CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Going On Another Long Road Trip

Texas Jim

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of wild burros in the area..

Some of them have learned they can live a lot better off of the tourists than out in the desert... LOL

20120629_105806.jpg

20120629_111924.jpg

20120629_111738.jpg

Posted Image

Great job on the photo trip documentary Jim. Keep up the good work. I enjoy following along virtually.

Thanks Bruce....

I actually enjoy doing it.

If everyone don't get mad at me for so many pics... I will keep 'em coming for a few more days... :)

Posted Image

wow. thanks for sharing. Beautiful cars. nice people. Sightseeing is all the fun in trips. This thread is wonderful. Excellent picture quality also. Hope you are having fun. I would love to live traveling the world. something different every day

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

My wife and I are loving the photos Jim. Love the "just crusin along" speed of nearly 110 hahahaha........ I feel like I am on vacation with you, great photos, thanks

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Well, today was kinda wasted...except for using over a $100 bucks worth of gasoline..... :wipetears

Left Santa Clarita early this morning and drove over to Santa Maria, on the Pacific coast.

Had an early lunch there, and headed up the Pacific Coast Highway... also known as Highway 1.

Drove along for over two hours and the traffic was unbelievable...plus Darling Wife couldn't stay awake... :angry2:

I couldn't see much, because I had to watch traffic ... she wasn't seeing anything, 'cause she was asleep...

So.... I said to heck with it and headed back East at Paso Robles and got back on I-5 and headed north.

Only got one pic of the ocean...

This one is Pismo Beach...

Stupid ricer got in the way... :lol:

20120701_132954.jpg

Posted Image

I forgot to do an update for yesterday....

Hope I don't forget how to get back home....:)

OK... here is an update for day 4....

Not many pics but we sure did have a good time today.

Gary (my friend from another forum) was our tour guide today... and he was a pretty good one.

We went to the William S Hart park and museum and also drove up to his mansion, on top of a mountain, that he lived in till he died in 1946.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Hart

We were not supposed to drive up there... the road has great big signs saying "AUTHORIZED VEHICLES ONLY"...

You can go up there... but only on foot... cars are not allowed to use the road.

It was a good 3/4 mile up the road to the top of the mountain... maybe a little more.

I had talked to a brand new security guard and he didn't know the road was marked like that... and he said we could drive up there...

I reckon that made us an "AUTHORIZED VEHICLE"....LOL LOL

When we got to the top and parked the Caddy.. this lady came out of the mansion and was gonna run us off, but after I talked to her for a bit, she was gonna take us on a personal, guided tour of the place.

We couldn't do that, because Darling Wife can't climb stairs, and I wasn't going to leave her in the car while me and Gary did it.

Here are a couple pics of the house... it is a LOT bigger than the pics show.

It rambles around all over the place.

20120630_131332.jpg

20120630_131403.jpg

20120630_131910.jpg

20120630_132137.jpg

Posted Image

We finally got to Santa Clarita CA...

Gary and his wife, Jose and his wife and Dave all came to the motel and we had a great time visiting and then going to eat supper.

I am on the far left... with the hat on... Jose is next, then Gary, then Dave...

He is a construction engineer in the army.... he is retiring this winter with 21 years in.

He also likes riding Harleys... he has a really nice one.

The 2nd pic is Jose's wife and Gary's wife.

20120629_200751.jpg

20120629_200859.jpg

Posted Image

Stopped for few minutes in Boron CA at the 20 Mule Team Borax Museum...

It was pretty interesting and this old T Bird was sitting out front...

20120629_145633.jpg

20120629_151131.jpg

The had a really strange speed limit going out to the mine... :)

20120629_152705.jpg

Posted Image

Here was a nice old truck that was in the parking lot where we met up to eat breakfast.

Breakfast was me, Darling Wife, Gary and his lovely wife, Dave, and a passle of Gary's kids and Grandkids.

I only got pics of the truck...:facepalm:

Look at the steering column... it is a HydroMatic... :)

20120630_111326.jpg

20120630_111348.jpg

Posted Image

After driving around and looking at the country...Jose and his wife, along with me and Darling wife went to Gary's house for a big bbq...

His son did most of the outdoor cooking and Gary's wife did all the indoor stuff.

There was too many things to eat to try to make a list of them.... :lol: :thumbs:

Just as we finished eating, several of gary's friends dropped by his place...

There were about 10 guys standing around shooting the bull...

It was a good time. :):)

20120630_192521.jpg

20120630_191707.jpg

20120630_192530.jpg

Posted Image

wow what a beautiful GMC. Thats the first one I have seen.

Looks like you have good fun state hopping. Lots of pics.

I love hopping states and snapping pics also. I have pics for each state. I say florida is my top state for great pics but nothing beats being there in person. I even sat in the herbie bug lol. Got some pics. It was the original

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Looks like fun Jim, great photos

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

wow what a beautiful GMC. Thats the first one I have seen.

Looks like you have good fun state hopping. Lots of pics.

I love hopping states and snapping pics also. I have pics for each state. I say florida is my top state for great pics but nothing beats being there in person. I even sat in the herbie bug lol. Got some pics. It was the original

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had one years ago a 56.

The earlier GMC had a slightly bigger 6 cylinder than Chevy, And when Chevy went to their V8, GMC used the Pontiac V8 in the smaller trucks and Olds in the dump trucks. Later they used chevy in everything.

So yes it was a 4spd Hydramatic not overdrive, but with the great first speed, they used a bit higher speed diff ratio (Great tranny)

But recalling, Chevy used the hydramatic in their trucks also.

So much better than Powerslides.

Bob B

OK... reckon it is time for an update for Monday's drive...

Left Williams CA Monday morning and headed North to Mt Shasta to meet Greg for lunch...He is an internet friend from another forum.

We finally ended up in Vancouver Washington...

Greg is a real nice guy...Heck, he even bought our lunch.... it was very good too... :):)

20120702_112958.jpg

Pic of Mt Shasta from about 50/60 miles away...

20120702_104739.jpg

From about 30 miles away...

20120702_105141.jpg

Posted Image

While eating lunch, Greg told me of a place a little ways down the freeway where you could take a nice pic of the mountain.

I went there... got on the service road and stopped to take a pic.

Another guy was already stopped, but started leaving as we stopped.

He pulled up by me and asked if I wanted him to take a pic of the mountain with me in the pic...

Kinda surprised me.... strangers don't usually stop and help you do ANYTHING anymore...

I told him sure... this is what he took...

20120702_123645.jpg

Posted Image

Now an update for Tuesday... the 3rd of July.

More pictures this time...

We left Vancouver Washington Tuesday morning and headed to Seattle with a side trip to Mt St Helens...

I thought this was an interesting name for a car wash... LOL

20120703_085855.jpg

We went up I-5 for a ways then turned and started to Mt St. Helens,

It was a little cool as we were going to the mountain

20120703_104704.jpg

Posted Image

It is about 55 miles from I-5 to Mt St. Helens...

Drove all the way out there... and it seems longer than that.

We got there and it was totally fogged in....you couldn't see 100 feet in front of you, but the sun was shining when we left I-5...

So... then we went back to I-5... went a ways North to the turn off going to Mt Rainier...

Maybe we would have better luck this time...

Sun was shining on I-5.... go about five miles, it was totally cloudy... another five miles and it was raining... another five miles and it is raining harder and getting foggy...

We turned around.. went back to I-5 and came on to Seattle...

The Sun shined on us all the way to Seattle... :rolleyes:

Here are a few pics with description for each one...

About 5 miles from I-5

20120703_113512.jpg

Long bridge between mountains...

20120703_103101.jpg

A few miles farther...

20120703_101323.jpg

Posted Image

Another few miles...

Now in addition to the rain, it is getting foggy...

20120703_110851.jpg

Finally get there... here is what you are supposed to see...

20120703_110521.jpg

Here is what actually saw.... :(

20120703_110535.jpg

20120703_110542.jpg

Posted Image

Archived