CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

K&N air filter

Cadillac STS

I ordered the $65 K-N air filter from kragen for my 1994 STS, only problem is i

ordered the filter under the 1994 ETC name due to the fact K-N does not have one

for the 94 STS...It should fit right?...i was 100% sure when i bought it, but now i am having some doubts. I mean they do have the same powertrain!

BTW it is coming in tomorrow the 22nd...I will be installing it myself

Should be the same one.

May depend on a lot of variables, but in my tests (see http://www.caddyinfo.com/airfilterstudy2.htm ) a clean paper filter did the best.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Ah, you'll be fine...just get a good fit, and don't worry about it. I have one in my '93 STS and it works great. I have a brand new OEM paper one in a box, and when it's time to clean the K&N I'll put it back in for a bit. Butt...I really don't think my rear-end will know the difference. And unless I get out a stop watch and squint for tenths...who cares, I'm still having fun!

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Ah, you'll be fine...just get a good fit, and don't worry about it. I have one in my '93 STS and it works great. I have a brand new OEM paper one in a box, and when it's time to clean the K&N I'll put it back in for a bit. Butt...I really don't think my rear-end will know the difference. And unless I get out a stop watch and squint for tenths...who cares, I'm still having fun!

so there really isn't a slight diffference..anyway my original paper filter is getting dirty, might as well replace it

Oh and how do you clean the K-N filter and when should you?

Oh and how do you clean the K-N filter and when should you?

You'll need a cleaning kit. Basically, you dust or brush off the filter, then spray on the cleaner, let it soak in, then rinse off, then let it dry, then re-oil it.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

This is true....a slightly dirty air filter is better then a new one......at keeping the engine clean.

but paper filters get dirty and cause HP loss... <_<  getting really angry!

Huh....???? You don't think that the K&N is going to get dirty?? If the paper filter and the K&N are equivalent in filtration then they will both get dirty at the same rate. Now explain to me why the K&N is "better".....

The K&N does not flow more air. Your "percieved" acceleration improvement is the result of spending $65 for an air filter element. Do you know how many paper ones you could buy for that???

$65 for an air filter element...!!!...??? I'm in the wrong business......

Ehh, i kinda think that your right in a way but who cares....I'm feeling happy with it as of right now and i think thats what really matters most...

actaully engine response was decreased, the real magic is way up in the high rpms...

I guess you guys were right

actaully engine response was decreased, the real magic is way up in the high rpms...

That's what I experienced too. In fact, I put an open element on mine instead of a drop-in, so my results seemed to be more dramatic. I even fabricated a heat shield, but I was still unimpressed. Response went down, as did mileage. WOT power near redline was a little bit better, but I don't flog the car out all the time, so I don't perceive the gains. I also don't have other mods, and don't desire to have any either. After putting the factory air box and a real filter back on, I was much happier with the way the car ran. :)

You can see what I did here, just for reference:

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/filter.html

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

That's what I experienced too. In fact, I put an open element on mine instead of a drop-in, so my results seemed to be more dramatic. I even fabricated a heat shield, but I was still unimpressed. Response went down, as did mileage. WOT power near redline was a little bit better, but I don't flog the car out all the time, so I don't perceive the gains. I also don't have other mods, and don't desire to have any either. After putting the factory air box and a real filter back on, I was much happier with the way the car ran. :)

You can see what I did here, just for reference:

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/filter.html

Yeah, bummer :(

I thought it would at least increase the response and not vise versa

BTW engine revs are smoother now for some reason? RPM revs freely also?

I went with the cool blue for the fit. That was back when bruce said that was the way to go. So I went, Now I guess I shall trash that and use a paper. Money is no issue. But I like the Idea of saving the trees. (And just dumping 3 bucks worth of hazardous materials on them to clean them once every 6 months.)

By the way, I just had my car repainted and they put real paint, pearl and clearcoat under the hood and inside the fenders. You have to do that Mod as your's looks a little dull! If ya know the paint man and he's your father in law, he'll do it for free!

I went with the cool blue for the fit.  That was back when bruce said that was the way to go.  So I went, Now I guess I shall trash that and use a paper.  Money is no issue.  But I like the Idea of saving the trees.  (And just dumping 3 bucks worth of hazardous materials on them to clean them once every 6 months.)

By the way, I just had my car repainted and they put real paint, pearl and clearcoat under the hood and inside the fenders.  You have to do that Mod as your's looks a little dull!  If ya know the paint man and he's your father in law, he'll do it for free!

you call this dull buddy? detailing cars is my job bro :D

f9eaa3a5.jpg

fa01312d.jpg

fa01315c.jpg

fa013171.jpg

"AND I'M SPENT!" B)

You will see better performance with a K&N cone filter only if you change your exhaust to free flowing(Corsa exhaust,Borla,etc)

Correct. Engine modifications (especially those which affect airflow) need to complement each other to work effectively, as many of us have demonstrated and experienced.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

There were a number of posts on the old board about refitting the K & N for use in an STS. I understand the archives are working again there.

Archived