CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A long wooden dowel pressed against the bell housing on one end and your ear or cheekbone on the other can help you localize the source of the noise. I have also used the cardboard tube from an empty roll of paper towels with some success.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I believe someone suggested running the engine with the belt un-installed; this would be the thing to try first. As long as the engine is running for a very short time no damage would be invoked. If noise continues (belt off) then it's probably an engine knock of some kind, if noise is gone, one of the driven accessories is the culprit. And while the belt is off (engine off) the individual pulleys can be spun and checked for smooth operation.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

• 11 months later...

Loose torque converter bolts can cause the same rattle and *do* happen, particularly if the engine has been worked on where a wrench is used on a flywheel bolt to hold the crank stationary or the transmission and engine are separated. Try re-torquing the flywheel bolts before you go forward.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

• 3 weeks later...

Hola--johnnymonnky here and this has been a great ongoing read for me as my beautiful 1997 Deville is on it's 9TH __ Yes, 9TH!__Lifetime Warrantied Compressor that was first replaced at the very Large dealership here in my town in Texas and the area of trouble is again making the same noises and the same stop, . start , stop, start action of the compressor and clicks loudly -perhaps similar to what Vanessa is describing___ and the lifetime warranty is great but I would rather "Diamond" would be the quite , cool, comfortable bad-*smurf* buggy it has always been. It has always cooled the great way it's supposed too but thanks too all who are helping figure her problem out as maybe my mechanics can use the info. [Note: Diamond came back after the last replacement of the compressor doing what we had been lucky in avoiding and that is now oil is badly leaking underneath like I've read on here many times these engines may do but that's off topic , just noting it] ty, jm .....Wanted to clarify that all 9 replacements have been done at my same dealership_my service rep has been great_i'm personal friends with the owner and many of the folks that work there so I hope something can correct this issue as I'm keeping this one til it's kaput__getting a 2015 but not looking forward to the loss of area or room/space reduction the newer design brings__prefer the 97 for daily everything-powerful car*

If you keep losing compressors, you likely have debris in the system. The high-mileage failure mode of compressors is the reed valves breaking, and this can result in debris in the system if let go too long. If that's the problem, you need to get the system cleaned out the next time you need a compressor replacement. This isn't easy to do. For a car with a long-time problem, you can't just replace the drier and clean out the expansion valve, you need to pull down and reverse-flush everything else as well: condenser, expansion valve, evaporator, and hoses.

This is at a very large reputable dealership so I haven't done anything except return it each time as it is the Lifetime Warranty deal and I've told Jim how bad I feel and he says it's a manufacturer's lifetime warranty as they get reimbursed or whatever but still, this is not acceptable but I don't want to question the mechanics ability's but other than returning it each time I'm unclear how to resolve this problem___My first vehicle was bought from the current owners father, my grandfathers close personal friend and I'm friends with the owner but don't go to him with this type deal but I would like to talk with those who have worked on this but other than turning the key's over to Jim the service rep out front I never have any contact with the garage and I'm not the "get flippy" type. I understand that ya'll on here with knowledge/credentials would be all over it but I have multiple vehicles from there and will be getting a 2015 New Caddy and don't want to get any type customer reputation so I just go with what they recommend but really want to get it fixed like it should be. It cool's fine but the compressor kick's on and off making noises I know no Cadillac should make. This is a very quiet, smooth running, well maintained car and I hope it returns to that way of operating and thanks for the input. Going to print these posts, give them to Jim__Whether they make it further ....probably not be well received input. lol Also, if it was costing me , of course I would act differently but that's why I requested the higher priced Lifetime package but never thought this would be coming.

Just because the owner of the dealership is your friend doesn't mean you can't question the work that was done or how the work was done... If that were my car, I would be really annoyed that it keeps going bad - the inconvenience alone is not worth it. I am willing to bet the condenser and orifice tube was not replaced and/or the system was not flushed and the remaining trash is what keeps taking out the replacement compressors.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It looks to me like they are just replacing the compressor at GM's cost every time you come in, with no thought to prevent future failures, e.g. clean out the system after changing the drier. GM policy may be to change out the entire A/C system as a way to avoid a Goodwrench warranty on rebuilt and refurbished parts; you might ask about that or someone here may know. I would be slow to judge on this, it could just be inexperience on the part of the service manager or tech, or lack of study of the car's history before writing the work order. I've seen the latter many times in many good shops.

I will ask about all this issues that are being laid out here and maybe it will end this situation___ty

Archived