CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 STS, this started last fall but went away. When the outside temp is above 80 deg or so he engine will have a miss intermittently. The hotter the temp the worse it gets. There are no codes posted. Changed the plugs cleaned the TB and EGR no change. Running the AC makes it worse but its still there when off. I need to get this fixed before vacation next month. Thanks in advance.

could be wrong but it sounds like a overheating coil. the warmer it gets the more it misses

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

No codes at all. Very sure of that. Has anyone had a coil pack overheat before?

I just took a hair drier and heated up each coil with no change.

Could a clogged fuel filter cause this?

Have you checked the resistance of the plug wires.

As temperature increases... resistance increases...

A wire with high resistance may be causing your miss...

Posted Image

Well now its 50degs and its still missing. So much for the heat only affecting it. I drove it over 100 miles on the interstate and sometimes under hard acceleration I could feel it stumble. Pulled the codes when I got home pulled a U1064 serial data failure that's all. I don't see how that could be related. Going to replace the plug wires next.....

Well now its 50degs and its still missing. So much for the heat only affecting it. I drove it over 100 miles on the interstate and sometimes under hard acceleration I could feel it stumble. Pulled the codes when I got home pulled a U1064 serial data failure that's all. I don't see how that could be related. Going to replace the plug wires next.....

You should not just parts replace.

Check the ignition wires with an ohm meter and record the resistance along with the length of the wires in inches. Determine the resistance per inch the bad wire will stick out.

Also look into both ends of the ignition wires and look for burned out cores that happens but that should show up with the resistance test

You dont want to simply replace them without checking them out.

By the way, heating the coils with a hair dryer is not a good way to diagnose them, what you did by buying one and swapping it into each position is a good way to diagnose a bad coil

What concerns me is that you do not show a code for a misfire, with that kind of miss, you should get a P030x code set. No P0300's at all? No flashing Check Engine Light?

Typically a problem that gets worse with warm up and that is intermittant we have seen is the PCM, it could also be the ignition module, keep that in mind.

Have you determined which cylinder is misfiring?

Do you smell fuel?

GORAN asked you a question is the SES light on? You did NOT respond. This is a BRAINSTORMING session, we will feed off of each other here. Please answer questions DIRECTLY. Like this>>>> No the SES is not on, or Yes the SES is on, or the SES is flashing... that is clear

A flashing CEL/SES indicates a misfire is occurring.

Please check resistance of wires, inspect them closely, check for vacuum leaks also a vacuum leak can cause a miss.

Has the intake manifold been off recently?

Are you losing coolant? Is it overheating at all?

Have you used any injector cleaner? Don't use it, I am just asking.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You should not just parts replace.

Check the ignition wires with an ohm meter and record the resistance along with the length of the wires in inches. Determine the resistance per inch the bad wire will stick out.

Need to purchace a new one might do it to day then test

Also look into both ends of the ignition wires and look for burned out cores that happens but that should show up with the resistance test

will do maybe today

You dont want to simply replace them without checking them out.

By the way, heating the coils with a hair dryer is not a good way to diagnose them, what you did by buying one and swapping it into each position is a good way to diagnose a bad coil

What concerns me is that you do not show a code for a misfire, with that kind of miss, you should get a P030x code set. No P0300's at all? No flashing Check Engine Light?

As said no codes except U1064. No other lights on or flashing of any kind.

Typically a problem that gets worse with warm up and that is intermittant we have seen is the PCM, it could also be the ignition module, keep that in mind.

Have you determined which cylinder is misfiring?

No, and how would you do that inspect the plugs amd wire ends?

Do you smell fuel?

No and also inspected the FPR vac hose no fuel there.

GORAN asked you a question is the SES light on? You did NOT respond. This is a BRAINSTORMING session, we will feed off of each other here. Please answer questions DIRECTLY. Like this>>>> No the SES is not on, or Yes the SES is on, or the SES is flashing... that is clear

A flashing CEL/SES indicates a misfire is occurring.

No flashing lights or dash lights of any kind.

Please check resistance of wires, inspect them closely, check for vacuum leaks also a vacuum leak can cause a miss.

inspected for a vacuum leak can find none

Has the intake manifold been off recently?

No

Are you losing coolant? Is it overheating at all?

Never overheats in the 6 yeays I have had it and coolent level is steady I check it weekly

Have you used any injector cleaner? Don't use it, I am just asking.

I tried some last year when problem first surfaced and tried some again yesterday Techron with Sunoco 93 then an Itialian tuneup. It seemed to happen less but it is still there. need to drive it some more today.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you have 4 coils on that engine correct?

Pull the ignition wires out of each coil and inspect the contacts in the coil for corrosion, you might buy a small wire brush and clean them, also, when you plug the wires back in, be sure there is a positive tight connection at the coll.

Have you pulled the plugs and looked at them? They sometimes lose their platinum pads and you may have a bad plug

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

"Running the AC makes it worse but its still there when off"

hey did you perform the idle learn procedure?

The AC on means engine under load. Idle learn procedure includes AC on for load conditions !

I removed and cleaned the MAP, EGR and idle control awhile back with no change. It is missing at speed now but intermittently. Still no codes at all. Also the hotter the weather the worse the miss.

Ok just saw that you bought a coil and swapped it in with no change

It hard to remember what was done and not done sometimes

Check for vacuum leaks, snug down the intake manifold bolts and see if any seem loose

What kind of fuel are you using (grade)

Have you put a fuel pressure gage on the fuel rail to check pressure at idle?

Ok just saw that you bought a coil and swapped it in with no change

It hard to remember what was done and not done sometimes

Check for vacuum leaks, snug down the intake manifold bolts and see if any seem loose

What kind of fuel are you using (grade)

Have you put a fuel pressure gage on the fuel rail to check pressure at idle?

First I disconnected a plug wire and it didn't have the same sound or symptom as what I was experiencing. With this in mind I really began to suspect the fuel system. I didn't have a gauge to check the pressure so I replaced the fuel filter. So far so good and the filter was severely clogged as I could hardly blow through the inlet side. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. I will update this in about a week.

Archived