CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

05 SRX oil change gone bad

My neighbor tried to take the top off of the oil filter housing during an oil change and things didn't go as planned.

I was thinking that I could use the info in this thread http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=16008 to help him out, but if anyone has other suggestions I could use them.

Thanks

post-16006-130257263793_thumb.jpg

post-16006-130257264479_thumb.jpg

I assume you are referring to getting the broken cap off. There may be enough of the hex to use a socket (for removal). Maybe a strap wrench (if there is enough clearance) and then there is always visegrips. Good luck.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Ouch. What was the process that led to this? Normally one twists the cap off -- it has very fine threads on it. Now would be a good time to get a replacement cap lined up with the local dealer btw.

It is normally threaded (righty tighty lefty loosey). It is difficult to reach with a wrench, but need only be on hand tight to begin with. With the huge rip in the top it should be even easier to grab and turn?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Tightening torque is to be set at 18 lb/ft and the service manual instructs to oil the threads prior to installation.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

• 2 weeks later...

My neighbor tried to take the top off of the oil filter housing during an oil change and things didn't go as planned.

I was thinking that I could use the info in this thread http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=16008 to help him out, but if anyone has other suggestions I could use them.

Thanks

six-point socket will help you removing the cap. I'm not pretty sure about the socket wrench :) Could be better, if you try with 6-point socket.

Archived