CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

MAC

Today I received two Timken rear wheel hub assemblies for my 2005 STS. I planned to replace both original hubs over the weekend. However, to my disappointment, one of the hubs is made in the United States while the other is made in Korea. Below is a list of problems with the one made in Korea:

1. Inferior studs, as the studs used are shorter because they do not have the initial non-threaded area which is used to align lug nuts before torquing them down;

2. The bearing is resessed substantially more inside the bearing sleave than the one made in the United States, which means the hub made in Korea does not mirror the specs of the hub made in the United States;

3. The hub does not have a threaded hole next to a stud, which is used to secure the brake disc; and

4. The box the hub came in does not have an official Timken color changing sticker indicating it is an official Timken product.

Needless to say, I'm seeking authorization to return the Korean-made hub and have it replaced with one made in the United States.

By the way, Timken is an American company that has a reputation for quality. However, after recieving the Korean hub that is clearly not made to the same specs as the U.S. hub, I'm dissapointed that Timken would allow such an inferior product. I am seriously considereing sending a letter to Timken about this matter. While both hub assemblies cost the same, the one that is made in Korea is not made to the same specs as the U.S. made hub, which should be comletely unacceptable to Timken.

My advice to anyone looking to buy Timken is to specifically advise that you want only U.S. made. You may get the run around, as in you may be told that it's not possible to guarantee such a thing; however, you should insist or go somewhere else or buy a different brand.

I think that one of your hubs is a counterfeit not made by or for Timken.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I think that one of your hubs is a counterfeit not made by or for Timken.

When I didn't see a color changing sticker it crossed my mind that I might have counterfeit. However, Timken does have their products manufactured at various locations worldwide and the hub is stamped with "IJ123080 KOREA" on it. If it was a fake, I would think it wouldn't say Korea. I think it's more like an inspector from Timken needs to get over to the Korean factory. One thing for sure, the Korean hub is not going on my car.

I have a hard time believing that Timken would accept a part such as you describe. It doesn't meet specifications for what is is for. Then, the logo and box color doesn't look just right...

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I have a hard time believing that Timken would accept a part such as you describe. It doesn't meet specifications for what is is for. Then, the logo and box color doesn't look just right...

You might very well be right about your suspicions that it's fake. I contacted Timken and I'm curious to see if someone will respond and show concern. As a reputable company, I think someone from Timken will contact me.

Glad you posted this. We have to be careful.

Most companies hope that we will expect something other than what is right even though we pay in the end. I honestly would not be surprised if it was dropped in the timken box

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Counterfeit parts is a perennial problem. The people that shipped the hub to you probably did not know that the part was not right. Things like that get into the supply chain and are very difficult to weed out. Think, warehouse, with 25,000 parts in crates on palettes, with 2% of them counterfeit, intermixed at random.

There was a DoD flap a couple of years ago about counterfeit semiconductors in DoD equipment. As you know, military temperature specs cover deep Antarctic to desert sun, -55 C to +125 C, and semiconductors that meet requirements reliably over that temperature range are very expensive. Counterfeit parts may work, but almost certainly they will not work at the temperature extremes.

Counterfeit parts is a perennial problem. The people that shipped the hub to you probably did not know that the part was not right. Things like that get into the supply chain and are very difficult to weed out. Think, warehouse, with 25,000 parts in crates on palettes, with 2% of them counterfeit, intermixed at random.

There was a DoD flap a couple of years ago about counterfeit semiconductors in DoD equipment. As you know, military temperature specs cover deep Antarctic to desert sun, -55 C to +125 C, and semiconductors that meet requirements reliably over that temperature range are very expensive. Counterfeit parts may work, but almost certainly they will not work at the temperature extremes.

I bought the hubs from AutoZone and they were shipped from a warehouse in Memphis, TN.

This morning I noticed that even the Timken box the Korean hub came in has washed out color compared to the one made in the U.S. Another sign that it just might be a fake.

It probably wasn't made in Korea.

It probably wasn't made in Korea.

I tend to think it was indeed made in Korea. I Googled 'Timken hubs and Korea' and came accross several complaints that Korean made Timken hubs are inferior quality.

I received a nice e-mail from AutoZone advising that I can return the hub to a local store, which I'm going to do tomorrow. However, I don't know if the local AutoZone store will be in a position to be able to order a replacement American made Timken hub since it's considered to be special order. But...This is only speculation, as I will soon enough find out what can and can't be done. One thing for certain is that I will not accept a Korean made hub and AutoZone must guarantee that it will fullfill my request for an American made hub in exchange. If not, I will seek a refund on grounds that the Korean hub is defective, which it is.

Some people will buy a new cheap product....and a new good one. And return the cheap one in the good box.

Bought a O2 sensor at AutoZone once....and checked it before leaving the store. It was a obvious used one. Duh..

I think Timken has the 'your on your own' position and suggests buying from certified Timken outlets. Timken is not going to chase down the bad guys..

Being the box looks different with no hologram label....makes it very suspect in my mind.

Here is a link to a MB site talking about fake Timken bearings...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164-m-class/1865081-w164-ml-front-differential-bearings-fake.html

I am finding it harder and harder now because alot of parts are not readily available and need to be ordered.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Attached is a scan of the front of the Korean made Timken hub with my obervations.

The studs used in this Korean made Timken hub are inferior to the studs use to make the same U.S. made Timken hub. The studs of the Korean made hub are shorter and do not have a non-threaded portion which is used to assist in aligning lug nuts. The same U.S. made Timken hub has OEM studs with the non-threaded portion. Also, the Korean made hub does not have a threaded hole next to a stud, which is used to secure the brake disc/rotor. However, the same U.S. made Timken hub does have a threaded hole consistent with OEM specs.

Here is a link to the same Timken hub that is made in the U.S. This link shows the hub that I received which has the hologram (color changing) label. Notice the difference between the Korean made hub and this one.

post-253-0-71983600-1414257827_thumb.jpg

Attached is a scan of the back of the Korean made Timken hub with my obervations.

The bearing of this Korean made Timken hub is recessed inside the sleeve because it has a lip extending upwards making it necessary to press the bearing so it does not extend beyond the sleeve's edge. The same U.S. made Timken hub does not have a lip, so the bearing is pressed so it is flush with the sleeve's edge.

post-253-0-24973800-1414257958_thumb.jpg

There is a missing hole in the wheel mounting disc and the bearing is different. The "Korean" bearing is narrower than the right bearing. I suspect that it does not have the load-bearing capacity of the right bearing. Without the hole, tapped, you can't mount the brake disk.

Even if you drilled and tapped the mounting hole and changed the bearing, you have no reason to believe that the basic piece meets dimensional and strength specifications. Then, there's the wheel speed sensor, which is an unknown at this point.

Whoever shipped you the hub is the one that is liable for counterfeits.

UPDATE: I received e-mails from a Timken representative who expressed concern over my dissatifaction with the Timken rear hub made in Korea. I was advised that there will be an internal investigation to determine whether the threaded hole that is currenly missing from the Korean-made hub will be added to future production runs. Nevertheless, I was also assured that Timken stands by the "safety, craftsmanship and performance" of the Korean hub, in that it will live up to Timken standards.

I believe the threaded hole will be added to the hub, particularly in light of the fact that the front U.S.-made hub Timken makes for the same vehicle includes the threaded hole. In my opinion, if the threaded hole is not added to future runs, I don't see how Timken can stand behind the craftsmanship claim when only the Korean hub is allowed to be produced lacking the OEM spec threaded hole. However, the front and rear U.S.-made hubs that Timken sells for the same vehicle do include the threaded hole.

Regardless, I still would not want the Korean hub(s) due to different bearings being used between it and those manufactured in the United States. I don't like to see inconsistency, as it makes me wonder about quality. In this case, about the quality of the hub I received that was made in Korea. Also, there are critical reviews of Korean-made hubs by some who have posted in Internet forums, which make me suspect there is a quality difference between hubs made in the U.S. and Korea regardless of Timken's assurances. My view is that overall specs and specs of parts used should be consistent and should of course meet OEM specs regardless of country of manufacture. In my opinion, Timken should stay with a single winning combination and don't deviate unless or until it can be improved.

My view is that overall specs and specs of parts used should be consistent and should of course meet OEM specs regardless of country of manufacture. In my opinion, Timken should stay with a single winning combination and don't deviate unless or until it can be improved.

EXACTLY!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived