CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I have a 1997 Cadillac Deville D'elegance and the oil light is flickering and the computer is saying shut engine off low oil pressure. I got a diagnostic but they could not detrermine what it was. They told me it was not the oil pump ,fuel pump or censors. They said it could be internal engine ware. The car does not smoke,run hot or knock and it is not leaking.

welcome to the screwed up world of cadillac

That is no way to welcome a new member to our Cadillac forum.

What is problem with you and Cadillacs?

This is a Cadillac "ENTHUSIAST FORUM"..

This is "NOT" a place to constantly bash the automobiles that MOST of is know and love.

Didn't your Mother ever tell you... if you can't say anything nice or useful... just keep quite??

Posted Image

I have a 1997 Cadillac Deville D'elegance and the oil light is flickering and the computer is saying shut engine off low oil pressure. I got a diagnostic but they could not detrermine what it was. They told me it was not the oil pump ,fuel pump or censors. They said it could be internal engine ware. The car does not smoke,run hot or knock and it is not leaking.

:welcomesmiley: Bestwife1..

Please ignore the post by johnnyjaws.

He is not the typical user of this forum.

I am sorry I can't help you with your specific problem...

but there are some others that have had the same problem that you are having and I am sure they will be along shortly to help you.

Posted Image

As far as I know, it is possible for the case half gasket to go bad and leak inside of the engine, and that would cause a drop in oil pressure. The case half seal (or gasket) is the one "one step up" from the oil pan gasket (the lowest one on the engine). It can leak externally OR internally, so that you can get a drop in oil pressure without any visible leakage. If this is the case, it would have to be re-sealed, which is a bit complicated because the engine has to go out of the car. Other internal engine wear could of course also be a possibility in any case like this, and it is really hard to tell without taking it apart, which unfortunately becomes expensive. I take it the the oil light flickers once the engine warms up (when the oil thins out)?

There is plenty of info available on the oil light flashing, it happens on higher mileage NSs, it could be bearing wear, case half seal leaks, or the oil manifold leaking internally that drops the oil pressure. Its part of what happens to an aging Northstar. Seals begin to leak, bearings wear, leaks develop. They are not cheap or easy to fix when the engine must be removed

You could solve this by using Rotella 15W40 diesel oil, it was recommened for the pre-00 NSs with their rubbing element lifters and it solved my oil light immediately.

In cold weather you can use their 10W40, see this

http://www.shell.com...mn_Q8_2008.html

**************************************************************************************************

As far as the negativity that was espoused in this thread above, after over 18,500 posts, I have gotten tired of the new members that show up as know it alls with all of their negativity. I am tired of the waves of newbies that don't search and ask the same old mundane questions. My 96 Deville has been gone for over a year now and my ability to add something new over and above what I have said over and over has become limited.

If I could find a way to close my caddyinfo account, I would do so.

Bruce, I want to thank you for providing this excellent resource, for providing a forum for us to help other Cadillac lovers and for making me a staff member, and mostly for caring. If there is a way for me to close my account here, please let me know, I dont want it to be easy for me to contribute, as I want to end my participation here, I have said all that I can say. Maybe one day if I get another Cadillac, I will return as I am sure I will need help. Thanks to all of my friends here for the comradery, support and help with my problems.

The search function used correctly can provide a wealth of information, but correct search technique is important.

The following is what an enthusiast (and I) think about the small 279 cu inch 32 valve Northstar engine. I love the Northstar. See this link and a paragraph from his web page,

http://carrollcustom...verheating.aspx

Head Gaskets?Could it be? Please no not the head gaskets!Well lets discuss the head gaskets, I heard it was a disaster, too much $$$$$$ to repair now what?Well this may sound bad, but it is not that bad. When you wanted to drive a Caddy did you think it was cheap as a Honda? If you don't care about the gas prices as long as you can drive in luxury then what is the big deal about fixing your head gaskets?Anyhow here is the thing, the Northstar is one of the most awesome engines ever built and if you have one you should be proud.Check out the Northstar page and see what you have.Although this is a magnificent piece of engineering the block threading cannot contain the torque forever and you can guarantee if you have not already suffered this "You Will"All Northstar's will lose their head gaskets around 100k to 140k depending on how the car has been driven, sometimes sooner sometimes later.

Anyone who would like to stay in touch, send me a PM and we can trade email addresses. Good luck to all of you, I sincerely feel we are family..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Mike...

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE...

I will miss your posts.. as will we all...

You are always so helpful and know so much about the Cadillac's, CADDYINFO won't be the same without you.

Your knowledge of the NorthStar is invaluable to the the forum.

Please keep hanging around...

I am sorry if anything "I" said influenced your decision to leave.

If so I take it back...and I will be quiet... or at least quieter... :)

If you are not here... how can I let you know when I come up North this summer?

Are you just trying to get out of buying my dinner??? (that is supposed to be a joke) :) :)

You will be missed a lot more than you know...

The newbies still need your help..

Posted Image

Jim I appreciate the kind words, you have no idea. So much so that I feel guilted to stay against my will.

Jim, the reason I suggested PMing me if you wanted to stay in touch WAS because I knew you would be coming to the Northeast, I told my wife when I made the above post

I have been mulling over this idea for a couple of months, this is not a sudden decision.

Post #2 above was the straw that broke the camels back, among many other posts that have been too much to weather.

What is happening is that the 93 through 01's are aging, they are becoming bargains for younger drivers, and right on time, they are having problems with their head gaskets. Some are so green with the Northstar, that they are buying them WITH head gasket problems and they are immediately in trouble. This younger generation probably has no allegiance to GM or Cadillac and their last car was probably a rice burner with a coffee can exhaust. These cars are WAY too complicated for the uninitiated. We have way too many malcontents who badmouth Cadillac, GM and the Northstar BECAUSE they have no allegiance, they SAY they love the Northstar and Cadillac, but in reality they don't, they just don't get it.

We are answering the same questions over and over, new members dont follow directions to SEARCH, describe the problem in the title good, check codes, etc before they post their question. How many more times do we need to answer the overheating issue, Heal-a-seal, oil pressure light, etc. A member came out an disputed my recommendation to use 15W40 or 10W40 Rotella or Delvac oil in the 93 - 99 NSs to help oil pressure, leaking and due to their rubbing element lifters EVEN after I said the GURU (Northstar Powertrain Engineer) recommended it. Again, the guru means nothing to them, they dont understand. I am sick of arguing and trying to convince waves of newbies who come with a negatively slanted view of the engine. What is the point?, they don't understand what they have, and they don't think its worth the effort or nuisence to own such an amazing platform.

I have made my mind up, I dont want this to become like a Facebook posting where many post due to insecuity looking for adulation, pats on the back and attaboys, etc. I just want to go quietly. I just closed my Facebook account also, due to the drama and due to the stuff some people make public.

This has been fun, lots of fun, it is a family, I would love to own an 04 STS one day, when I do, Ill be back. Posting actual problems and resolving them in public is what makes a member valuable, the way I currently exist here, I am not doing work now on the Northstar and I am losing my edge, and a good search of the archives is a perfect replacement for me, over ME having to convince, condition and educate new members.

Thanks

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The most common cause is a bad oil pressure switch. It's located on the oil filter adapter. Not expensive or terribly difficult to change.

:welcomesmiley: Bestwife1..

Please ignore the post by johnnyjaws.

He is not the typical user of this forum.

I am sorry I can't help you with your specific problem...

but there are some others that have had the same problem that you are having and I am sure they will be along shortly to help you.

WOW DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANY ONE I AM JUST TRYING TO GET HELP FOR MY ORDEAL.THEY DID GIVE ME SOME CODES PO603,B0552,C1255,B0533.I HAVE CHANGED THE OIL SWITCH NOW I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL SENSOR AND THE OIL AND SEE IF THAT HELPS ME IF NOT SHE IS GOING TO THE CADILLAC DEALER. I HAVE BEEN TO ONE DEALER BUT THEY COULD NOT SAY THATS WHERE I GOT THE CODES.ANY HELP WITH THE CODES WOULD BE A GREAT HELP AS WELL.

WOW DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANY ONE I AM JUST TRYING TO GET HELP FOR MY ORDEAL.THEY DID GIVE ME SOME CODES PO603,B0552,C1255,B0533.I HAVE CHANGED THE OIL SWITCH NOW I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL SENSOR AND THE OIL AND SEE IF THAT HELPS ME IF NOT SHE IS GOING TO THE CADILLAC DEALER. I HAVE BEEN TO ONE DEALER BUT THEY COULD NOT SAY THATS WHERE I GOT THE CODES.ANY HELP WITH THE CODES WOULD BE A GREAT HELP AS WELL.

Not at all, you didnt offend anyone at all

What oil are you using? If you are using synthetic or 5W, it may contribute to your problem

Why are you changing the oil level sensor?, is it saying you need to add oil when the oil level is OK?

Bestwife1... you did not offend anyone...don't worry.

The flickering oil light could be many things... and usually is not serious.

If you recently had the oil changed... they may have put the wrong weight oil in your car.

Another possibility is, your car is 14 years old and may be beginning to need a little heavier oil to compensate for wear and various internal leaks that may be causing the oil pressure to drop.

What weight oil are you using i the car now?

P0603....Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

B0552... I did not find any info on this one.

C1255... EBCM Internal Malfunction (Electronic Brake Control Module)

B0533 - Fuel Sensor Open/Shorted To B+

Posted Image

Jim I appreciate the kind words, you have no idea. So much so that I feel guilted to stay against my will.

Jim, the reason I suggested PMing me if you wanted to stay in touch WAS because I knew you would be coming to the Northeast, I told my wife when I made the above post

I have been mulling over this idea for a couple of months, this is not a sudden decision.

Post #2 above was the straw that broke the camels back, among many other posts that have been too much to weather.

What is happening is that the 93 through 01's are aging, they are becoming bargains for younger drivers, and right on time, they are having problems with their head gaskets. Some are so green with the Northstar, that they are buying them WITH head gasket problems and they are immediately in trouble. This younger generation probably has no allegiance to GM or Cadillac and their last car was probably a rice burner with a coffee can exhaust. These cars to WAY too complicated for the uninitiated. We have way too many malcontents who badmouth Cadillac, GM and the Northstar BECAUSE they have no allegiance, they SAY they love the Northstar and Cadillac, but in reality they don't, they just don't get it.

We are answering the same questions over and over, new members dont follow directions to SEARCH, describe the problem in the title good, check codes, etc before they post their question. How many more times do we need to answer the overheating issue, Heal-a-seal, oil pressure light, etc. A member came out an disputed my recommendation to use 15W40 or 10W40 Rotella or Delvac oil in the 93 - 99 NSs to help oil pressure, leaking and due to their rubbing element lifters EVEN after I said the GURU (Northstar Powertrain Engineer) recommended it. Again, the guru means nothing to them, they dont understand. I am sick of arguing and trying to convince waves of newbies who come with a negatively slanted view of the engine. What is the point?, they don't understand what they have, and they don't think its worth the effort or nuisence to own such an amazing platform.

I have made my mind up, I dont want this to become like a Facebook posting where many post due to insecuity looking for adulation, pats on the back and attaboys, etc. I just want to go quietly. I just closed my Facebook account also, due to the drama and due to the stuff some people make public.

This has been fun, lots of fun, it is a family, I would love to own an 04 STS one day, when I do, Ill be back. Posting actual problems and resolving them in public is what makes a member valuable, the way I currently exist here, I am not doing work now on the Northstar and I am losing my edge, and a good search of the archives is a perfect replacement for me, over ME having to convince, condition and educate new members.

Thanks

THE REASON I WAS GOING TO CHANGE THE OIL LEVEL SENSOR WAS BECAUSE THE SHOP SUGGESTED THAT. I USE 10W30 OIL AND MAYBE THEY SWITCH OIL ON ME AT THE LAST OIL CHANGE. I PUT A WATER PUMP ON IT A FEW YEARS AGO. JUST PUT AN ALTERNATOR ALL PULLEYS AND BELTS RADIATOR AND COOLANT RESEVOIR NOW THIS. YOU THINK I NEED TO USE A DIFFERENT OIL AND IF SO WHAT.

The oil level has nothing at all to do with pressure (unless the level is zero).

10W30 is what you should be using. My money is still on the oil pressure switch. It's not uncommon.

You might check with whoever did your oil change. A lot of places don't even carry 10W30 anymore because most cars are spec'd for 5W. That said, I doubt they'd admit putting in the wrong oil for liability reasons.

What is happening is that the 93 through 01's are aging, they are becoming bargains for younger drivers, and right on time, they are having problems with their head gaskets. Some are so green with the Northstar, that they are buying them WITH head gasket problems and they are immediately in trouble. This younger generation probably has no allegiance to GM or Cadillac and their last car was probably a rice burner with a coffee can exhaust. These cars to WAY too complicated for the uninitiated. We have way too many malcontents who badmouth Cadillac, GM and the Northstar BECAUSE they have no allegiance, they SAY they love the Northstar and Cadillac, but in reality they don't, they just don't get it.

Thanks

I would only hope that you would reconsider,Mike, Your knowledge to those of us that appreciate you is very much loved...I personally have gleaned so much from your posts.If you must discontinue the outstanding way that you have provided us ALL with such unconditional care and desire,then so be it. I will miss you and hope that we can still keep i touch some how.SCOTT

look1-1-1.jpg

THE REASON I WAS GOING TO CHANGE THE OIL LEVEL SENSOR WAS BECAUSE THE SHOP SUGGESTED THAT. I USE 10W30 OIL AND MAYBE THEY SWITCH OIL ON ME AT THE LAST OIL CHANGE. I PUT A WATER PUMP ON IT A FEW YEARS AGO. JUST PUT AN ALTERNATOR ALL PULLEYS AND BELTS RADIATOR AND COOLANT RESEVOIR NOW THIS. YOU THINK I NEED TO USE A DIFFERENT OIL AND IF SO WHAT.

Please take your CAPS LOCK OFF... makes it hard to read your posts...

If it is not telling you to "ADD OIL" when the oil is full... there is "NOTHING" wrong with the oil level sensor.

Sounds like your mechanic just wants to throw parts at it and hope the problem goes away.

I would change the "OIL PRESSURE" switch.

10w30 was the oil originally specified for your engine.

When did the oil light start flickering??

Did it start after the last oil change?

If it did...Maybe they accidentally put 5w30 in it instead of the recommended 10w30.

If it has an internal leak from the oil manifold, which of course you can not see, that can cause a drop in oil pressure also.

Sometimes on the older engines.. some people have to use a little heavier oil... like Shell Rotella 15w40 to make the oil light stop flickering.

Give us a little more detail please.

When did the low oil pressure light start flickering?

When was the oil last changed?

Posted Image

At 178,000 miles on my 94 STS,42% oil life left,my next oil change shall consist of 4l of Shell rotella 15w40/3l 10w30 Castrol GTX as JIMD recommended...That will be this weekend,can't wait to see how it will perform!Oh ,also a Delco Filter...

look1-1-1.jpg

very surprised not many people think of the oil filter. not only can oil viscosity be a factor of low oil pressure but a filter can do its job too well and in filtering the oil it reduces pressure. I recommend running no other oil filter than AC delco. they are about the same price as competitors. As I have mentioned in other threads My 96 Eldorado had the same problem and it was caused by the FRAM oil filter.

my 96 Deville approaching 200000 miles runs like new and I drive it hard every day.

A oil filter is a cheap price to try

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Please take your CAPS LOCK OFF... makes it hard to read your posts...

If it is not telling you to "ADD OIL" when the oil is full... there is "NOTHING" wrong with the oil level sensor.

Sounds like your mechanic just wants to throw parts at it and hope the problem goes away.

I would change the "OIL PRESSURE" switch.

10w30 was the oil originally specified for your engine.

When did the oil light start flickering??

Did it start after the last oil change?

If it did...Maybe they accidentally put 5w30 in it instead of the recommended 10w30.

If it has an internal leak from the oil manifold, which of course you can not see, that can cause a drop in oil pressure also.

Sometimes on the older engines.. some people have to use a little heavier oil... like Shell Rotella 15w40 to make the oil light stop flickering.

Give us a little more detail please.

When did the low oil pressure light start flickering?

When was the oil last changed?

Archived