CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Is this for real??

sprucegoose

I just read about this at this site, I never heard of this. It is a spray that you put on your license plates to block the camera's ability to take your plate's picture. I'm not aware that we have a lot of these cameras here in Milwaukee, maybe isn't any at all. I know a lot of people have been discussing the in-accuracy and unfairness of them lately in other areas though... Anyone ever buy this? Personally I think a nice Polo Green works well too! :D

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/10/prweb173209.php

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

According to the Washington Post article, looks like it works.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Or you could do like the folks in New Jersey, just drive around without license plates. Odds are, cops will never stop you so long as you don't do something to draw attention to yourself.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Just take off the front lisence plate. I have a collection of cars, (and trucks) none of which has a front plate. It's 'illegal' here in the republic of California to have the front plate removed, but I've yet, (in 35 years) to be stopped for it. If you are stopped, it's merely a 'fixit' ticket, so you put in back on, get it signed off, take it back off, blah, blah. ;)

Funny thing.....the ONLY vechicle I left the front plate on was the one that I recieved the red light ticket for, and finally beat in that protracted, PIA episode I posted here a little while back...It would have been a WHOLE lot easier if I had just had gotten around to taking the dang thing off of that truck...

Which I finally did...

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

All it does is create glare when the flash on the camera goes off. It should work, provided that the light hits your license plate just right.

How about the day time when flashes are not in use?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

All it does is create glare when the flash on the camera goes off. It should work, provided that the light hits your license plate just right.

You're dead meat :lol:

I watched something about this on Tom Artino or whatever -- he's a big product tester on the local news, and he said it works, even in daytime. However, he tested license plates that distorted the numbers from certain angles, namely the angle of a camera, and he decided that those work best.

I have a better idea. how about never speeding or running redlights? B)

joeb, you can not run a red light, and still spend three days off work finally getting the case dropped. I type from experience. Even then, there are high probabilities you will lose, any pay a very expensive fine with a point against your liscence. It's all been but proven that the red light camera ticket bussiness is a veritable extortion racket.

user posted image

Just take off the front lisence plate. I have a collection of cars, (and trucks) none of which has a front plate. It's 'illegal' here in the republic of California to have the front plate removed, but I've yet, (in 35 years) to be stopped for it. If you are stopped, it's merely a 'fixit' ticket, so you put in back on, get it signed off, take it back off, blah, blah. ;)

Make sure you put the license plate back on if you ever park at LAX airport. They walk around the parking lot giving everyone without a front license plate a $25 fine. Ends up being a great revenue maker to support our great welfare state.

IPB Image

Make sure you put the license plate back on if you ever park at LAX airport. They walk around the parking lot giving everyone without a front license plate a $25 fine. Ends up being a great revenue maker to support our great welfare state.

Very interesting! Fortunatley, I don't live anywhere near 'La La Land', (I'm far north) so when I transit LAX, I'm never in one of my cars.

Good heads up though.

user posted image

It must be a county generated ordinace for revenue purposes. In the state of Ca. missing the front plate is a 'fixit' ticket only (no fine). The same is true for El Dorado County where I reside, and I'm pretty sure it's a fixit only in Sacto County down the hill. I'll check with my Sheriff buddies.

user posted image

the photo has to show your car and the redlight together. i have not seen a redlight traffic cop photo recently so i am going by memory here. If you stop when you see yellow there is no way you can be ticketed. unless its got to the point where big brother is manipulating photos digitally. i'm not that paranoid yet. or maybe I'm missing your point BobD.

Somebody has to pay for the freebies for all the illegal aliens, I guess.

The biggest problem I have with the photo radar is that they assume the owner is driving the car, which goes contrary to our legal system where you are assumed innocent until proven guilty, and by getting the license plate only does not meet this standard. This alone proves it is just a revenue maker.

Here in Virginia there is a very good chance the state's 10 year experiment with photo radar will not be renewed. It is being voted on as we speak.

the photo has to show your car and the redlight together. i have not seen a redlight traffic cop photo recently so i am going by memory here. If you stop when you see yellow there is no way you can be ticketed. unless its got to the point where big brother is manipulating photos digitally. i'm not that paranoid yet.  or maybe I'm missing your point BobD.

My point is that it's not all as fair as they'd like us to believe...It's all about the timing of the lights. It varies with the time of day and traffic loads. The red light ticket that I contested and brought to trial was a perfect example. When I crossed the first light on my left in a wide, three lane intersection with heavy traffic the light had just turned yellow over my left shoulder. The light out in the middle of the intersection went red (the photographed one, as you pointed out..) well before I or a few others had the chance to complete the turn. The three choices I had, which I demonstrated in court was: 1) Slam on the brakes of an 8,000 lb truck full of my new new kitchen appliances and risk being rear ended, 2) Floor it, and try and beat the light and endanger everyone in the intersection and risk rolling the high cg truck, or 3) continue at a safe speed and complete the turn. I chose the latter. Little did I realize at the time that I (we) were put in a no-win, revenue generating situatiuon by the county...Not too long after that episode, I recieved a grainy photograph of my vechicle under the center light which was red, and a demand for 391.00 dolllars which also adds a point to my liscence as a moving violation....Nope, not doin' it... I had the case dropped after three appearances in court, which of course are during normal working hours and many miles from my home and business.

A close freind of mine is a captain in the sherrifs dept, and he is well advised of the red light ticket technology and it's revenue generating abilities which is rampant across the US. He was more than happy to give me some hints for my arguement. The thing is, if maybe 10-20% of us contest and win, (which I think is high..) then a whole lot of easy money is being made...

Did it make me feel better to have the case dropped? Well yes BUT, I would I have been a lot happier to have remembered to remove that last front plate before I ventured into that rip off zone and save a bunch of my time.

user posted image

2) Floor it, and try and beat the light and endanger everyone in the intersection and risk rolling the high cg truck

Flooring it and watching as my passenger gets thrown around and hanging on for dear life is usually what I do. :D Did that a couple of days ago and my passenger was surprised that we didn't end up in the light pole. I accelerated to about 40 mph going around the intersection as the light started to turn red. Thanks to the touring suspension, Pirelli tires, and some suspension tweaking, I could have even gone faster.

IPB Image

Archived