CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hello, I am new here and any info would be greatly appreciated. I have a 96 Cad Deville. The air is charged and has good pressure, the clutch works right, the blower blows good but the problem is, it does not blow out cold air unless I am going at least 45 MPH. Could it be a vacuum leak or actuator?

Are you certain it has a full refrigerant charge? How?

Are the radiator fans turning on when the A/C turns on?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Like Bruce said...

If it is full of Freon... my first guess is the fans are not working at low speed like they should.

Yes it is full of freon, I checked it with gauges, and yes the cooling fans are coming on even when idling. I was wondering if maybe with the higher speeds if there was more vacuum and opening the doors to the cooling part better?

Actually vacuum would be higher when idling than when driving.

Is air blowing out of the dash vents at all when it is idling?

Or is the air blowing out the bottom heater vent or the upper defroster vent ?

Posted Image

Check your condenser to be sure it is free of dead bugs. Also be sure that the lower splash shield and upper radiator sight shield are in place. Without them the air flow will take the path of least resistance and be diverted down (or up) rather than through the condenser.

Air is blowing out of the dash vents and also yes all the Sheilds are in place and the condenser is clean.

Hmmm... Something is obviously wrong here...the problem is going to be figuring out "WHAT"...

Correct me if I am wrong...

You say all shields are in place, the cooling fans come on at idle when the AC is on and there are no obstructions in front of the condenser and radiator.

I would try this... with the AC on, the car idling, and after it starts blowing warm air...hold the RPM to about 2000 for a couple of minutes... see if the AC gets cold.

If it does or does NOT... please report back...

If it does get cold when raising the RPM....There is a possibility that there is either an obstruction in the lines somewhere, or the reed valves in the compressor are bad.

Posted Image

Air is blowing out of the dash vents and also yes all the Sheilds are in place and the condenser is clean.

Hmmm... Something is obviously wrong here...the problem is going to be figuring out "WHAT"...

You say all shields are in place, the cooling fans come on at idle when the AC is on and there are no obstructions in front of the condenser and radiator.

I would try this... with the AC on, the car idling, and after it starts blowing warm air...hold the RPM to about 2000 for a couple of minutes... see if the AC gets cold.

If it does get cold when raising the RPM....There is a possibility that there is either an obstruction in the lines somewhere, or the reed valves in the compressor are bad.

I second this. possibly the orifics tube is clogged

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I second this. possibly the orifics tube is clogged

If the orifice tube was clogged, the system would not cool well at any speed. I'd have to check the shop manual but both fans should be on at high speed when the A/C is turned on. What were the high and low pressure readings, outside temperature, relative humidity? WHen traveling at 45+ MPH, what is the vent outlet temperature?

The proper method to verify a full charge is to recover and weigh the refrigerant. It needs to be 2.0 lbs. Pressures are OK for troubleshooting the system but

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived