CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2006 DTS Purchased

Luke

I purchased a 2006 DTS last week. The 98 DeVille treated me well but I decided it was time to update. A price $5000 below book was a deciding factor as well.

I'll get right down to it.....

1. Is it possible to enter diagnostics and check codes on a 2006 DTS or did Cadillac do away with this?

2. Okay, really? Did Cadillac really only put one horn on the 2006 DTS? The horn on this thing is just downright embarrassing. It sounds like a Geo Metro horn. Perhaps I have a horn burned out or something?

Okay, I was thinking I had more questions but that is all that's coming to mind. Any comments or info will be appreciated. :-)

I purchased a 2006 DTS last week. The 98 DeVille treated me well but I decided it was time to update. A price $5000 below book was a deciding factor as well.

I'll get right down to it.....

1. Is it possible to enter diagnostics and check codes on a 2006 DTS or did Cadillac do away with this?

2. Okay, really? Did Cadillac really only put one horn on the 2006 DTS? The horn on this thing is just downright embarrassing. It sounds like a Geo Metro horn. Perhaps I have a horn burned out or something?

Okay, I was thinking I had more questions but that is all that's coming to mind. Any comments or info will be appreciated. :-)

To your first question... NO... they did away with that function.

2nd question....I also have a 2006 and my horn is pretty good.

Not like the 4 horn "TRUMPET" Cadillac horns of the old days, but pretty good none the less.

It will get your attention.

I "THINK" they have two horns, so if it sounds funky....one of your may be not working.

Posted Image

Are you serious?? That is just the pits! That's what I always looked forward to when buying a Cadillac is checking the codes. Will an OBDII code reader work on the 2006+ DTS's? What about the 2005 and newer STS's, did they abolish the on-board diagnostics as well?

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

Are you serious?? That is just the pits! That's what I always looked forward to when buying a Cadillac is checking the codes. Will an OBDII code reader work on the 2006+ DTS's? What about the 2005 and newer STS's, did they abolish the on-board diagnostics as well?

Yes it does stink that we are no longer able to access the stored codes from the dash but a good code reader or laptop problem will do the trick, the problem is it is limited to P codes.... so yes, it is a loss

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I agree, it is a shame we can no longer read codes. I always liked that we as Cadillac owners could do this. Saved a lot of time.

As for the horn, mine is not missing 2 notes. It is apparently missing 3. It sounds just like the horn in a 97 Sunfire that used to be in the family. It is only one horn. When the weather warms up a bit, I need to locate the horns and see if one is missing or if one may be seized up. And I can guarantee that before long, it will have the 4 note trumpet horns that I so enjoyed in my 98 DeVille.

This DTS is a great car! I am loving the heated seats that turn on when the remote start is used. My 98 DeVille had heated seats but the drivers seat heater stopped working on Thanksgiving day. The heated steering wheel in the DTS is kinda nice to have too.

Now, my next issue. My windshield washer is frozen up. It has the heated washer fluid option but it doesn't seem to do anything. I checked the under-hood fuses and found the heated washer fluid fuse was missing. I replaced the $5 fuse but still nothing. Anyone have any experience with the heated washer fluid thing or any idea what would make it not work? I did check and it didn't blow out the new fuse, it's still fine.

I agree, it is a shame we can no longer read codes. I always liked that we as Cadillac owners could do this. Saved a lot of time.

As for the horn, mine is not missing 2 notes. It is apparently missing 3. It sounds just like the horn in a 97 Sunfire that used to be in the family. It is only one horn. When the weather warms up a bit, I need to locate the horns and see if one is missing or if one may be seized up. And I can guarantee that before long, it will have the 4 note trumpet horns that I so enjoyed in my 98 DeVille.

This DTS is a great car! I am loving the heated seats that turn on when the remote start is used. My 98 DeVille had heated seats but the drivers seat heater stopped working on Thanksgiving day. The heated steering wheel in the DTS is kinda nice to have too.

Now, my next issue. My windshield washer is frozen up. It has the heated washer fluid option but it doesn't seem to do anything. I checked the under-hood fuses and found the heated washer fluid fuse was missing. I replaced the $5 fuse but still nothing. Anyone have any experience with the heated washer fluid thing or any idea what would make it not work? I did check and it didn't blow out the new fuse, it's still fine.

There is a RECALL on all the heated washer units.

Your dealer will remove the heater washer fluid unit, because a very few have caught on fire or otherwise malfunctioned and the company that made them is now out of business.

I am guessing that this is what happened to yours.

The owner that had it removed got a $100 bucks from Cadillac.

You can get a PLUG AND PLAY unit from http://www.alphather...sh-AT-37GM.html

So far.. I have DECLINED to have mine removed by my dealer.

Posted Image

There is a RECALL on all the heated washer units.

Your dealer will remove the heater washer fluid unit, because a very few have caught on fire or otherwise malfunctioned and the company that made them is now out of business.

I am guessing that this is what happened to yours.

The owner that had it removed got a $100 bucks from Cadillac.

You can get a PLUG AND PLAY unit from http://www.alphather...sh-AT-37GM.html

So far.. I have DECLINED to have mine removed by my dealer.

Thanks a lot for the info Jim! I just placed an order for the Alphatherm washer heater replacement unit. I figured, the switch is there, kinda silly not to make it work. LOL When I made the move to Texas, I didn't figure I'd need such things. But my washer fluid was frozen for the better part of last week. It's 8° outside now and the temp is falling. Likely it'll be frozen up again.

You should be able to use a CAN OBD2 code reader like this to read any DTC codes, still there, just not accessible from the dash

http://www.canobd2.com/Products/ToolDetail.aspx?Id=3bf42445012148f9b367ffee3c3e132a

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

By the way.... my impressions so far... I love the DTS. It is quieter than any previous Cadillac. The heated and cooled seats are wonderful and heat faster than the heated seats in the 98 DeVille. Love the heated steering wheel and remote starter too.

Only 2 things I don't like....

1. Checking codes in diagnostics. I'll miss that.

2. The 2006 DTS DOESN'T HAVE STABILITRAK! The 98 DeVille did have it. I nearly spun the DTS around the other day trying to find out if it had Stabilitrak.

All in all, the DTS is great. Much more refined. Stabilitrak should have been standard.

2. The 2006 DTS DOESN'T HAVE STABILITRAK! The 98 DeVille did have it. I nearly spun the DTS around the other day trying to find out if it had Stabilitrak.

All in all, the DTS is great. Much more refined. Stabilitrak should have been standard.

Hmm, that sounds odd. I thought they would have been standard with it by then. Have you checked your RPO codes to see if it has it? I believe it is under the spare tire cover in the trunk. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Stabilitrak RPO code is JL4.

-Dusty-

By the way.... my impressions so far... I love the DTS. It is quieter than any previous Cadillac. The heated and cooled seats are wonderful and heat faster than the heated seats in the 98 DeVille. Love the heated steering wheel and remote starter too.

Only 2 things I don't like....

1. Checking codes in diagnostics. I'll miss that.

To the best of my knowledge...STABILATRAC is standard on all DTS's.

It isn't as intrusive as on some previous models.

There is no button to turn it off.

You can turn off Traction Control but not Stabilatrac.

You can enter your VIN here and get a complete build list for your car.

Posted Image

The horns should be above the large, plastic closeout panel between the front bumper and the engine cradle. There are about 25 push-in fasteners that need to be removed to access the hoens. My guess is one of the two horns is now working.

I added two horns to my '05 Deville but needed to add a second horn relay to drive the additional horns. The horn circuit on the 05 Deville is only 15 amps and the first time I had to "lay on the horn" when some idiot pulled out in front of me, the fuse blew. Adding a second horn relay solved the problem.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Based on this article from Edmonds the Luxury 1 model does not have stability control, Luxury 2 and 3 do

http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/dts/2006/

Based on this article from Edmonds the Luxury 1 model does not have stability control, Luxury 2 and 3 do

http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/dts/2006/

That's odd, I figured they would have had it standard on all by then.

-Dusty-

http://www.edmunds.c...illac/dts/2006/

Interesting...

From his description of his car.. it is a LUX lll... so therefore has Stabilatrac.

Maybe something is wrong with it... but that will turn on the DIC saying "SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM"

Posted Image

Thanks for all your replies! You guys are awesome. After checking the websites you have given me, it appears mine is a Luxury II, so apparently, I stand corrected and mine does have Stabilitrak. I'm glad as it is a feature I have come to feel safer having. When I said in an earlier post that I nearly spun the DTS around trying to figure out if it had Stabilitrak, perhaps the Stabilitrak is what kept me from actually spinning around!

As for what Jim said about the Stabilitrak being less intrusive, I have noticed the same of the Traction Control. It is often hardly noticeable. Older Cadillacs I have had have varied on how annoying the traction control is. The worst winter Cadillac I have owned by far would have been the 98 STS. The traction control was so intrusive, if there was much ice, it would sit and grunt and not spin a tire at all. It worked best with the Trac off. Of my 11 previous Cadillacs, cars with the 9 engine were worse in snow than any with the Y engine.

As for the horns, it is way too cold and snowy out right now but when the weather is nicer, I will investigate and find out why only one horn is working. I do plan on purchasing the C and D note horns to add to the existing A and F notes. I figured I would wire up a relay for the two add-on horns so as to not blow fuses.

I was reading the ratings for the 2006 DTS on Edmunds and am quite pleased to read that it has been given excellent reliability ratings! And for the most part, the IIHS ratings are very good too!

Now, one thing I have noticed and am quite pleased about is that the DTS has a scroll compressor. In my opinion, they are far more reliable than the older GM compressors that would grind up reed valves. This is one thing I struggled with in the past with Cadillacs. I had a 95 SLS that went through 2 compressors while I owned it.

I have just discovered something about the 2006 DTS that I am very excited about! It has a Nippondenso alternator! This is the same company that makes alternators for Chrysler! They are very reliable in my experience! I have had to replace previous Cadillac alternators but never on any Chrysler I have ever owned. I have always had both Chryslers and Cadillacs.

I love the 2006 DTS! It seems Cadillac has really improved on many areas. I love the LED lights all over including map lights and reverse lights. LED bulbs are on order for the front turn signals, DRL's, bottom of door courtesy lamps, and license plate lights. I love the HID headlights also. The fit and finish of the car is of very high quality in my opinion.

Luke,

If you have NAV and heated wood steering wheel... I think you will find that it is a LUX lll.

I could be mistaken...but I don't think the wood steering wheel and NAV were available in the 2006 LUX ll.

They were only in the LUX lll and Performance Sedan

I love my 2006 Performance Sedan.

I have over 93,000 miles on it now and I really enjoy driving it.

Planning a couple of long road trips as soon as the weather warms up a little.. :)

Posted Image

As for the horns, it is way too cold and snowy out right now but when the weather is nicer, I will investigate and find out why only one horn is working. I do plan on purchasing the C and D note horns to add to the existing A and F notes. I figured I would wire up a relay for the two add-on horns so as to not blow fuses.

For what it's worth, I didn't add any relays when I added the missing horns to mine. No problems................... so far.

Luke,

In case you don't have the owners manual and the NAV manual...

I have them in PDF format... I can email them to you.

Jim,

Mine does not have the wood steering wheel, navigation, or chrome wheels. I have been toying with the idea of buying a wood steering wheel on eBay but am kind of afraid the wood wouldn't match what is in the car. I may still do it. My steering wheel is heated though which I don't believe was available on Lux I. Also, mine has heated rear seats which was not available on Lux I.

The owners manual that came with the car is a poorly bound reprint so if you could email that to me, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you! I will PM my email address to you.

What kind of gas mileage does your performance model get? Lately, it has been very cold in Amarillo so my mileage has been low. But, I had to drive to Portales, NM a week or so ago... about 120 miles each way. I averaged about 25.5 mpg and that was with temps of about 15°. Not bad mileage for the cold temps. So far, it's doing better than the 98 DeVille did in summer... at least recently. It used to do 27-29 mpg but my mileage got progressively worse in the last couple of years.

Ranger,

I added the horns to my 98 STS without a relay and never had problems but after I traded it, the guy who bought it from the dealership called me and asked if I knew why it kept blowing the horn fuse. Probably better to be safe than sorry. Relays are pretty easy to wire in.

---------------------

From what I can tell, the 2006+ Northstar uses different part than a 2000-2005. Kinda looks like they redesigned it. Anyone have any ideas what was changed? Is the 2006+ more reliable than previous?

As far as gas mileage... I usually get around 22...

But I have been known to be real friendly with the skinny pedal on the right side. :)

I have got as high as 24.. but that is the exception... not the rule.

I didn't know they all leather wheel was heated...

Today is a good day... I learned something today. :)

Based on the pics I have seen posted to help others do things to their cars...Some of the changes are the air box for the air filter, the intake air ducts and throttle body are different.

The thermostat housing is also different and I am pretty sure quite a few other things are different also.

I have almost 94,000 miles on mine now and it has been rock solid reliable.

A couple of weeks ago...It did have a minor rear cam cover oil leak and a minor half case oil leak that I didn't even know about, but the dealer discovered and it was fixed under warranty.

Other than that...the engine and transmission have never been touched with a wrench.

It still runs and drives just like a new car.

Posted Image

Ranger,

I added the horns to my 98 STS without a relay and never had problems but after I traded it, the guy who bought it from the dealership called me and asked if I knew why it kept blowing the horn fuse. Probably better to be safe than sorry. Relays are pretty easy to wire in.

Good to know. I don't use it very often, but I'll keep this in mind if I ever have a problem. Thanks.

Archived