CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AUTOMATIC FWD BURNOUT

yenko

When the car is stopped, just mash the gas pedal to the floor! The front wheels should break loose - but the traction control will engage and try to keep things under control. I don't know if you can do a real smoking, tire frying burn-out, I've never tried it.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Remove the ABS fuse and try it. The computer will still try to disable some cylinders to avoid breaking traction but you may get a little rubber.

Don't forget to put the ABS fuse back after playing.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

In 93 one could not disable traction control, as just listed...

I have a 93 and I made a switch to bypass it. I simply spliced into the master cylinder wires (2) and ran it to a cut off switch... The computer will think the car is low on break fluid, and it will completely dissable Traction Control, ABS and will not shut down cylinders too... Pretty cool, I just like to have the switch... I don't smoke so I mounted the switch onto the ash tray along with an oil gauge and a sub-woofer switch

If you don't want to go to that leangth, simply unplug the Master Cylinder wires...

System will reset on next start...

I did this a year ago and have had no problems, but the car was not built for that...

:)

If you disable traction control, be sure your burn out is with BOTH front tires (it's probably not). Traction control is there, not only to protect you, but to protect your equipment. When you spin a tire wildly faster than the other one, you run the risk of severely damaging the differential. Recommendation is to leave the system intact and let it do what it was designed to do -- keep you from breaking the car! :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Jadcock... What do you think of 95 model caddy's and newer. These cars have the manual traction switchs that allows the user to disable... Same issues here on damageing the differential?

You make one heck of a point, and I am more than interested in your responce.

Jadcock... What do you think of 95 model caddy's and newer.  These cars have the manual traction switchs that allows the user to disable... Same issues here on damageing the differential? 

You make one heck of a point, and I am more than interested in your responce.

Yeah, what bbobybski said (thanks). The transmission starts in 2nd gear to reduce torque to the drive wheels and try to prevent you from scoring the differential. In fact, let me add that the traction control does not prevent wheel spin (on my '97 at least) if the wheels are spinning at the same speed. This is especially apparent on rainy streets, if I punch it and the front tires break loose. If they both break loose, they'll spin easily. If just ONE breaks loose, the PCM will engage the traction control. Try it sometime in a controlled area.

Seems like every winter during the heavy snow times I find myself pulling the Abs/ traction control fuse just so I can make it up a hill or two. In theory I think traction control is a good idea (I'm talking soley about my 94 here) but in reality I find it to be an annoying feature as well as dangerous. When it gets nasty outside and I get behind the wheel of my caddy, that's always in the back of my mind. I've had the TC abruptly take me off the road a couple times as well as my father when he borrowed it. And always in familiar situations that normally i would be able to avoid or drive out of. I suppose if my reaction time was equivilent to that of a 90 yr old person ...... then maybe I would appreciate the feature. Personally I think the system works too slow. It always seems a step or two behind. Kind of like having a car with brake peddles in the back seat and your mother-in-law operating them.

I love my caddy but when it does get unkind outside I sure miss that 90 Bonneville SSE I sold. Drove that from Connecticut to Syracuse right through the "storm of the century" 3-4 years ago. 2-3 inches of standing slush.... that was something to see. Ran like a champ... a bull on wheels. No way I would've tried that with the caddy. Definitely would've ended up in the ditch with the hundreds of other cars and suvs..... and police cruisers.

I know I've rambled too long. In summation, I love the 94sts but dislike the TC feature. Big Brother at it's unfinest.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I agree with Jason. One rare time in a parking lot with a very smooth and shiny surface, I got both wheels to spin from a start and smoked the tires for quite a distance. I have also had it happen in the rain on a slanted road taking off from a stop. Both wheels broke and I started sliding toward the shoulder.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

I have also had it happen in the rain on a slanted road taking off from a stop. Both wheels broke and I started sliding toward the shoulder.

I've had that happen many times on Interstate onramps. I'll turn on the onramp and stomp on it, and the engine will rev quickly towards redline and the whole front of the car will slide sideways -- and it's NOT torque steer! :)

I know I've rambled too long. In summation, I love the 94sts but dislike the TC feature. Big Brother at it's unfinest.

KG, I'm sorry to hear you don't like it on yours. I think it's a great benefit on my '97. There have been many times where FWD cars couldn't make it up a southwest Virginia hill (one of the front tires would be spinning away) and I'd just put the pedal to the floor and the Caddy would bull its way up. The TC acts as a limited slip differential, because it redirects the torque from the spinning wheel to the one with traction (via the ABS). I haven't been in a situation yet where it would throw me off the road.

Just to satisfy my curiousity, I've nailed it three or four times from a dead stop. Each time the Eldo leaves rubber for about 8 to 10 feet. (both tires)

I'm not making a habit of this but no ill effects that I can tell. Don't want to waste my new Cooper tires.

Kent

KG, I'm sorry to hear you don't like it on yours.  I think it's a great benefit on my '97.  There have been many times where FWD cars couldn't make it up a southwest Virginia hill (one of the front tires would be spinning away) and I'd just put the pedal to the floor and the Caddy would bull its way up.  The TC acts as a limited slip differential, because it redirects the torque from the spinning wheel to the one with traction (via the ABS).  I haven't been in a situation yet where it would throw me off the road.

Hey Jason,

Yeah I was thinking the TC on your 97 is probably a little more advanced then on my 94(just a guess). Limiting the slip differential and help keeping the caddy from breaking is a good idea but all i feel that it does as the driver is apply the front brakes, right or left one depending on the situation. Perhaps this doesn't happen with your 97 but on my 94, when I need to go through 6-8 inches of snow on an incline, quite a few times the TC wouldn't allow me to advance up the snowy grade. A tire would spin causing the TC to engage which in turn locks up a tire. Now I'm stuck. I'm a good driver and no slouch when it comes to snow, ice, or slush but that TC makes it tough in certain conditions. This last winter I was coming down this hill and making a right turn at the intersection. About 6 inches of fresh snow on the road. I slowly start the turn and feel the rear end start to break loose. No big deal if you know how to use the rear swing to help make the turn (it's slick if you know how to do it and I've done it many times but not something you want to try to do). All is going well and then all of a sudden the TC decides to lock up the right front wheel causing the swing to speed up drasticly. After completing 2 donutes in the intersection and feeling like a jackass, I get stuck just 2 streets later (my street) because the TC won't let me telmark up the street. Long story short (hahaa), I get out, pop the trunk, and rip the TC fuse out, get back in and easily make it up the street. Sure the tires spun now and then, snow tends to cause that I hear, but the TC was/is worse then any snow I've had to deal with. That's just one incident. I won't bore you with the others.

How about your 97? Does it seem to work the same way? I have to admit Jason that my 94 TC scares me sometimes. It's just not smart enough for real world and it's infinitely changing road and weather conditions. I've never said anything negative about my caddy and mark this as my first..... well there is the "power" trunk issue but that's another story. B)

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Does the parking brake operate the rear brakes? As I dont own one yet, I have not had the chance to try a burn out, but why not hold the parking brake, which usually works the back brakes, and then step on the gas? In theory with the back brakes locked and the front brakes free you should be able to spin the wheels fairly easily. I am certainly not saying this would be good for anything, but it might be very impressive.

On my '92 Seville, I can "chirp" the tires without even trying. The '92 was equipped with the 4.9 which is a high torque engine, as well as a high torque transmission for that car.

When I hear it, I take my foot off the gas immediately, tires and repairs are just way too expensive and the "chirp" can attract the ear of law enforcement faster than you think.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

How about your 97? Does it seem to work the same way? I have to admit Jason that my 94 TC scares me sometimes.

I guess it works the same way, but I've never had it to spin the car around like that. I learned to drive in the snow in a RWD car with positraction, so I know very well how to use the rear end to help slide around a corner. Mom had a '92 Crown Victoria (RWD) with TC, and I thought it was pretty worthless. It was way overintrusive and halted forward progress quickly in the snow. In my Cadillac, I just put the pedal down and it'll charge up any hill. I remember one time in Arkansas, we were on my grandparents' ranch for Christmas, which is about 2 miles from the paved road. There was snow and ice of course, and going into town was no problem, even on the steep hills of that dirt (snow) road. The TC would engage and disengage as one wheel or the other would lose traction. It would just crawl right up the hills.

TC also comes into play all the time on dry pavement, as I'm sure it does with you as well. :) It only takes a jab to half throttle to break traction. I usually don't even know they're spinning until I see the TRACTION ENGAGED message on the DIC.

He is not wanting to just floor it and make the tires chirp. The new rage in Saturday night parking lots is the sustained burn out. Where you smoke the tires till they almost pop. The longer you can keep them smoking the better. I have seen front wheel drive Japanese burners go out and buy a special cheap set of tires and smoke them. This takes about five or ten minutes. The whole parking lot was screaming and breathing this stuff. It did not stop till he popped the tires.

If you want to do this in your caddy, just use the parking brake. It will lock the rear tires and let the front spin. You will have to push and hold the brake pedal in since it will not lock down while in gear. Try it first in a deserted location so if your foot slips off or the traction control takes over you will only risk killing yourself.

But since you are bent on destroying the car you just bought go ahead. It was probably your parents money anyway.

(Just for a little background. I bought a Honda CRX in 1989 and drove it for 12 years. Went through two engine swaps and all kinds of upgrades. I kept it clean and sold it for half what I paid for it new. Ya, I was a Japanese burner. Too bad that it only sat two people. Wish I still had it.)

a 1993 STS was my first car too. Don't go overboard with trying to prove to your friends that Cadillacs aren't old man cars by doing burnouts in the school parking lot. It seems like you're willing to spend money on upgrades, but forget that body kit, this is Cadillac. Upgrade the exhaust and the air filter and nobody will ever question the power of the Northstar engine. If you want to do extensive body work and the like then trade in your STS for a Honda.

On a 93' or 94' STS the traction control can be disabled through the diagnostics. I just did it and it will work.

1. Enter diagnostics and allow the system monitor to complete.

2. At "PCM" press FAN HI.

3. As each choice is offered press FAN LOW until you get to PCM Overrides.

4. At PCM Overrides press FAN HI, then press the WARMER button this will disable Traction Control.

5. To exit press AUTO

This will disable the Traction Control for 50 engine start cyles.

To reset the Traction Control follow the above directions, but on line 4 above press the COOLER button, this will enable the Traction Control.

Then press the AUTO button to exit diagnostics.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to add at line 4 that you need to get to PS24 to enable or disable.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived