CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Traction Control question

jndnaps

If you have no codes and the traction contol light is not on, then it is working. You can still spin the tires in snow, but a light foot will get far better results, with the brakes being applied to a wheel that starts to spin and such.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have no codes and the traction contol light is not on, then it is working. You can still spin the tires in snow, but a light foot will get far better results, with the brakes being applied to a wheel that starts to spin and such.

I agree...but usally when traction is engaged with wheels spinning in snow, the message in the DIC would say "TRACTION ENGAGED" and it doesn't anymore with wheels spinning in snow. so thats why I do not think it is working properly. To me it's not a big issue. Not often do I spin the wheels.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

You can spin your front wheels without the traction light coming on, *if* both wheels slip evenly. If there is a difference in spin rate, the traction control kicks in.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Ranger - yes, not very likely, particulary with a lead foot in snow, but I've seen it on a wet street when the tires break loose when you start to take off and cross a big white paint crosswalk marker and similar situations.

Ranger - yes, not very likely, particulary with a lead foot in snow, but I've seen it on a wet street when the tires break loose when you start to take off and cross a big white paint crosswalk marker and similar situations.

I agree with that... mine will sometimes do that and not kick the TC on...

But after a half second or so...if it continues spinning ... the TC will kick on.

I did a little playing around in a big parking lot during one of our recent ice storms.

I found out that above about 5 or 10MPH... the TC will come on when spinning, even when you have it turned "OFF"

I could be going along about 20MPH on the ice and GAS IT to make it spin on the ICE...and the TC would kick in...

I assume it is the StabilaTrac taking over and knowing that the REAR WHEELS are turning at a different speed than the front ones...

But I don't know that FOR SURE...just a logical assumption...

Also, if you make it slide a little bit sideways and give it a little gas...TC comes on..

Again, I figured the YAW SENSOR caused StabilaTrac to take over..

Posted Image

I once did a lazy 360 spin on a big puddle of black ice in a parking lot. I decided that I wanted to mender over to dry land in without changing direction so I locked the wheels to prevent Stabilitrak and TC from doing anything that would change my direction. That experience taught me that even Stabilitrak, TC and ABS have their limits, and they can't generate traction where there is none. After reaching dry land, I drove slowly over to a gas pump, and noticed a young woman staring at me with eyes like saucers. As I pulled up to the pump, I lowered my window and said to her "I meant to do that." Deadpan.

Interesting. I've never noticed that. I'll have to pay closer attention.

Archived