CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The oil light start flickering a while back,but last week when I did change the oil pressure switch was when the stop engine low oil pressure warning came on my computer dash board.

The oil light start flickering a while back,but last week when I did change the oil pressure switch was when the stop engine low oil pressure warning came on my computer dash board.

I am sorry.. I missed that you had already changed the oil pressure switch.

Have you looked at your filter to see what brand it is?

Off brand / generic filters... (meaning "NOT" AC DELCO)... can sometimes give problems with iol pressure.

It is kinda rare, but not unheard of at all.

Next thing I would do is change the oil again and run either Shell Rotella 15w40 or half and half 15w40 and 10w30.

NEVER EVER use anything less than 10w30 in it.

I would be willing to bet that if you changed the oil again...like I mentioned above... the blinking oil pressure light will go away.

Posted Image

The oil level has nothing at all to do with pressure (unless the level is zero).

10W30 is what you should be using. My money is still on the oil pressure switch. It's not uncommon.

You might check with whoever did your oil change. A lot of places don't even carry 10W30 anymore because most cars are spec'd for 5W. That said, I doubt they'd admit putting in the wrong oil for liability reasons.

Larry, the pressure switch was changed last week and it was stated that the problem appeared to be worse (but last week when I did change the oil pressure switch was when the stop engine low oil pressure warning came on my computer dash board). However, lets keep in mind that the vehicle was in the shop to have the oil pressure switch BECAUSE it was showing a low pressure warning light, while the low pressure threshold calibration on the new pressure switch might be higher by one or two PSI something appears wrong (other than the oil pressure switch). The owner might be seeing the slight calibration difference between the old and new pressure switches, causing them to say "the problem appeared to be worse"

If I recall, the pressure threshold for turning on the light is 5 PSI or less. I forget what the spec is for oil pressure at idle, do you recall what it is? That said, it should be determined whether or not an OEM pressure switch was used, but I don't get the impression that is the problem here.

One question, the oil light DOES go OUT above idle correct?

I have never experienced low pressure from an oil filter as someone above mentioned, but that should be explored.

The quality or viscosity of oil should eliminated by changing the oil to at least 10W30 quality oil. Some oil change shops use low quality or low viscosity oil and that is the main reason I change my own oil, see this http://forums.anandt...d.php?t=2102838

While this is a sudden problem, it surely seems linked to the recent oil change.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I am sorry.. I missed that you had already changed the oil pressure switch.

Have you looked at your filter to see what brand it is?

Off brand / generic filters... (meaning "NOT" AC DELCO)... can sometimes give problems with iol pressure.

It is kinda rare, but not unheard of at all.

Next thing I would do is change the oil again and run either Shell Rotella 15w40 or half and half 15w40 and 10w30.

NEVER EVER use anything less than 10w30 in it.

I would be willing to bet that if you changed the oil again...like I mentioned above... the blinking oil pressure light will go away.

Thanks I will try changing the oil and putting an ac delco oil filter on and see what that does. I will definately keep you posted on the outcome. 10W30 MOTOR OIL ONLY GOT YOU.

Thanks I will try changing the oil and putting an ac delco oil filter on and see what that does. I will definately keep you posted on the outcome. 10W30 MOTOR OIL ONLY GOT YOU.

Actually... "NOT LESS THAN" 10w30... :) :)

10w40 or 15w40 won't hurt a thing.

Posted Image

Texas Jim ,

Thank you sir, think I will go with the half and half scenario(15w40 and 10w30) and use an ac delco oil filter as well. Hopefully this will solve the flickering oil light as well as the shut engine off low oil pressure warning too.

will keep you posted will try and do today or tomorrow.

Thanks

Texas Jim ,

Thank you sir, think I will go with the half and half scenario(15w40 and 10w30) and use an ac delco oil filter as well. Hopefully this will solve the flickering oil light as well as the shut engine off low oil pressure warning too.

Thanks

THAT sounds like a good plan... :D

Posted Image

Larry, the pressure switch was changed last week

So I see Mike. I guess I missed that.

very surprised not many people think of the oil filter. not only can oil viscosity be a factor of low oil pressure but a filter can do its job too well and in filtering the oil it reduces pressure.

Wrong. Oil filters have a built in bypass valve to prevent this from happening.

Texas Jim ,

Thanks

THAT sounds like a good plan... :D

Texas Jim,

Did what you said and so far so good. Took her out on the highway and no flickering lights,no low oil pressure etc. I also unhooked the battery for about 20 minutes as well. I had recently put an alternator and pulleys (all pulleys) on so she seems good to go now. Thank you for the sound advice ac delco oil filter and 10w40 and 15w40 half and half.

Thanks Texas Jim,

P.S. two things I love the cowboys and cadillacs :>)

Texas Jim,

Did what you said and so far so good. Took her out on the highway and no flickering lights,no low oil pressure etc. I also unhooked the battery for about 20 minutes as well. I had recently put an alternator and pulleys (all pulleys) on so she seems good to go now. Thank you for the sound advice ac delco oil filter and 10w40 and 15w40 half and half.

Thanks Texas Jim,

That's two of my favorite things also... :) :)

I am glad to hear that (so far) that solved your problem.

Just noticed you are in Richmond...

I went thru there a few weeks ago on a ROAD TRIP...

Stopped and had dinner with a friend of mine.

May be back up that way in May... don't know yet.

Thinking of going to Niagara Falls, after going to S Carolina to see my brother in Law... then to N Carolina to see some friends, then detour over to RIchmond again to see my friend there... then up to New York to see Mike..aka BodybyFisher, then, finally, to Niagara Falls. :)

That will be a pretty long trip, even for me... and I love road trips.

Posted Image

Texas Jim,

Thanks Texas Jim,

That's two of my favorite things also... :) :)

I am glad to hear that (so far) that solved your problem.

Just noticed you are in Richmond...

I went thru there a few weeks ago on a ROAD TRIP...

Stopped and had dinner with a friend of mine.

May be back up that way in May... don't know yet.

Thinking of going to Niagara Falls, after going to S Carolina to see my brother in Law... then to N Carolina to see some friends, then detour over to RIchmond again to see my friend there... then up to New York to see Mike..aka BodybyFisher, then, finally, to Niagara Falls. :)

That will be a pretty long trip, even for me... and I love road trips.

Texas Jim,

When you come my way let me know so that we can meet and I can show this beautiful cadillac of minds...I think you would be impressed. My wife and I are were planning to come to Texas to see the cowboys play this year. As soon as my son shows me how, I will upload a picture of it as well. Again thank you.

Texas Jim,

When you come my way let me know so that we can meet and I can show this beautiful cadillac of minds...I think you would be impressed. My wife and I are were planning to come to Texas to see the cowboys play this year. As soon as my son shows me how, I will upload a picture of it as well. Again thank you.

Thanks... I will let you know ahead of time.

I would love to see your car.

Pics are easy...

open a photobucket account...

upload pics to there...

then just click at the bottom of the pic, where it says IMGCODE and paste it here...like this...

This is a pic of a new CTS I was driving the other day when my DTS was in for service.

P1170008.jpg

Posted Image

Texas Jim,

Thanks... I will let you know ahead of time.

I would love to see your car.

Pics are easy...

open a photobucket account...

upload pics to there...

then just click at the bottom of the pic, where it says IMGCODE and paste it here...like this...

This is a pic of a new CTS I was driving the other day when my DTS was in for service.

P1170008.jpg

BodybyFisher, thanks for the input and help you have given me the several times I have asked on this forum. Sorry to see you leave... I hope to see you around later, and that you find yourself a nice '04 STS.

Texas Jim,

Thanks Texas Jim,

Glad to hear this is resolved, I thought it would be.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

BodybyFisher, thanks for the input and help you have given me the several times I have asked on this forum. Sorry to see you leave... I hope to see you around later, and that you find yourself a nice '04 STS.

Thanks, my pleasure

mike plz reconsider. We will miss you and I think I can speak for most of us that you and the guru have helped. I felt bad when he left, I will feel the same if you go. My last 3 cars were cadillacs 2 have had northstar engines. cadillacs are the best and the only car i own. Mike

Archived