightful place as the iconic, global luxury brand, made in America.
As we have our supporters, so too we will have our detractors—those who express their discomfort about this bold challenge to the status quo, through criticism and skepticism. We accept these loud protests at the disruption to the established order and understand it means we simply have to work harder and to convey the truth of today to those whose perceptions are still rooted in yesterday.

We know for some it may be a long and arduous journey.

But we are ready.
For at Cadillac, we dare greatly.
Thank you.

Johan de Nysschen
President
Cadillac

Bruce

OK, so all those 112 year olds, figuring they had to be about 10 years old to even remember Teddy Roosevelt, can now go out and buy a new caddy. This just leaves one question, when is GM going to fire their entire advertising staff?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Oh, OK, didn't know that.

Well, how about this. Copy something from Apple and go poach some ad agency from Toyota. Not saying that a catchy jingle will help sell the CT6, but at this point it couldn't hurt.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

The main competitors are Mercedes and BMW. I can't tell you the last advertising I saw from either of them.

Maybe advertising is not the problem or the solution.

The ATS is an improvement over the BMW 3-series for the same money. One might assume few people are buying ATS's instead of 3-series or CLA or c-series because they don't know this fact, so fixable with the right ad campaign. I agree with Cadillac that years of poor product followed by poor customer support have damaged the brand.

I suspect Cadillac has to buy back customer regard and consideration. I suggest price below competitors, go back to longer warranties and free maintenance, and publish detailed warranty, service, and repair records for the brand.

Cadillac should be able to say:

"In 2014, 115K people purchased a highly reliable, state of the art, sports luxury automobile, SUV, or Crossover from Cadillac. When the time comes, the majority of those Buyers plan to purchase another Cadillac. We appreciate your trust, and we are working to keep it. We are also engineering future models to assure your satisfaction, amaze, and delight you.

Cadillac - Luxury and Innovation in Personal Transportation for a connected and engaged world."

Or similar

Bruce

Look at recent Buick (performance); rated high in Consumer Reports and J.D. Power, and while I personally don't put all my fish in the same barrel, those two survey groups do get a lot of respect in the market place. I'm with you Bruce, put out the product, have it perform better than the competition, get the word out (seems to be the hardest thing for Cadillac to do) and the people will come. They've got to start making Cadillac 'bulletproof' (and if not bulletproof have such good dealer relations with consumers that they know that the car will be made 'good' and quickly). Cue is getting better (and remember what a mess BMW's "I" Drive was till they fixed it); Cue needs to get better (NOW).

Chuck

Good points. Yes idrive got poor reviews as well. Some CUE complaints are familiarity issues, some are true response issues.

I think Cadillac could do a lot of good by rechanneling some wasted advertising funds into Customer Care budgets for Dealers. For better or worse the Northstar has a reputation as having a head gasket problem, the 3.6L V6 kept having timing chain issues, and now the 2L turbos are having some unclear intercooler hydrolock or case venting issue. Cadillac needs to mean assured quality through engineering -- that's what "Standard of the World" was about. Not advertising.

Yes there is a new LGX V6 coming to replace the LFX that replaced LLT that replaced ... Etc. But if the next iteration doesn't address and fix reliability issues beyond a doubt then each time is a missed opportunity.

I really like my STS-V, and my Wife's ATS 2L Turbo, and my next car will be a Cadillac. But I do get frustrated with their product execution -- improved though it may be -- when it Should have been better, and when they are not admitting the real issues that need to be addressed.

Bruce

Archived