CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Overheating 1996 cadillac seville...?

My 1996 cadillac seville has baffled me now... it usually overheats about half hour into driving, be it street or freeway. Car has 180,000 miles, but I've meticuously taken care of it for the last 10yrs I've owned. I recently replaced the thermostat, water pump, all new hoses, complete radiator flush and it still overheats...I did all that myself since...I enjoy working on cars. I recently did a headgasket check...with special chemical and came out fine. The only thing I'm left to believe is a bad drive belt tensioner, because I can hear something squeal...maybe a bearing is going in the drive belt area. Fans also kick on when its starts getting the normal operating temperature. I also replace the reservoir pressure cap. My question is can the drive belt tensioner cause over heating?

• 2 weeks later...

checked purge line, and it seems to be clear. Coolant flows thru it with ease. Cant think of anything else it could be. Will a worn out A/C compressor clutch cause overheating? What do you mean when you say "if it is stopped up, it will cause overheating"?

If the purge line is clogged or "stopped up" the engine will overheat. You reported the purge line was flowing so the next step would be to verify the water pump belt tensioner is putting the proper amount of tension on the system. If that checks OK, the next step would be to test the coolant for combustion gasses.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Keep in mind that the water pump has its own belt and it is NOT part of the main serp belt that drives the AC comp, the water pump belt is located at the left front of the engine

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 5 months later...

Use a thermal thermometer to see what the temp into and out of the radiator is.

If the difference is very small, the radiator might not be working properly. Check that the radiator is sealed on the edges. Check that air goes through it, not around it.

If you hear a squeal that seems to happen just before or during an overheating episode, you likely have a bad water pump belt, idler, or the pump itself. The water pump is driven by a cam on the front head. It's on the driver's side of the engine. Just follow the radiator hose and you will find it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived