CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New exhaust installed!

KrisR

I wanted a new cat-back exhaust on my '96 STS because one of the mufflers had a rust hole and also because I wanted some more sound and HP.

The setup: two Summit Turbo mufflers, 2-1/4" inlet / 2-1/4" outlet (SUM-630122) welded in to the factory locations, with the factory tips still used. Resonator cut out and replaced with a piece of straight 2-1/4" pipe.

Sounds very nice and subtle; No drone on the highway, just a deep sound at low RPM which gets a little more aggressive as you rev it up. Just the way a performance lux car should be, I think. The car seems to have a lot more top-end power; it barks the tires real nice going into 2nd gear now :D

Total cost: $170 including the install

I would recommend this to anybody. It's fairly inexpensive, and should produce a couple more MPGs too. Just find a good local exhaust shop (mine was done at The Wonderful Muffler Man in Roseville, MN), order the mufflers, and you will be set.

I only have one pic now; I will get a couple more tomorrow in the daylight...

post-3-1100128666.jpg

A buck seventy five is more than cheap! It's next to fee. You cannot even get the hood opende for that kind of money. I think it looks excellent. You didn't mention it, but do you see any low end performace? About mpg: it will probally decrease mileage because, as a rule of thumb, an increase in flow is a decrease in mpg. But if a few miles per gallon either way is a concern, what the heck are you doing buying a Cacillac?

Wow -- that muffler job looks EXCELLENT! The pipes are hung perfectly and the tips are exactly centered in the cutouts! Looks better than stock! All that for under $200 is DEFINITELY a great deal!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 1 month later...

I'm thinkin of going with flowmaster 40 series but know I may check into those.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Did you happen to get a look at the resonator that was removed? How much of a restriction is it? Does it have a smaller internal diameter? I am having my exhaust done next week and was wondering if I should get rid of the resonator and replace it with a 3" Dynomax Bullet muffler instead (basically a fancy glass-pack).

I think I may just leave the front of the exhaust alone... it looks like it flows pretty good, it's already mandrel bent from the factory.

Figured I would show a shot of what's in my driveway...

Wife's '99 Mustang GT, my STS, my '00 Z28. Missing is the wife's '02 silver Explorer.

Thats a good little collection of nice cars you've got going on there LOL! Nice Camaro! B)

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Did you happen to get a look at the resonator that was removed?  How much of a restriction is it?  Does it have a smaller internal diameter?...I think I may just leave the front of the exhaust alone... it looks like it flows pretty good, it's already mandrel bent from the factory.

The '83-'87 performance Oldsmobiles (Hurst/Olds and 442) used a dual exhaust system that officially contained no mufflers. There were two "mufflers" in front of the axle straddling the driveshaft and they were officially called resonators. The pipe diameter went from 2.25" down to about 1.75" inside the resonator. It was straight-through, and looked for all intents and purposes to be a glasspack.

I'm sure the factory resonator is nothing more than this...a glasspack design that simply reduces a little bit of noise.

I would leave your system fore of the mufflers alone. It's fully stainless-steel and as you note, mandrel-bent, right from the factory. Cutting and splicing different pieces in will only introduce the possibility of corrosion. I'd restrain the exhaust mods to mufflers alone, if it were me.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Figured I would show a shot of what's in my driveway...

Wife's '99 Mustang GT, my STS, my '00 Z28.  Missing is the wife's '02 silver Explorer.

3 nice cars and an SUV, and only a single car garage! Ouch... that has to hurt in those MN winters! I'm assuming you store the Stang and the Camaro (not good winter cars!)

Nice pics and details on the STS exhaust. I had considered the Summit mufflers at the time I went with my Dyno's. I just hadn't heard of anyone that had used them. Lot more fun to drive with the modded exhaust isn't it? :D

I'm assuming your watching those Vikes tomorrow? Go Packers!! LOL :P

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Archived