CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

When it rains it pours, low oil pressure!

tm8272

Did you know that Kentucky produces more whiskey than all other States combined? And, that's just what they *know* about!

Seriously, the guy who made the remark about the starter was a transmission guy, not an electrical or engine guy. He was probably trying to soften the situation with the other mechanic. Sometimes it's best not to vent about bad service to another mechanic because he doesn't know you or the car, and he may think that he's next.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its also possible that he believes this, thinking that the bearings and rings are tight, and not taking it a step further that all new engines would do the same.

What concerns me IS that the engine is binding, and that would be indicated by the starter's amperage draw

A high draw could be a bad starter, battery cables, bad grounds, etc besides a tight motor.

Lets not forget that this engine appears to be suffering from low oil pressure, could this be a MAIN BEARING, not seated, wrong position or having dirt behind it?, maybe.... could it cause a tight startup?, maybe....

As I noted, when the Corvette engine is hand built, when they put the main bearing caps on, they use a machine of some sort to confirm that the crank and bearings are correct based on whether or not there is any drag on the crank.

I DO believe we heard a KNOCK at some point also, in this engine

So my antennii are up

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If I were you, I would send your oil in for analysis for the first year. IF, just IF now, the bearings have been damaged, or are too tight, an oil analysis would be telling. To to Blackstone Labs and order a kit http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

What did caddy find with the slow crank?, tight bearings would have shown an increased current draw..?

Thanks for the info! Very good idea!! Can this test tell anything now with about 200 miles or should I wait til the 500 miles I have to change the oil?? The shop by the way did change the oil again he said when he put on the Harmonic balancer. I wonder why?? I will check out the site you mentioned.

I would wait to send it in till 500 miles, the first oil change will turn up lots of bearing material (copper, etc, I believe). Do a search under Marika and Blackstone, she has been doing the Blackstones on her new Chevy, the first oil changes had high levels due to breakin, but if something was wrong, it would no doubt show up.

The other day I thought of you the other day when I found this "current draw" test, consider that instead of that motor, this was your starter. If the engine were hard to turn due to a tight bearing or rod bearing, the current draw would be high. Did the dealer do a current draw test to see if the starter is drawing a normal current on startup, indicating that the engine is not binding? See this, this is a normal test that is done. Obviously the battery must test good also

Thanks for the video and info! The caddy dealer did not tell me what the draw was when they tested it. I will check out this video and do this and post results.

I now have 420 miles on the new Jasper engine and have ordered the test kit as you suggested from blackstone. I have to change the oil at 500 miles and will send in a sample to be tested then. I did call the Jasper warranty dept to ask what type of oil at 500 miles they recommend. I told them I used full penzoil synthetic in car since 60,000 miles and because it is a thinner oil maybe made it easier to turn over. The guy at jasper told me to only put in regular oil to make sure everything seats properly and use 10w 30 oil and after I have 3,000 miles on engine then I can change to the synthetic if I want. I have never had a remanufactured engine before and dont know if the issue when I go to start car is normal or not? I did not have this issue with old engine. When I turn the key to start the engine it cranks but sounds like a weak battery issue and battery is new. It is a weird feeling. I have never had a car do this before. I do not have any knock now and engine temp is staying steady. Thanks again!

You stated.........

The guy at the transmission shop today said it might be because of the compression of new engine causing my starter dragging.

And I call...:bsmeter:

If that is the case...why don't all of the brand new Northstar engines have dragging starters??

I bought TWO new ones in 2006...both with the Northstar...neither one of them has EVER had a dragging starter.

Just asking...but think about it....

Good point Jim. It is frustrating, the owner of shop that installed the Jasper engine said " he thought my starter was going bad" but never offered to check it out or say I can check it out for xxx amount of dollars. Just did not seem interested. The transmission guy might have been trying to humor me, who knows but I do need to get to the bottom of this issue for sure. The oil test that Bobbyfisher suggested is a good idea and I will be doing that for sure. I have 420 miles on engine now and will be doing that soon at 500 miles.

Very good idea on the oil test.

I just got my Blackstone oil test kit in the mail today! I ordered it online for free. When I send in the sample that is when they charge you the 25 to test oil. I will be doing this probably next week one I get a few more miles on car to get to the 500 miles and then have oil changed and keep docs so I dont void warranty on motor. I will post the results of oil test when I get them back. They said it might take a month or so to get results back.

good

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Very good idea on the oil test.

I just got my Blackstone oil test kit in the mail today! I ordered it online for free. When I send in the sample that is when they charge you the 25 to test oil. I will be doing this probably next week one I get a few more miles on car to get to the 500 miles and then have oil changed and keep docs so I dont void warranty on motor. I will post the results of oil test when I get them back. They said it might take a month or so to get results back.

Taking a month for oil analysis test results is not acceptable at all. It should take less than a week, if not a few days.

I have a bunch of Blacksone kits on hand for tracking the oil as a function of OLM readings, and that's what they tell me too. There is a FAQ on their web site on "Where's my analysis?" that explains that they are going as fast as they can, that they don't lose samples because these things are their business, and to be patient. This all sounds like CYA stuff to me, in case they get backed up by a big rush or some such, like must happen when somebody has an engine-related recall or news splash like the famous Toyota four-cylinder-sludge issue of a couple of years ago. Most people find it takes a week or two.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

With the company I run, we have oil analysis turn around time in about a week or even just a few days, with the capability to view the oil analysis test results online, which is much faster than snail mail of course. A month is simply not acceptable. I think you are right that it sounds like CYA nonsense.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a bunch of Blacksone kits on hand for tracking the oil as a function of OLM readings, and that's what they tell me too. There is a FAQ on their web site on "Where's my analysis?" that explains that they are going as fast as they can, that they don't lose samples because these things are their business, and to be patient. This all sounds like CYA stuff to me, in case they get backed up by a big rush or some such, like must happen when somebody has an engine-related recall or news splash like the famous Toyota four-cylinder-sludge issue of a couple of years ago. Most people find it takes a week or two.

Update on oil analysis from Blackstone. I overnighted it right before the big snow storm was to hit there area (Ft Wayne Indiana) and they got it the next morning from UPS. That afternoon I received an email with attachment on my blackberry cell with RESULTS!!! I was amazed how fast! I got report back Feb 1, 2011 and had a problem with my laptop and ended up just buying a new one because of a damaged power charging port. Anyway just got a chance to print out report with new laptop and this is what it said: "They dont see anything that looks too problematic, hopefully the work they did really did correct the problem. Silicon is probably left over from sealers. Iron is coming from a steel part, and its low enough and the engine is new enough and its probably from the break-in process. Sodium, we trust, is from the oil itself, though thats an easier call to make when we know what you're using. Insoluables show good oil filtration. No fuel or moisture found. I should see improvements next sample." I did tell them about the previous knock and harmonic balancer replaced and low oil pressure issue.

I was very impressed with fast turn around time on report. The report did list columns with readings on each catagory but this was there translation of that. I will send another oil sample on next oil change and see how that turns out. Blackstone already sent me another free kit for future oil sample. Thanks again for all your advice and help.

Glad to hear they provided quick service and that the news was good

Archived