CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

MotleyFool: is GM's Cadillac Revival Failing?

Until recently, sales at General Motors' (NYSE: GM ) Cadilac brand were on a tear. U.S. sales of Cadillacs rose 21.9% in 2013, thanks to new models like the XTS and ATS sedans.

But so far, 2014 has been a very different story. Through May, Cadillac sales are down 2.3% from year-ago levels. And its those same two models that seem to be the culprits: ATS and XTS sales are both sharply lower so far this year.

What's the deal? Is the long-awaited Cadillac revival turning out to be a dud?

Read more: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/06/15/is-gms-cadillac-revival-failing.aspx

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I believe the second phase of the "revival" was an effort to increase prices across the board. I will use the ELR as my prime example of that. This just happened to coincide with very high jobless numbers and the failure of the middle class income to keep up with inflation. Guess what doesn't sell under these circumstances? Further, both the ATS and XTS got poor reviews in Consumer Reports. I personally don't put a lot of stock in American car reviews performed by CR, but I think a lot of people do.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I believe the second phase of the "revival" was an effort to increase prices across the board. I will use the ELR as my prime example of that. This just happened to coincide with very high jobless numbers and the failure of the middle class income to keep up with inflation. Guess what doesn't sell under these circumstances? Further, both the ATS and XTS got poor reviews in Consumer Reports. I personally don't put a lot of stock in American car reviews performed by CR, but I think a lot of people do.

Great way to kill sales is to jack the price up out of sight... There are a LOT of prople who take what "CON-sumer Reports" magazine says as gospel which is crazy.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I've found Consumer Reports reviews to be far less than reliable. They panned the first really good Chrysler small cars (Omni/Horizon) on the grounds that you had to hold on to the steering wheel to keep the car going straight, for example. They gave the 1963 Corvette with base engine and Powerglide a rave review, primarily because it had better brakes than anything that they had ever tested, and was the first car that they ever saw to reach 1 g braking. But later, customer summaries gave the Corvette "worse than average" ratings for body rust. Then, Ralph Nader got on their board...

They test garbage disposal units with broken glass. They panned the Bose 901 speakers for lack of stereo directional preciseness, something that is installation dependent and treated with great care in the Bose instruction manuals.

During his tenure at CU, Ralph Nader sent a letter to Car & Driver. He said that they should encourage economy and safe driving, and that by rating cars by performance and driving experience rather than economy and safety, they were bad people. Car & Driver published it. Editor response: "Get a job, Ralph." A war of words began, but ended quickly with a Car & Driver editorial which pointed out that they were an enthusiast's magazine, but CU could not be discerned to like *anything*.

When looking for car reviews, go with the car people. And a grain of salt.

BTW, are the MotelyFool people car people?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

MotleyFool normally gives investment advice...

Posted Image

MotleyFool normally gives investment advice...

Ah, investment advisers. Those guys have a 90-day business horizon.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived