CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No oil change from dealership

Well, I guess that I am not getting an oil change from the dealership here. After multiple calls to the dealer all they can do is send me to someone's voice mail box and I don't get called back. :(

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Well, I guess that I am not getting an oil change from the dealership here. After multiple calls to the dealer all they can do is send me to someone's voice mail box and I don't get called back. :(

That sucks...

My service guy may take a little bit to call me back... but he always does...

Posted Image

Perhaps your service tech is on vacation? Did you ask for someone specific or first available? Occasionally the front receptionist is chosen for reasons other than efficiency.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Sorry if the question is dumb but Im curious why would you go to a dealership for a oil change? Is it free like with a factory warranty or its where you bought the car?

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

My wife just bought a Hyundia Santa Fe, I have gotten about 10 emails and phone calls from the dealer and service department to make sure I am happy and to bring it in.

This is what GM/Cadillac needs to pay more attention to CUSTOMER SERVICE and catering to their future buyers. Wake up GM/Cadillac, you are competing with aggressive competition, return calls and solve problems

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I was taking it to the dealer as that seemed to be what everyone advised towards. Too many questions in regards to oil filter. I almost bought a Mobile 1 filter at Autozone to take to Walmart for their Mobile 1 oil change. As weird as it is, they told me on the phone that they could do the oil change with Mobile 1 but did not carry the filters.

Just to update: The guy did finally call me back. I don't know how the service department works there but the receptionist said that she could only direct me to specific people and she could not see who was sitting at their desk and who was not. She then said that she would transfer me to the cashier as she was within eye shot of the service rep's desks. I got the cashier's voice mail.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Oh, back to my Autozone story. I go into the autozone and some guy pops out from the back of the store to greet me. I told him that I needed an oil filter. He comes to the front of the store and the phone rings. He answered and instead of asking them to hold, he starts assisting them while I stand there. After a few minutes he hangs up and comes over to the counter where I am standing. I again tell him that I am in need of an oil filter. At this point a gal comes in the door and starts talking to him. She comes up and stands right next to me and they start conversing. I stood there for about a minute and then told him that I would find it else where and I left.

Customer service is lost. As Clark Howard would say, we have "Customer No Service".

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Autozone, Pepboys and all of the quick oil change places are in the same boat for me

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Autozone, Pepboys and all of the quick oil change places are in the same boat for me

Around here, some of the quick oil change places will let me stand there and watch them.

I will do business with them.

Around here, some of the quick oil change places will "NOT" let me stand there and watch them.

I will "NOT"do business with them.

Posted Image

sorry but ME myself I dont let anyone at all but me maintain my vehicles. I have a very large trust issue with almost any shop.Maybe I have worked fo too many paces and seen too much, Even the dealers. I just have rotten luck when it comes to other people touching my vehicles. It is almost like when they fix one thing they make something else break in th hopes Ibring it back to them

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

sorry but ME myself I dont let anyone at all but me maintain my vehicles. I have a very large trust issue with almost any shop.Maybe I have worked fo too many paces and seen too much, Even the dealers. I just have rotten luck when it comes to other people touching my vehicles. It is almost like when they fix one thing they make something else break in th hopes Ibring it back to them

I always used to be the same way. The only thing that I would ever take a vehicle in for was alignments and tires. Then I started adding on some pounds. And it just becomes more worth while to take it somewhere. I actually probably would still do it at this point if it was not for the disposal of the oil. Ya' end up with a pan of nasty oil that has to be poured somewhere and taken to a recycling place.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Ive got video of my dad teaching me to change oil on my moms 1986 Chevy Sprint when I was 6 years old. Thats pretty much where it started for me :)

In my 14 years of driving I have only taken my car to have someone else change the oil once. And that was enough lol. I had a 84 Cutlass I swapped a chevy 350 into it. I was at a jiffy lube. They brought up on their computer how I needed new wipers, new PCV valve, new air filter, all kinds of stuff. I didnt even know they offered that stuff. I said this obviously isnt even the stock engine so how can you say I need that stuff from what your computer tells you? Then working as a parts delivery driver I saw how repair shops make their money, their deceptions they use by what parts I regularly deliver to certain shops, and how jiffy lube REALLY makes money, not on oil changes but the other crap they sell!! For those reasons alone I am skeptical of every shop of every kind.

Also my dad used to take advantage of the free oil changes different dealerships offered but after they tighten the oil plug so hard that it strips the oil pan and tighten oil filters soooo tight that he had to literally tear the filter apart to get it off, he will never go back either.

I am pleased and proud to say I have not taken any of my family's cars to a repair shop of any kind for almost 10 years. With the help of this site and the internet in general, nearly any repair is possible by myself with the allowance of time. And since I find it "fun" to repair my own cars and people close to me, its a great deal for me.

Oil changes are not the funnest but I would be honestly feel embarassed and belittled to go to a shop to have my oil changed and the people working there look and talk to me like I know nothing about cars lol.

Ive got video of my dad teaching me to change oil on my moms 1986 Chevy Sprint when I was 6 years old. Thats pretty much where it started for me :)

In my 14 years of driving I have only taken my car to have someone else change the oil once. And that was enough lol. I had a 84 Cutlass I swapped a chevy 350 into it. I was at a jiffy lube. They brought up on their computer how I needed new wipers, new PCV valve, new air filter, all kinds of stuff. I didnt even know they offered that stuff. I said this obviously isnt even the stock engine so how can you say I need that stuff from what your computer tells you? Then working as a parts delivery driver I saw how repair shops make their money, their deceptions they use by what parts I regularly deliver to certain shops, and how jiffy lube REALLY makes money, not on oil changes but the other crap they sell!! For those reasons alone I am skeptical of every shop of every kind.

Also my dad used to take advantage of the free oil changes different dealerships offered but after they tighten the oil plug so hard that it strips the oil pan and tighten oil filters soooo tight that he had to literally tear the filter apart to get it off, he will never go back either.

I am pleased and proud to say I have not taken any of my family's cars to a repair shop of any kind for almost 10 years. With the help of this site and the internet in general, nearly any repair is possible by myself with the allowance of time. And since I find it "fun" to repair my own cars and people close to me, its a great deal for me.

Oil changes are not the funnest but I would be honestly feel embarassed and belittled to go to a shop to have my oil changed and the people working there look and talk to me like I know nothing about cars lol.

I agree with most/all of what you said...but... :)

I too worked with my Dad working on cars and trucks... starting in about 1950.

I don't like letting anyone else work on my cars either...and up until recently, I did all of my own work.

But now, I am getting on up there in years, and with stiff joints and fairly bad arthritis, I no longer enjoy getting under my cars and getting dirty.

My Dealer and a couple of independent places around here are fairly good...and I use them for oil changes.

They will let me stand around and watch what they are doing, so I don't have to trust them TOO MUCH... :) :)

In addition, I usually have coupons from my Cadillac dealer and I can get the oil changed there as cheap as if I did it myself, so I just let them do it.

I got a coupon today in the mail for a Synthetic Oil change and 4 tire rotation for 55 bucks.

You can't hardly buy 8 quarts of synthetic oil and a good filter for that price.. and I don't have to get under the car and do it...:)

Posted Image

Wow. I don't get good coupons like that.

My working on cars did not start with my dad. It was July 24th of 1986 and he went home to be with the Lord. I was 2 weeks shy of 8 years old. I had to throw that out there. Everyone has "Dad" memories but mine ended at 7.

With that, I would not have worked on cars most likely with him. My mother told me that while he was smart with his money, he would take his cars in. He always told her that it was more worth while to pay someone to do the work while he did other things then if he were to work on them himself.

Quick Lube scares! I worked at a Valvoline Quick Lube when I was 17 years old. Anyway, I witnessed one of the guys cross thread a drain plug. I want to say that it was a Saturn. It was one of those that had the nut welded to the inside of the drain pan. I know because he kept wrenching on it until the weld broke and it freely spun. The manager came down in the pit and their solution was to pry around the plug to widen the hole until they could get the drain plug and nut to put into the pan. They then used what they called an emergency plug. If I recall, it was a hand tighten plug with a big rubber ring. It had a shaft that went to a butterfly deal that went in and gripped the back of the pan opening. Then filled the oil and sent them out the door.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I agree with most/all of what you said...but... :)

I too worked with my Dad working on cars and trucks... starting in about 1950.

I don't like letting anyone else work on my cars either...and up until recently, I did all of my own work.

But now, I am getting on up there in years, and with stiff joints and fairly bad arthritis, I no longer enjoy getting under my cars and getting dirty.

My Dealer and a couple of independent places around here are fairly good...and I use them for oil changes.

They will let me stand around and watch what they are doing, so I don't have to trust them TOO MUCH... :) :)

In addition, I usually have coupons from my Cadillac dealer and I can get the oil changed there as cheap as if I did it myself, so I just let them do it.

I got a coupon today in the mail for a Synthetic Oil change and 4 tire rotation for 55 bucks.

You can't hardly buy 8 quarts of synthetic oil and a good filter for that price.. and I don't have to get under the car and do it...:)

My dad is getting up there in years too. Luckily (for him) his son is nearby to help do the tire rotations and oil changes :):(

Anyway that sounds good though, when you find a GOOD place to take your car you have to stick with it, common sense. Unfortunately I never found that good place lol.

Plus, you are probably like my dad in that now that hes older he doesnt want to hassle ANY with ANY kind of repairs so its just buy a new car and trade it in when the warranty is up and let the dealership mess with anything that breaks or any recalls or whatever (except oil changes). Id like to get to that level someday too :)

My working on cars did not start with my dad. It was July 24th of 1986 and he went home to be with the Lord. I was 2 weeks shy of 8 years old. I had to throw that out there. Everyone has "Dad" memories but mine ended at 7.

With that, I would not have worked on cars most likely with him. My mother told me that while he was smart with his money, he would take his cars in. He always told her that it was more worth while to pay someone to do the work while he did other things then if he were to work on them himself.

Quick Lube scares! I worked at a Valvoline Quick Lube when I was 17 years old. Anyway, I witnessed one of the guys cross thread a drain plug. I want to say that it was a Saturn. It was one of those that had the nut welded to the inside of the drain pan. I know because he kept wrenching on it until the weld broke and it freely spun. The manager came down in the pit and their solution was to pry around the plug to widen the hole until they could get the drain plug and nut to put into the pan. They then used what they called an emergency plug. If I recall, it was a hand tighten plug with a big rubber ring. It had a shaft that went to a butterfly deal that went in and gripped the back of the pan opening. Then filled the oil and sent them out the door.

LOL. I bet thats not your only story working there. I felt bad dropping off parts to those places knowing the serpentine belt I was selling the quick lube cost them $17 and the struggling lady chasing her 3 kids around the place was going to be charged $45 just for that belt that she could have got at oreillys for $25. Makes you sick but thats how those businesses survive so what can you do but warn everyone you know and help out in any way you can.

Tire shops arent much higher than quick lubes!! I remember being 16 and getting new tires and not knowing much about cars and montgomery wards tire center tech came in and told me I really needed new tie rod ends. Hell I didnt know what a tie rod end was. He told me $250 and that made me say no. 10 years later I still had that car and never did it need the tie rods changed. Alot older and wiser I seen what they were trying to do. $20 in parts and the rest labor profit for some parts that are simple to change.

I hear from women ALL the time about shops that want to do this and do that to their car. Its completely rediculous things that are obvious scams targeting women. Its disgusting some of the business practices.

Delivering parts I also would notice certain shops were always changing ball joints or always buying tuneup parts or always buying tie rods. They get good at one area of repair and then tell every customer their ball joints are bad or it needs a full tuneup and its easy work for them that they can make big profits on.

And now with the recession, Im sure these practices are still going on or worse.

I agree.

Most shops are crooks...

I have had all kind of tricks tried on me at different times.

Up until a few years ago... NOBODY... and I mean NOBODY worked on y cars but ME.

I was the only one I felt I could trust to do it RIGHT.

At my dealer I use the same service writer at all times.

I always call ahead and make sure he is going to be there.

We came to an understanding several years ago about my car and what it may or may not need to be done to it.

He is free to "SUGGEST" things... but he very seldom does.

He knows that I know what the car needs and he knows that I am very particular about it.

He also knows I can take one apart and put it back together.

He knows I have had race cars and hobby cars all my life and that I "CAN" work on them... I just no longer want to.

He knows that I bring my car i for what is needed and not for a bunch of made up crap that they think I might fall for.

I am also free to walk around and go back in the service area where my car is being worked on.

But I also understand that service writers like that are few and far between, which is why I usually take him a dozen donuts every time I take the car in for something.

He knows me by name when I call him and he knows what car I drive and the history of the car since I bought it new.

If whatever they are doing is going to take more than a couple of hours, he arranges a loaner for me, so I don't have to sit around all day waiting on my car.

Posted Image

LOL. I bet thats not your only story working there. I felt bad dropping off parts to those places knowing the serpentine belt I was selling the quick lube cost them $17 and the struggling lady chasing her 3 kids around the place was going to be charged $45 just for that belt that she could have got at oreillys for $25. Makes you sick but thats how those businesses survive so what can you do but warn everyone you know and help out in any way you can.

Tire shops arent much higher than quick lubes!! I remember being 16 and getting new tires and not knowing much about cars and montgomery wards tire center tech came in and told me I really needed new tie rod ends. Hell I didnt know what a tie rod end was. He told me $250 and that made me say no. 10 years later I still had that car and never did it need the tie rods changed. Alot older and wiser I seen what they were trying to do. $20 in parts and the rest labor profit for some parts that are simple to change.

I hear from women ALL the time about shops that want to do this and do that to their car. Its completely rediculous things that are obvious scams targeting women. Its disgusting some of the business practices.

Delivering parts I also would notice certain shops were always changing ball joints or always buying tuneup parts or always buying tie rods. They get good at one area of repair and then tell every customer their ball joints are bad or it needs a full tuneup and its easy work for them that they can make big profits on.

And now with the recession, Im sure these practices are still going on or worse.

I remember as a child my mother and I taking our 1984 Riviera to Monkey Wards and they claimed ball joints and tie rod ends. We proceeded with only the tasks that we brought it there for. We took it for a second opinion elsewhere and everything was fine.

Another old time Valvoline story...We had a new Lincoln Town Car come in for an oil change. The bottom side tech left the oil filter strap wrench on the filter. Customer hit a bump downtown Grand Rapids and the wrench punctured the filter. Oil drained out and customer did not have enough sense to kill the engine when the oil pressure light came on. Valvoline had to buy him a new engine.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I agree.

Most shops are crooks...

Up until a few years ago... NOBODY... and I mean NOBODY worked on y cars but ME.

We came to an understanding several years ago about my car and what it may or may not need to be done to it.

He knows that I know what the car needs and he knows that I am very particular about it.

He knows I have had race cars and hobby cars all my life and that I "CAN" work on them... I just no longer want to.

He knows that I bring my car i for what is needed and not for a bunch of made up crap that they think I might fall for.

I am also free to walk around and go back in the service area where my car is being worked on.

But I also understand that service writers like that are few and far between, which is why I usually take him a dozen donuts every time I take the car in for something.

He knows me by name when I call him and he knows what car I drive and the history of the car since I bought it new.

If whatever they are doing is going to take more than a couple of hours, he arranges a loaner for me, so I don't have to sit around all day waiting on my car.

I have two private mechanic shops here in Tulsa that I trust...to a point. Both are honest but I probably would know trust their knowledge on these newer Cadillacs. One of the two I have to specify when I am going to pick the vehicle back up. I have tried giving him a couple of open ended diag projects and both went 30+ days without being touched.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Oh man do I have a few stories about thieves and horror stories

They are all about raping the customer, it drives me mad. My wife thinks that working on cars is "such a blue collar thing to do" and we should be "above that" and take our car to be repaired. Talk about a total mismatch when it comes to that. Her Aunt just took he car in for an O2 sensor light and it cost her $500 when she balked they said that it includes COMPUTER ANALYSIS of $125. How about a local dealer that my friend had her 08 CTS TOWED to when it dropped dead in the middle of the street because of timing chains with 10K miles on it and they refused to provide a loaner car or rental car, which she personally spent $350 for. When she told me this story, of course I knew about the timing chaini issue and she was down on the car and felt so badly treated that she was selling it and buying a MERCEDES. I told her to call the regional manager, this was a KNOWN problem, and she should be compensated for the rental car, this car is marketed as thier BEST and marketed to women!!!!! The GM regional manager told her that THEY were billed and paid the dealer for a rental car by the dealer!!!!!!!, and SHE did not get one!!!!!! Needless to say she was reimbursed. She had lost confidence in the car because of her experience and asked me if she should keep it.

I basically feel that one out of two people you meet are aholes and I dont trust anyone. As someone once said, the more I get to know people, the more I love my dog. I would have been much more successful in life had I not thought that way, but 'people' let me down all the time.

EXAMPLE

We had a member here in October 2010, he was going to timesert his engine after months of diagnosis with him. I trusted him enough to pack up, insure send him my timesert kid. He was going to send it back in 2 weeks. I spoke to him last week and he keeps giving me excuses. I am a trusting guy. But experiences like this hurt my trust in people. When someone is nice to you, you return the favor, no excuses

When you borrow anything from someone it should be returned in as good if not better condition!!!

I took a car to a local shop for alignment, told them it had new ball joints that must be greased also. When I picked up the car I asked specifically about the grease, answer-done. So when I got home I checked. Guess what I saw. Yep. It needed 90 degree certs to grease or the wheel removed. Neither happened. Next shop :wub: I sure cant do my own alignment.

I agree.

Most shops are crooks...

<--------Jealous :) You got a good thing going I dont fault you one bit

Oh man do I have a few stories about thieves and horror stories

They are all about raping the customer, it drives me mad. My wife thinks that working on cars is "such a blue collar thing to do" and we should be "above that" and take our car to be repaired. Talk about a total mismatch when it comes to that. Her Aunt just took he car in for an O2 sensor light and it cost her $500 when she balked they said that it includes COMPUTER ANALYSIS of $125. How about a local dealer that my friend had her 08 CTS TOWED to when it dropped dead in the middle of the street because of timing chains with 10K miles on it and they refused to provide a loaner car or rental car, which she personally spent $350 for. When she told me this story, of course I knew about the timing chaini issue and she was down on the car and felt so badly treated that she was selling it and buying a MERCEDES. I told her to call the regional manager, this was a KNOWN problem, and she should be compensated for the rental car, this car is marketed as thier BEST and marketed to women!!!!! The GM regional manager told her that THEY were billed and paid the dealer for a rental car by the dealer!!!!!!!, and SHE did not get one!!!!!! Needless to say she was reimbursed. She had lost confidence in the car because of her experience and asked me if she should keep it.

I basically feel that one out of two people you meet are aholes and I dont trust anyone. As someone once said, the more I get to know people, the more I love my dog. I would have been much more successful in life had I not thought that way, but 'people' let me down all the time.

EXAMPLE

We had a member here in October 2010, he was going to timesert his engine after months of diagnosis with him. I trusted him enough to pack up, insure send him my timesert kid. He was going to send it back in 2 weeks. I spoke to him last week and he keeps giving me excuses. I am a trusting guy. But experiences like this hurt my trust in people. When someone is nice to you, you return the favor, no excuses

talking about we are "too good" to repair our own cars...

A month ago a lady I work closely with at work tells me her 05 Chevy Equinox 40k miles 1 owner the a/c isnt as cold as it should be. She took it to a "family friend" and he said the whole system needed replaced or something close to that and its $500. Her husband said ok lets get it fixed. If it wasnt for her, her husband would spend every dime they have without even thinking twice. I said hold on, if it had a big leak it would have leaked out over the winter and not be cold at all right now. I explained to her that over time the gases can leak out on their own and need recharged, hers had never been serviced. I said if its leaking there will be oil residue around the leak. I checked all hoses and compressor and condenser and its bone dry, and I highly doubt the evap was leaking. I said go buy a can of freon and Ill fix it for you. She tells her husband all this and he tells her to quit being a cheapass and fix it right. Her mother also tells her to just get it done from the "experienced" guy. Well she finally told them to go to hell and had me put more freon in it. A month later here we are and no problems. Stop being a cheapass huh?

Same thing happened to me with my DTS a/c. I had a bad high pressure switch and took it to a few shops and they all said it was clogged and would need a whole new system $1000. I brought my problem here and ended up replacing the switch, putting some oil in it and freon and it was good to go for a year til I sold it. People really like replacing the whole a/c setup I guess. $1000 fix huh?

We are going to need a horror story topic if this keeps going :)

Ok, I had to cancel the dealer appointment due to time constraints. My company is selling out and closing our facilities by Friday. Anyway...

I was bound and determined to get the oil changed today and did so. Yes, I did pay Walmart to do it but supervised and supplied them with the oil and filter. The only Mobile 1 oil that I could find that was rated for the 12,500 or higher that the car is engineered for was this: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

I also got the extended performance filter. I am hoping that this is the right stuff.

Thoughts anyone?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Jeff,

Sorry to hear your company is closing down.

Hope you have something else to fall back on.

That flavor of Mobil1 is just fine for your car...:D

You did good... :) :)

Posted Image

Archived