CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

changing crankshaft position sensor

RAP

Hello,just recentley joined this forum and was hoping that you might be able to help me. I have a 2000 DTS with a P0386 diagnostic code indicating a problem with crankshft position sensor B. I am under the assumption that sensor B is the top one of the two sensors, so I am looking for confirmation. Also I was told by a not totally reliable source that replacing any of the two sensors require me to reprogram the power control module. Is this true? If so it takes the repair out of my hands.

No need to tune anything. Though you should just change both while you are in there doing the repair. Its not very difficult. Make sure to use sensors that were not made in mexico.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

:welcomesmiley:

Keep us posted on the repair.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

fairly easy repair but after the years the connector glues itself to the sensor. replace them both to be safe

Thanks for the help and for welcoming me. Changed both sensors as recommended but not as easy as I thought. The motor mount as well as the oil filter assembly make this repair challenging. Next project is the front wheel bearing assemblies, noticed some play in them while working on the crankshaft position sensors. Does anybody have any helpful tips? It seems pretty straight forward but I never assume when it comes to this car. Thanks again!!

Thanks for the help and for welcoming me. Changed both sensors as recommended but not as easy as I thought. The motor mount as well as the oil filter assembly make this repair challenging. Next project is the front wheel bearing assemblies, noticed some play in them while working on the crankshaft position sensors. Does anybody have any helpful tips? It seems pretty straight forward but I never assume when it comes to this car. Thanks again!!

Good job! Hopefully you removed the oil filter and adapter?

For the wheel bearing, make sure its wheel bearing and not ball joints or tie rod ends. Have someone move the wheel and watch the ball joints and tie rods for movement. Or use a pry bar and see if those joints move. Wheel bearings arent cheap so you dont want to replace it if you dont have to. But if you do then they are just like any other, remove all the brakes and unbolt the whole hub assembly. Probably has the abs sensor plug on it. Probably have to remove the lower ball joint from the lower control arm also to slide the axle out of the hub. Thats how it goes on most all fwd cars.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

The front wheel bearing is part of the hub in the GM parts catalog. If you plan to press out the old bearing and press in a new one, you will need to get the wheel bearing from someone other than GM.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 7 years later...

All I had to remove was the plastic undercover, and not mind working my hand in and out of there, with the help of some long needle-nose and a long screwdriver, it wasn't too bad. 

Now I read up there that I don't need to reprogram, even though the Haynes manual says I need to have it done. So I guess I just drive it until the check engine light goes off?

18 hours ago, Alan (2 Caddy's) M. said:

All I had to remove was the plastic undercover, and not mind working my hand in and out of there, with the help of some long needle-nose and a long screwdriver, it wasn't too bad. 

Now I read up there that I don't need to reprogram, even though the Haynes manual says I need to have it done. So I guess I just drive it until the check engine light goes off?

Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes.  While both terminals are disconnected touch the cables together.  This will cause the system to go though a "reboot".   The light should be off.  If the light comes on, check the codes and post here.  There are 2 crank sensors which did you replace?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

6 hours ago, BodybyFisher said:

Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes.  While both terminals are disconnected touch the cables together.  This will cause the system to go thought a "reboot".   The light should be off.  If the light comes on, check the codes and post here.  There are 2 crank sensors which did you replace?

both, and thanks

Good, see what rebooting the system does and get back to us.  

You will need to drive for about 25 miles of varied driving for the system to run all tests.  Then check for P or powertrain codes and report here.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived