CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

vibration or rod knock????

eldorado97

It has been a long time since i have had to ask for help but i am not to proud to ask! I have a vibration going on in my 97 eldo and i have not been able to locate where it is coming from. the problem is that it sounds like it is coming from everywhere. i will try to explain it.....when i start the car there is a light knocking or ticking and as soon as i put it in reverse it gets louder. after i put it in drive and hit the accelerator it all but dissapears. it returns at a very low speed and as i stop it gets louder. when i put it in park it dissapears completely. so to sum up what i am trying to explain is....when the car is warmed up it can only be heard when it is in drive or reverse....not park or neutral. on initial startup it still knocks. Now i will try to explain exactly what it sounds like. when i start the car it sounds as if it is a rod knocking but when i start to drive it gets quieter as it warms up. i have had a car that had a rod knock and it didnt go away while driving it got louder! so that leads me to believe it isnt a rod. My question is....could this be in the transmission, cv joints, flywheel-torque converter....? The tranny was replaced in july 2010 and i havent had any problems. codes are PCM P0171 P0174 P0325 P0603 P1520 P1604.....All codes are history except P1520. it shows current. has anyone else had any weird noise like this??? thank you to everyone for any input on this situation.

i bought the car in feb 2010 and replaced both dogbones and i have inspected the trans mount and motor mount and they LOOK good but i have read in other posts that they can look good but still be cracked or bad. i dont have someone to shift the car while i inspect them.

i bought the car in feb 2010 and replaced both dogbones and i have inspected the trans mount and motor mount and they LOOK good but i have read in other posts that they can look good but still be cracked or bad. i dont have someone to shift the car while i inspect them.

Not the dogbones - check the mounts under the engine and trans. Pay close attention to the front engine mount.

I doubt if there is rod knock... rod knock will increase in intensity with engine RPM. That is not what you are expierencing.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

P1520 Transmission Range Switch Circuit

P0170 Fuel Trim Bank 1

P0174 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2

P0325 PCM Knock Sensor Circuit

P0603 Control Module Long Term Memory Reset

P1604 Loss of IPC Serial Data

First, if you have a mechanical knock, it can (and is probably causing your ) P0325. Second, both P0170 and P0174 indicate that you have a serious vacuum leak. P0603 simply means that the battery was disconnected sometime recently. P1520 indicates that the transmission linkage wasn't adjusted properly when you had the transmission replaced. P1604 is probably an electrical problem but it is serious because you can lose the speedometer, DIC, and gas gauge if that data link fails. You need the DIC to run the codes without a code reader.

The big red flag to me is the CURRENT 1520 and the recent transmission replacement. The noise and behavior sounds like it might be loose torque converter bolts. I haven't had this problem myself so I will ask those who have experienced and fixed loose torque converter bolts to comment on whether this is appropriate to say or not.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

the battery wasnt disconnected but it has gone dead 3 times in the last 2 months. bought a new one in jan. as for the vacumm leak i can hear one but not been able to pinpoint exactly where it is. could a loose starter a source of the knocking? sometimes it actually sounds as if there is a loose heat shield and other times as if there is a hole in the exhaust somewhere. that is what is so confusing for me because i know it is the same noise but it sounds different depending on if the car is cold or warm. like when i get home from driving, as soon as i stop i can hear it but slip it in neutral and the engine is just as quiet as if it were new!

the battery wasnt disconnected but it has gone dead 3 times in the last 2 months. bought a new one in jan. as for the vacumm leak i can hear one but not been able to pinpoint exactly where it is. could a loose starter a source of the knocking? sometimes it actually sounds as if there is a loose heat shield and other times as if there is a hole in the exhaust somewhere. that is what is so confusing for me because i know it is the same noise but it sounds different depending on if the car is cold or warm. like when i get home from driving, as soon as i stop i can hear it but slip it in neutral and the engine is just as quiet as if it were new!

To me, that sounds like something related to the connection between the transmission and engine... possibly loose torque converter bolts.

If it was engine related, it wouldn't stop when you ut it in neutral.

Posted Image

I definately agree with the torque convertor bolts. that would be my first place to look. Also check the flexplate for cracking

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Just a suggestion: if you have any way of recording and uploading the sound(s), then maybe someone will be able to identify it.

getting a recording is a good idea. i work late tonite so i will try to upload something on it tomorrow. also if anyone has some advice on taking off the intake to get to the starter i would like to hear from you.

Jack the car up, crawl under it, remove the inspection cover and check the flywheel to torque converter bolts. That shouldn't take more than a half hour. If nothing else, you will rule that out.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived